Hudson - WINE question

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hammer

Hudson - WINE question

Post by Hammer »

do you have to run X to use apps under WINE?

I am setting up a dedicated Linux arma3 server, but performance is an issue along with a couple of other minor things (until they fix them).

so I am wondering if I can run the windows dedicated server under WINE but command line only, no X?
Helmut
Hudson

Re: Hudson - WINE question

Post by Hudson »

So, if I understand the Arma 3 Dedicated Server for Linux has performance problems and bugs that the windows version does not?

There is apparently wineconsole for running apps without X. I have never used it though. I have no idea if Arma 3 will run in wine, but 2 did with most of the problematic things being graphics, so it may be possible.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I'm a Riesling man myself.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Hammer

Post by Hammer »

will check that out Hudson.

yes, correct - Linux version has issues that windows version does not. go figure.
Helmut
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Doesn't surprise me. Planetary Annihilation has had it's own set of special Linux problems just probably because the developers do not have a lot of Linux development experience.

And then their was Wargame AirLand Battle, which would desync if you were playing on a different platform (know Windows and Linux would for sure, and think Mac games would desync from Windows and Linux too, but not sure).

Just growing pains as developers learn to program for a new platform (though Bohemia has some experience doing dedicated servers on Linux already, so what's their deal).
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Helmut