anybody up on gpu comparisons

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hammer

anybody up on gpu comparisons

Post by Hammer »

please do not link the comparison sites!

i have an opportunity to grab a RTX 3080 OC (Zotac Trinity) for probably what I can sell my 1080Ti for +about $300 ($1016). however i do not see going above 1080p resolution and will not likely do VR.

is it worth it to do the upgrade?
Helmut
Grifter

Re: anybody up on gpu comparisons

Post by Grifter »

I’m afraid I’m no help here. Haven’t been really following the subject.
MasonSatchmo

Post by MasonSatchmo »

Hey Hammer . I’m a bit of a hardware amateur hobbyist, and going from a 1080ti to a 3080 OC is a MASSIVE jump in horsepower for that price . I’d snap it up for sure, simply because you don’t know how many years you’ll pull from the 1080 and the 3080 is newer faster and it’s an rtx card so ray tracing capable . As for DCS at 1080p , you’ll be able to move the sliders in the graphics settings further forward , but I wouldn’t expect a massive ROI there. What it will enable is the possibility to move up in the future to a 1440p monitor as an upgrade path (I think that’s the pc gaming sweet spot right now ) .
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

considering i am only going to run 1080p, the 1080ti is absolutely fine. the 3080 uses about 100W more power - if it is pushed to the max. i do understand about future though. i might be better off getting a nicer monitor right now though.

it is interesting that i can sell the 1080ti for more than i bought it for.
Helmut
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Hammer wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 10:49

it is interesting that i can sell the 1080ti for more than i bought it for.

You can thank the crypto-currency fad for that.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

yes, i am doing some mining myself. i do wonder if NVIDIA will drop prices back to normal once this fad is a bit more subsided. That is the big questions. Or is it more prudent to upgrade now while the 1080Ti is worth a bit more?
Helmut
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

nvidia didn't raise prices, they are still that price if you can find them direct on sale. The problem is people are snatching them up and reselling them for inflated prices as soon as they appear.

It's just like home buying. While your old house price goes up, so do the new ones. When the new house prices drop, so will your current one. So do you want to sell for less and pay less, or sell for more and pay more?

The big difference with the 3080 is the raytracing and DLSS. Now DLSS matters more at 4k resolutions than it does at 1080p, and RT is title-dependent, but more and more titles are slowing introducing it now that AMD offers it too and the consoles have it.

For now, sims and other older titles do not have it, and I don't expect it any time soon, but if you do other types of games it could be worth it to you.
There's also the certainty that titles that need more than a 3080 aren't likely to appear for years given the difficulty in getting one that good, so you will definitely be future-proofed.

I've had my 2070 for 2 years now and while I'd like a 3070 I don't NEED one. Maybe when the 4070 comes out.
The Jedi Master
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

$1000+ for a 3080 retail is ridiculous. a (X)X80 used to cost about $657-$700 (i.e. i got a good deal on my 1080ti for $625), not $1000+. they did raise msrp.

i know what they are going for though due to shortage - i have 60+ 3080's I am selling for work.
Helmut
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Hammer wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 10:18
i have 60+ 3080's I am selling for work.
Well damn. Are those currently stored in Ft. Knox or something similar? ;-)
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen