2013 Tour de Cure for American Diabetes Association

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Buffalo Six

2013 Tour de Cure for American Diabetes Association

Post by Buffalo Six »

Hey guys, some of you may or may not know that I have diabetes. I was diagnosed in 2011 with type 2. It was a few months after my dad died and it contributed to a pretty low time in my life. I have been struggling to get on top of this thing and last year I started riding to get some control back in my life over the diabetes. I have a long way to go. I'm in shape.....if round is a shape, but the last month or so I have been hitting it hard and getting some seat time. Ok, so its in my basement with my road bike on a fluid flywheel trainer and a set of dvd spin classes but its something, besides.....its too damn cold outside!

So I have signed up for the Tour de Cure here in Wichita. It raises money for the American Diabetes Association. I am doing a 25 mile ride, as the 50 or 100 milers looked a bit beyond my ability at this point. I am not here asking for donations. If you feel like you'd like to donate I'll provide a link at the bottom. What I am asking from you guys is this, get involved in something. Anything. Get out there and participate. I dont care what it is. We are gamers. We also tend to sit in front of the PC and punch buttons a lot. But as gamers we are a competitive lot. Find something, set a goal and go out and do it.

I will now step off my soap box...... :D

If this is something you would like to donate to thats great, but I know money is tight at times like this so if you can swing I greatly appreciate it.

http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?px=849 ... g=personal

Thanks and carry on!
Gator

Re: 2013 Tour de Cure for American Diabetes Association

Post by Gator »

My wife volunteered at the one here in DC a few years ago and works every year with the JDRF too. I just donated on your page.

All the best!

-Gator
Silence is golden - Duct Tape is silver
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

Thanks Gator! I was trying to figure out who made that donation.....I found your FB page and saw Veg as a friend.

Thanks again for the donation!
Gator

Post by Gator »

So, when is the ride and how is your prep going?
Silence is golden - Duct Tape is silver
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

May 11th and training is going well....in the basement. I have a Kenetics fluidic flywheel trainer setup for my road bike, and a set of Spinervals dvds that keep me going (and kill me) on the bike. You know you had a great workout when getting off the bike is a 50/50 chance your legs will buckle and you will end up on the floor lol.

I'm doing the 25 miler this year. The pace and minimum speeds of the 50 and 100 mile rides were a bit over my head at this point. Weather is too inconsistent right now to get out on the road (heck snow forecast for this coming weekend) but the trainer is working

Thanks again Gator for supporting me on my ride