Need some Car help!

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Stache

Need some Car help!

Post by Stache »

Does anyone in the forums work on cars? I need some help, have a 1998 chevy s10 with 4.3 vortec engine, auto, 4x4. has a no start condition. I have reset the timing, tdc on 1 piston I think, realigned distributor according to info on web, had the coil and coil controller checked, done a fuel pressure test and leak down test. cant seem to get it to start tho. any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. its my oldest kids vehicle and she's fretting over it not running. help!!
Tach Deneva

Re: Need some Car help!

Post by Tach Deneva »

Has it got gas in it?

Heh. That's pretty much the extent of my auto mechanics expertise.

See also: dead battery? bad starter? cthulhu?
"Shoo! Shoo! Go away! Oh God, he's got a monkey." -- Ms Purple
Stache

Post by Stache »

LOL... yea checked all those things. Thanks for the input though. :D
Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva »

BlackHawk*K

Post by BlackHawk*K »

hey Stache.

just a quick question, is there any firing at all? either regular fire, or maybe firing out of the intake?

remember, that piston 1 will be top dead center on both intake AND exhaust strokes. so its possible you set the timing up on the exhaust stroke. one way to tell what is what is to take the valve cover off and watch which lifter moves. its been a long time, but i believe top dead center of the intake side you will see the intake open and then when it closes that should be the intake stroke. ( if im wrong and someone knows better please let us know)

i had an older S10 for awhile and i had a no start issue, turned out it was a bad fuel pump. i was able to limp it along for awhile by hitting the gas tank with a hammer. ( was a bad connection in the pump) if you dont hear your fuel pump run for a second after you turn the key. there may be a issue there. if yours was the same as mine, there is also a fuel pump relay that can go bad. but i think Tach kind of covered that one.

i will check back on this thread and see how things are going.

BH*K
Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva »

The suspense...
Stache

Post by Stache »

thanks all for the input.. sorry it took so long to get back on here and update. got it fixed.. turns out the distributor was bad. had to replace.