Racing game recommendation

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hammer

Racing game recommendation

Post by Hammer »

I think Buff, Panzer and Jedi have the most experience with these games? anyone else?

looking for a recommendation of something that is simulation but not too simulation. something that can still be fun and is multiplayer.

thoughts?
Helmut
Buffalo Six

Re: Racing game recommendation

Post by Buffalo Six »

pc or console?
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

PC!

to be clear, I think something simulation enough to be challenging, but not over the top where it is the only game you can play because you have to put so much time into it.

I am wondering if dirt3 might be OK? I have seen negative reviews on steam, but people may have also been expecting too much. it is on the list of games that I have posted in the free pc games thread. I see both Jedi and Panzer have it already.
Helmut
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Both Assetto Corsa and Formula 1 2013 are highly recommended. I played Dirt 3 quite a bit and enjoyed it. It's what I would call a "mid-range" simulation. It's not arcade but it's also not hardcore like Grand Prix Legends or iRacing.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

asseto corsa is still beta? or they never finished their web site?

iracing is free with pay add stuff? can it be set to mid-range sim?
Helmut
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

I was thinking about rfactor1, it seems. does not look like any free, decent racing games though?

is dirt3 still viable? graphics, technology, etc.? I think a medium level simulation is probably just fine. seems like it might be something for people to see if they like racing if it is free (game code thing).
Helmut
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

GTR2 is also fairly accessible from a cost point of view, and the Power and Glory mod seem to make it much better.

so it looks like GTR2 or Dirt3 to see if people like racing? any other ideas?

or maybe the Race 07 stuff.

I also see that RaceRoom and RaceRoom2 have some free options, any opinions there? my guess is it is limited enough that it gets old quick to make you want to buy something. not sure if there is any mp in the free stuff.

it does seem like a wheel is a necessity?
Helmut
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

Asseto Corsa is looking good….no idea when it will officially release. Project Cars will release March 17th 2015. Both are PC, you will need a wheel and pedals

iRacing is sub based +extra for exotic and new tracks

go grab a used PS3 and get GT6…..its fun enough to play with little or no tuning (I have an app for that)
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

yeah - most likely giving up on the idea. the wheel/pedal requirement and lack of enough free time kind kill it.
Helmut
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Hammer wrote:yeah - most likely giving up on the idea. the wheel/pedal requirement and lack of enough free time kind kill it.

Sorry to hear that Hammer but yes, Assetto Corsa is a pretty high level simulation which will require a considerable time investment if you want to be a competent racer.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

me too, but if I try without the wheel and pedals I am going to suck and that will make it not enjoyable, so it will suck more. I was kinda looking forward to it, but oh well. not enough time, not enough money to spend on something for which I do not have enough time.
Helmut
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

Project Cars trailer..... Night in the rain on the 'Ring

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/10/24/pr ... n-the-rain