Introduction - Trichome

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Trichome

Introduction - Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Hello Everyone,

After reading many posts on WingmanFinder and looking at websites since I got into DCS in February it was Grifters post that caught my attention. Coop, dates/times work and just wanting to play as a
team.

I used to play Joint Ops online before life got busy and work happened. I loved playing in a squad. We were always medics. I miss those days a bit.
I live in Ontario (CAN) and I've been playing DCS single player - basic missions I created with static targets. No real threats, just to get used to the Air to Ground, Air to Surface loadouts and startups/taxi, takeoff and landings. Ive completed some in game training and a couple of regular missions. I've been 100% invested in the Hornet. I feel pretty comfortable "moving mud" now but definitely need lots of work in Air to Air and refueling.

I jumped online yesterday for the first time in the Hoggits training server and it went well. I'm trying to work on my comms also. I know its a big part of multiplayer but I'm worried about saying the wrong thing or to much at the same time. I'll get that sorted eventually.

I'm hoping to play some missions with all of you. I'm hoping to play with a consistent group of people if possible. I want to learn and I want to contribute.

I was wondering if I need to download Liberation 4.0 and DCE (?) to join in?
How do I find the servers? I searched RL and RLGaming with no results
TeamSpeak info? (probably in the server description?)

Cheers...and I hope everyone has a good Tuesday.

Rick (Trichome)

I'm on Steam and I run the Beta version
The modules I own:

F/A 18C
Super Carrier
FC3
Su33
WW2 Assets Pack
Persian Gulf
NTTR
Syria
Hammer

Re: Introduction - Trichome

Post by Hammer »

Trichome,
Welcome! Someone has been reading and researching. ;)

We would be glad to have you and us give each other a try. Mondays and Wednesdays at 5:30-6PM pacific are our start times, we usually fly for 1.5 - 2 hours. Sometimes on Mondays we do other stuff (ARMA III for the most part) but recently it has been DCS both nights. We do indeed fly latest beta, most here are well versed in or are learning the F/A-18C.

You do not need the download or install DCE or Liberation. I generally handle the mission generation tasks and server management with some backup from Grifter and a couple others. Right now we are trying out Liberation 4.0.

Have you contacted Grifter separately? Do you have teamspeak and DCS server info?
Helmut
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

BTW - we are pretty consistent. Some of us have been gaming together here for 20+ years.

And do not worry about comms, it will come. We only ask that there be no profanity or adult subjects - some of us have kids and are not on headphones. Plus it just makes for a better, cleaner, community.
Helmut
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Hi Trichome,

Welcome aboard and glad to have you join us. Hopefully, you find us to be a good fit. If you message me here or on Reddit, I'll be happy to share our server and TS3 info so that you can hop on and fly with us.

Hope to see you tomorrow night if you can make it. :-)
Bones

Post by Bones »

Hi Trichrome,

Welcome aboard! If you want to see how we are on comms, go to the DCS part of the forums and look at the “sorties” section and you will see many YouTube videos from past hops there.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Thanks for the welcome. 20 years!! That's pretty awesome.

Dates and time work and I have ARMA also but decided to dive into DCS. If I know we're going to play a round I can brush up on the basics ahead of time. I guess Ill check the ARMA forum section for any mod lists?

I should be good to go for tomorrow night and Ill reach out to Grifter for server and TS info. Noted re the language. Ill be mindful for sure.

Bones - I'll definitely check out those videos.

Thanks everyone!
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Hey Trichome,

I PM'd you the TS3 and DCS Server info. Out of habit, I also included a comment on decorum over comms, but I now see Hammer already mentions it here and so please disregard that comment as my standard blurb for new folks planning to fly with us.

Bones, that's a great idea about your recordings of sessions! I'm going to mention that to new recruits in the future!

Grifter-RLG
Bones

Post by Bones »

Hopefully see you tonight, Trichrome!

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Bones wrote:
07 Jul 2021, 10:44
Hopefully see you tonight, Trichrome!

v6,
boNes
Thanks.. I got TS (except for whisper) setup and I was just able to log into the DCS server to make sure it was okay and it seems to all be in order.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Nice. don't worry about whisper yet. if you are in Hornet you will not likely need it.
Helmut
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Trichome did you enjoy the session? Any feedback for us?
Helmut
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Welcome aboard Trichome!
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Morning....

I had a great time. Thanks. The first 10 minutes I think I was like a fish out of water...lol. RWR had me going bonkers and trying to listen and follow what was going on with everyone else. Grifter reminded me to turn down the RWR. Hadn't even crossed my mind...Oops.

I guess my only thought at this point would be to have a small brief together or a quick - this is the plan - before we rollout. I see the flight plan but I wasn't sure when we were departing, if together, and I kind of left Gator out to dry unfortunately.

Thanks again though. It was awesome and I'm already looking forward to the next mission.
Hammer wrote:
07 Jul 2021, 21:12
Trichome did you enjoy the session? Any feedback for us?
Bones

Post by Bones »

Normally we do brief before the mission via the forums. This campaign we are using is experimental or so to speak, so we've just been diving in the last week or so to try it out. BUt yes, check out

https://www.rlgaming.com/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=15244

as an example of how we do.

Nice flying last night!

v6,
boNes
Bones

Post by Bones »

BTW I went back with an F/A-18C after everyone left and took out about 4 or 5 more targets, including the MLRS that Hammer marked on the map.

I couldn't get the ATFLIR or the LITENING to send the coordinates to the JSOW-A...have no idea why. Isn't target designation enough when the JSOW-A is in TOO mode? I haven't launched any since before the more recent updates so I don't know if the procedure changed.

v6,
boNes
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Bones, I haven’t launched any since before the most recent updates either. As far as I know, TGT Designate should be enough to handoff to JSOW.

Trichome, totally agree with your assessment. Typically , we are a bit more organized and more coordinated in the beginning of the mission at least. We were a little too loosey goosey and spread to far apart imho. Wasn’t ever really sure we’re exactly people were. Occasionally we have a breakdown in our discipline in this fashion, everybody kind of doing their own thing. It’s some thing I think we’re working on. I think you make a good suggestion, a verbal brief at the beginning of the mission, even if it’s just a reminder of what was posted on the forums, is a good way to make sure we’re all on the same page and working together. If someone forgets to provide the verbal brief, someone should ask for it. I’m sure Hammer, Bones, or me will speak to it though at the beginning of the night. Most likely it will be me simply because I’m typically on earliest, but really anyone can do it. Our group has no formal command structure. Feel free to offer it up yourself if you wish. The more actively we’re all involved, the better I think. :-)