Getting gun licence, any advice

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

VEGETA

Getting gun licence, any advice

Post by VEGETA »

You may know I have some shooting experience but never got the licenses to own. I was planing on getting the license in the US, which was rather easy. but the one rule I kept breaking was remaining in the us for 90 days straight.

Well few weeks back, Friend took myself and the Wife to gun range ans we shot off about 200$ worth of ammo in a variety of weapons (ar15 carbine custom build, Savage308, custom sks, 22 rifle, 9mm handgun, 45 hand gun and a 44 handgun). Wife likes it, so for my birthday gift, we are both doing the classes to get the non-restricted (think hunting rifles and such) and the restricted (ar15 and hand gun styles) license.

I thought it was harder then it is to get the restricted but all it is is a extra course to learn how to deal with the more fun weapons PDT_Armataz_01_36 . Now I also found out in 2012 the Canadian government stopped the registration program for UN-restricted weapons. Basically it was costing to much cash, and most people only had UN-restricted and where just hunting and such with them. So only the restricted weapons are registered also also making life a little simpler in this whole thing.

So ya I know you guys are mostly in the Us but figured might as well ask for good sources of info on guns such as reviews, and such. For example any recommended web sites and magazines to look into. To give you a idea, the plan is to get at least a 22 sooner for target practice (as its CHEAP to buy/operate) but also would look into a hunting rifle as the wife wants to try hunting for deer/moose. And also say more int he fun gun category like the sks/ar15 idea. Wife loved the ar15 carbine and the savage 308 sniper rifle thing lol. I would say hand guns are not as big on the list but I see something happening in future. but for now it some about the info or where to get the info on guns.
Buffalo Six

Re: Getting gun licence, any advice

Post by Buffalo Six »

wait...you have to have a license just to own a firearm?
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Buffalo Six wrote:wait...you have to have a license just to own a firearm?
in Canada yes
IT's a federal license that works over all of Canada. IT basically says you have had the background checks and done the safety classes. Once done it means I can buy and sell (second hand, not as a retailer) guns. Without the license I can't even buy ammo for any gun. I remember in the US, (specifically michigan) they would do a background check and such but then if passed I could buy the gun idea. But at least the gun registration has lightened up a lot.
http://www.firearmscanada.com/how-to-ob ... nada-4259/

Also atleast more toys are available here then I originally thought suck as ar-15's
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

yes, Canada for sure. but then no stupid rules like some states here have.

ar15 Veg. forget the SKS. PDT_Armataz_01_12
Helmut
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Hammer wrote:yes, Canada for sure. but then no stupid rules like some states here have.

ar15 Veg. forget the SKS. PDT_Armataz_01_12
Never said I was getitng a SKS. but they are dirt cheap for fun lol
Softball

Post by Softball »

I am nearly finished building my 2nd AR-15. It's 99% done, I just need to get the muzzle brake that I want (Lantec Dragon) and it's done. This AR-15 build is an all black design (except the barrel), 20" Stainless Steel Barrel (1:8 Twist, 5.56), a 13" Keyhole Mod rail (Parallax Tactical), Noveske 60 degree selector switch, a Rainer Arms Raptor Charging Handle, Magpul Tactical adjustable stock, a Mako AR-43 Pistol Grip, Nikon 9x50 Scope w/ dual P-Series mouting rings, and some 45 degree mounted Iron sights (I'm on the fence with these sights (off brand), might have to switch them out due to the cheesy/cheap ass front sight). Once I get the muzzle brake purchased and installed, I will take pics and post them here.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

So to let you know, Finished the course for unrestricted and restrict guns. So now I am considered knowledgeable about guns, but I have to go through the entire licensing process including background checks and such. So maybe another 2-3 months O joy

Anyway, there are some major limits In Canada

For example here are limits on magazine size

Rimfire rifle magazines - no limits
Magazines designed for centerfire or rimfire pistols - 10 rounds
Magazines designed for centerfire bolt/pump/lever firearms - no limit.
Magazines designed for centerfire semi-automatic rifles - 5 rounds

For hand guns, because they are restricted, I need to be part of a club. the club will agree I am there and I can get a permit to transport the handgun between my house and the club only. Any other destination is illegal without the proper forums. Even going to a gun shop to have the gun worked on would require a permit. Now wife also got the course. So say I get the transport paperwork, dose that also affect her o so many questions.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

wow, suckage.
Helmut
Softball

Post by Softball »

5 round magazines? Jeez! Beyond retarded.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Went camping in NC and my cousin brought my AR-15 because I can't have it in my retard state. You wanna talk about suck? He forgot the magazines. Dropping rounds in the chamber one at a time. It worked, but just ain't the same. First time I even had a chance to fire it in 3 or 4 years...
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Hudson wrote:Went camping in NC and my cousin brought my AR-15 because I can't have it in my retard state. You wanna talk about suck? He forgot the magazines. Dropping rounds in the chamber one at a time. It worked, but just ain't the same. First time I even had a chance to fire it in 3 or 4 years...
Wjy cant you have it in your state. The gun laws in the US always messed with me as every state and county is diffrent. There is some provance/county restrictions here but generaly its on hunting. IE closer to majer they don't alow long guns and such just shot guns and black power because of the reduced range.
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Because it has a flash supressor and a bayonet stud, as a result of have a military surplus upper receiver. There are a list of seven things that the federal government deemed any two of which, in combination with a detachable magazine, make a firearm an assault weapon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_we ... eapons_Ban

Massachusetts prohibits assault weapons. They also have a list of approved manufacturers which I believe only Colt, and possibly Bushmaster, are approved for the AR-15.

I am with you on the state-to-state crap. Everything from turning right on red to what weapons you can own and what you have to go through to own them is different. In Virginia I walked into a pawn shop, the guy called to Richmond to make sure I wasn't a felon, and I walked out with an AR-15 I had ordered a week before. If he had had it in the shop I literally could have walked out that day. In MA we not only have to be licensed, but the town sheriff can deny you for any reason he wants. Even the colour of your hair if he so chooses.

And thus I have been bitching about how I want a Unitary government where the local government simply enforces what the federal government passes as law, more akin to the UK say (except they have their whole semi-autonomous stuff with Scotland and all that, so maybe not the best example). But owing to the way and reasons our country was created, the states maintain some level of sovereignty, and the fact that their sovereignty can't be revoked without the states' approval (hah, as if they would ever), it will never happen.

Some people would argue it's also a good thing. 50 states trying to solve the same problem, one is bound to come up with something that works which most, if not all, of the others will adopt. Possibly a good argument but I'm not sure I'm convinced.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

there is no longer a federal assault weapon ban, law or determination. it is only your state that makes the determination. each state that has such laws gets to decide for themselves what is an assault weapon. here in California if we have a bullet button we can have anything we want (well, kinda) because it no longer has a removable magazine.
Helmut
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Right. But they use the federal definition in MA
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Hudson wrote:Right. But they use the federal definition in MA
From my understanding unless its got a barrel under specific length that toy would be legal in Canada as a un restricted. The only note would be 5 round mag.

If the barrel length is under 660 mm I think (have to look up, that's seams to short) it then becomes a restricted and restricted are more painful. So I will be very specific on any carbines on the length.

The restricted toys tho the fourm you need to bring it to and from range vary between provinces. Where I am t will only cover to range I am a member at and home. But out west it would cover any range, gun smith and to the border with us. But again hats minor differences compared to the state to state rules.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

So we where told 6 weeks for the CFO (canadian firearms officer) to send us mail with a copy of the test results that we need to apply for the license. Been little over week and Wife got her test results for the Restricted test already. Now she still needs the un restricted papers and I need both of mine. but hey that quick a response bods well for getting this crap done sooner the hoped.

Now once we get a gun license, I can go to the store and buy a un-restricted gun and walk out that day with it. Now restricted is a little different and requires transport papers so little more effort there.
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

VEGETA wrote:
From my understanding unless its got a barrel under specific length that toy would be legal in Canada as a un restricted. The only note would be 5 round mag.

If the barrel length is under 660 mm I think (have to look up, that's seams to short) it then becomes a restricted and restricted are more painful. So I will be very specific on any carbines on the length.

The restricted toys tho the fourm you need to bring it to and from range vary between provinces. Where I am t will only cover to range I am a member at and home. But out west it would cover any range, gun smith and to the border with us. But again hats minor differences compared to the state to state rules.
Good to know, not that it's my primary reason for wanting to, but I have been urging the wife to think about moving to another country. Canada, as an English speaking country, having similar time zones (thus meaning I might even be able to keep my current job, since I work from home anyway) is high on my list.

Some Scandinavian countries wouldn't be so bad either, but there is a language barrier we'd have to overcome so that is always a minus.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

So last post I said we got the test docs back from CFO. We have since got out passport style photos (no smiling), references signatures and all the fun thing done. So we packaged it all up and sent it in to the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police ). they are the ones dealing with licenses across Canada. So now to wait for them to call references (they do call), do our background checks and da da da and respond back with a yes or no. Ya I know take the course pay cash, but even then you are not guarantied getting the license. You would think it would be reversed, get the checks done and if ok then get course done and then get license. Why spend the cash for a course that may be for nothing.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

So still going. Had my RCMP interview as I am going for the restricted level. Also my 2 people who signed the docs also had there interviews. Basically they ask am I nuts and such and thats it. Total junk interview but whatever. Wife I believe just waiting on one of her 2 people to do the interview. After that if they like it all I beleave it gets handed down to CFO level and then the CFO reviews and issues a license or not.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Hudson wrote:
VEGETA wrote:

Good to know, not that it's my primary reason for wanting to, but I have been urging the wife to think about moving to another country. Canada, as an English speaking country, having similar time zones (thus meaning I might even be able to keep my current job, since I work from home anyway) is high on my list.

Some Scandinavian countries wouldn't be so bad either, but there is a language barrier we'd have to overcome so that is always a minus.
Ok so ya since this I have found out anything that's got a AR action is automatically restricted class. Its odd as other toys exist that are just as capable as a AR but un restricted. Restricted means to and from range only idea with paperwork even stating the range. Royal pain.

but as said so many other toys. One fun thing we get here is the Narco brand thats not in the Us, which means we can get some cheep chinease toys suck as a m305 (m14), 1911's, and the t97 (civilian t95 chinease military rifle). All at bargain basement prices. Note these are NOT top end toys as finish not great by any means. General reports is they work well so if you want a fun toy for range only to just play with its fine and at fractions of the cost. 1911 for 350$ new is nice for just plinking.