Israeli F-15 landing with one wing

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hudson

Israeli F-15 landing with one wing

Post by Hudson »

Softball

Re: Israeli F-15 landing with one wing

Post by Softball »

Crazy! I remember something like this happened with an A10 in the first gulf war. It was heavily battle damaged and made it back to base.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

old news. But ya I have talked to Buff on this one many years back. apparently when the guy was still in the air they called up the emergency line for McDonnell Douglas and explained the issue. By the time they got back to them the plane had landed. They apparently they said the plane will not land. got to love it

As for the A10, several have come back over the years missing just about everything. Still can't believe they are trying to get rid of them again for cash for that f35 project. f35 will never be able to do the a10 job.
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

From that video it sounded like they couldn't even see how bad the wing was because of the fuel plume surrounding it. He said had he known how bad it was he would have ejected. But yes MD did say it should have been impossible initially and thought it must have been an accident during taxi. After working out the physics they eventually decided the flat, broad fuselage of the F-15 allows it to behave like a rocket at high enough speed.