KVM

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hammer

KVM

Post by Hammer »

Hudson,
You will be happy to know I have decided to move my stuff (including this machine) from ESXi to KVM. The latest fiasco with ESXi 5.5 and hardware version 10 has me a bit irritated. plus I gain some efficiencies with my hosting and machine setup by moving to KVM.

My servers are a test bed for our company enterprise servers and data.
Helmut
Hudson

Re: KVM

Post by Hudson »

Nice :D

KVM is at the heart of enterprise virtualization solutions already, so it should be pretty stable.

Did you here about:
http://www.redhat.com/about/news/press- ... oin-forces

Should be interesting. I don't know much more than what's announced, but I can only imagine a better world from it.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

well, mgmt. is a nightmare - or at least not as well thought out as VMware. if I do not have an X session, what do you recommend?

it has been quite fun/challenging converting existing servers from VMware to kvm.

and the networking is also not fun to figure out. having an issue there.
Helmut
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Ya - that's where stuff like oVirt/RHEV and the competing stuff by other projects and companies come in in my book. RHEV gives you a management server, WebUI, plugins for console on whatever client, easier use of iSCSI/NFS/SAN storage so you can boot vm's on any kvm host in the cluster, etc., but I'm guessing something like that is way over the top for what you are trying to do right now.

You should be able to use the virsh command to stop/start/restart the vm(s) via ssh.

When you say no X session are you trying to use virt-manager to get a console?
If so maybe you can use the windows virt-viewer client to get by.
http://virt-manager.org/download/

You could also use Xming or something to get an X server on your windows host and then set up putty or something to do X11 forwarding and run virt-manager. Assuming you're on a wan close to the server performance shouldn't suck too terribly. At that point a VM on whatever laptop/workstation is almost as easy an answer.

I used to go through these pains as well when I was split with Windows and Linux stuff. Tools for one aren't available for the other and vice versa. It seems the workarounds are never very elegant.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

no, I am trying to avoid X altogether. web based mgmt. would be great. I am trying webvirtmgr right now, but it is kinda kludgy. I looked at cloudmin, but it is typical webmin style abstractness and sometimes nonsensical.

RHEV you gotta buy. I cannot buy anything for this, so need something free.

oVirt and Convirt both also seem over the top complex and for large data center roll outs. still might try their free versions.

right now it looks like I am stuck with command line, especially for converting from VMware to kvm. I know kvm can use the VMware disk directly, but I prefer native format if possible.

right now I have RLG3 converted, need to get the disk to virtio (will add a disk, get the drivers installed, and then change the xml to use virtio) and I have to get this stupid networking figured out. that is not explained well anywhere (how the bridges are used and the different types and most importantly, how to set them up).
Helmut
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

oVirt is the free upstream version of RHEV. Not sure about Convirt. I know there are lots of 'competitors' free and otherwise. I'll try to find you some good explanations/examples of bridging. I am can always write up something basic too, but I'm sure someone has said it better than I ever could. Admit it is not the most intuitive thing first time in.
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Also, for the record it is possible to configure an oVirt all-in-one system, but it takes some resources off the top that could otherwise go to vm's doing that. Good for testing and learning the product though. For 2 or 3 or 5 vm's on one kvm server it's probably still way way overkill and unwieldy, but throwing it out there anyway :)
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Hammer, are you doing any bonding, or just need a bridge for the vm's? Because you can set up a bonding master with two interface, and create the bridge to make use of both. Configuration can get pretty fun depending on your need.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

the bridge is for the vm's to communicate to the normal network.

I got it working today - game server is up and running on it. I did have a bond but libvirt/kvm did not seem to like that very much. so for now I removed the bond and am just bridging to one nic. finally, after some observations and experimentation I see how it works. not as intuitive as VMware esxi.

so maybe if the server runs well over the weekend I will try the bond again.
Helmut