Windows 10 Tech Preview Out

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hudson

Windows 10 Tech Preview Out

Post by Hudson »

You can freely download the Windows 10 Tech Preview if you're interested in trying it out. I've been using it just a few minutes and the parts were it just starts to the Desktop and gives me a menu (even if I'm not _super_ fond of it) are my favorites over Windows 8 so far. If you missed it yes, Windows 9 is being skipped.
PanzerMeyer

Re: Windows 10 Tech Preview Out

Post by PanzerMeyer »

If Windows 10 has an updated version of DX which will be utilized by game developers then I might go for it.

If that's not the case then I'll stay with Win 7.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

10 is supposedly going to be a free upgrade to 8 fwiw. I mean your on 7 so I guess that doesn't matter too much, but throwing it out for anyone running 8
Bronurstomp

Post by Bronurstomp »

Just FYI from
http://www.winbeta.org/news/using-windo ... p-feedback

One of the main goals with the Windows 10 Technical Preview is for Microsoft to collect feedback to help shape the final version of the operating system, which is said to be coming sometime in summer 2015. The Technical Preview requires users to register with the Windows Insider Program, which allows users to submit their own feedback about the operating system... but is Microsoft collecting more than what you think you're submitting?

Taking a closer look at the Privacy Policy for the Windows Insider Program, it looks like Microsoft may be collecting a lot more feedback from you behind the scenes.

Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks. Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage.

This isn't the only thing Microsoft is collecting from Insider Program participants. According to the Privacy Policy, the company is collecting things like text inputted into the operating system, the details of any/all files on your system, voice input and program information.

One of the more interesting bits of data the company is collecting is text entered. Some are calling this a keylogger within the Windows 10 Technical Preview, which isn't good news. Microsoft is collecting data on text entered as is it trying to improve auto correct within the system, however I don't think many users will be happy with Microsoft watching text being inputted into the system. One concern would be whether or not Microsoft can see when you input a password or bank details.

Is there a way to turn this feedback collecting off? We're not sure. You could attempt to leave the Windows Insider Program, however we're unsure if that turns off all feedback collected in the Windows 10 Technical Preview. The only way you could be sure of this is going back to Windows 8.1 for now.

Not too long ago, Mary Jo Foley from ZDNet talked about a new way Microsoft is collecting feedback. She claims Microsoft has developed a "real-time telemetry system" which can "see in near real-time what's happening on users' machines." So it looks like Microsoft could be watching your every move.
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

I think Microsoft is going to be very bored watching my VM ;)

I also believe these things are extreme hype and the worst case scenario painted is hightly unlikely.

Headline may as well be Micr$s0ft the D3v1l and watching you!!! And given who I worked for, trust me, I'd be happy to be proven wrong for the negative publicity it would give them.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

problem is people gave feedback about the windows 8 system and they never listened and launched it. Guess what, many will not buy a windows 8 system or if they do will format and put 7 on it. So its great they want feedback, but I hope like hell they actually use the feedback.
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Ya, it gives me random feedback questions, actually just one so far about what I think about live tiles on the menu (gave a more detailed and kinder version of poitless), so hopefully they listen. I guess that one doesnt really hurt anyone but I think the biggest general complaints are already fixed, so if it is really a free upgrade Im all in.
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/07 ... ollection/

"[When you] enter text, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving autocomplete and spellcheck features."

I can see why that gives some people a wedgie, but again as the article says, "Does this mean Microsoft is planning to use Windows 10 to swipe everyone's online banking passwords? The chances are slim to none – although if you do your online banking on a prerelease test version of Windows with an experimental build of Internet Explorer, you deserve what you get."

Again they'll be bored at my VM and some cursory attempts at running a DCS World dedicated server (which I've decided to hold off on due to rumors that with Edge they'll be able to spit off the graphics and gives us a dedicated server with its release or soon after.)