All DOW I armies in Soulstorm on Steam

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hudson

All DOW I armies in Soulstorm on Steam

Post by Hudson »

This is mostly for Ghost and Softball, but if anyone else has the games here's how to use your CD's to get access to all the armies in multiplayer with Soulstorm.
You can install DOW and Soulstorm via Steam, but not Dark Crusade or Winter Assault. You can get access to those armies in multiplayer with some monkeying around though.

1. Install both Dawn of War Gold and Dawn of War Soulstorm via Steam.
2. Create a w40kfix.reg file with the following contents, replacing DOW-KEY WA-KEY DC-KEY and SS-KEY with your keys as appropriate.

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\THQ]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\THQ\Dawn Of War]
"InstallLocation"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\Dawn of War Gold"
"CDKEY"="DOW-KEY"
"CDKEY_WXP"="WA-KEY"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\THQ\Dawn Of War - Dark Crusade]
"InstallLocation"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\Dawn of War Soulstorm"
"CDKEY"="DC-KEY"
"W40KCDKEY"="DOW-KEY"
"WXPCDKEY"="WA-KEY"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\THQ\Dawn of War - Soulstorm]
"InstallLocation"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\Dawn of War Soulstorm"
"CDKEY"="SS-KEY"
"DXP2CDKEY"="DC-KEY"
"W40KCDKEY"="DOW-KEY"
"WXPCDKEY"="WA-KEY"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\THQ\Dawn of War - Soulstorm\1.00.0000]
3. This is the nuisance step. You need to place DarkCrusade.exe from the CAB file on the Dark Crusade disk in the Soulstorm directory and W40kWA.exe in the Dawn of War Directory. I had trouble getting DarkCrusade.exe so I started the installer and it dumped it in the install dir almost immediately. I copied it out and canceled the install which clean up after itself. I was able to get W40kWA.exe out of the CAB file on the fourth disk in the Game of the Year set after copying the CAB file off the CD.

4. Double click w40kfix.reg. If you did this and followed my install/cancel solution to getting DarkCrusade.exe do it again now as it probably just wiped the registry entries relating to Dark Crusade.

5. Run Dawn of War Gold once and get to where you set up an account. You can leave it for good now. This gets the rest of the necessary registry junk to make Soulstorm happy about your DOW Gold install.

Start up Dawn of War Soulstorm and you should have access to all armies online. If it complains about a game not being installed correctly you messed up/typo'ed something, but otherwise that's all there is to it.
Hammer

Re: All DOW I armies in Soulstorm on Steam

Post by Hammer »

that is warhammer 40k stuff, right? if so Bazooka might be interested as well.
Helmut
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Yes, warhammer 40k. The old Dawn of War I stuff. We were playing last night - was fun.
Softball

Post by Softball »

Thanks for this info Hudson. I'll give this a try at some point. Havent had a chance to sit down at my computer to play again. I'll see if I can get this done over the upcoming weekend.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG