Tomcat Legend Dale Snodgrass Dies in Plane Crash

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Grifter

Tomcat Legend Dale Snodgrass Dies in Plane Crash

Post by Grifter »

I don't know if anyone else saw this, and so I'm posting it here. Dale Snodgrass was one of the most legendary fighter pilots to ever fly the Tomcat. Apparently, his private, single engine airplane crashed on take-off and he died in the crash. It's absolutely tragic and a terrible loss to the fighter pilot community. Just awful, and so I'm posting it here as I thought some of us (Bones) would appreciate knowing that one of the great ones has moved on.
Bones

Re: Tomcat Legend Dale Snodgrass Dies in Plane Crash

Post by Bones »

Thanks for the announcement, I heard about it from one of the F14 Facebook groups I’m on.

I did get to see him fly at Oceana in the F-86 a time or two. I think when I first came to Oceana he was commodore of the base at the time.

His exploits were legendary, but also controversial. There are many in the Tomcat community that revere him, but also a few that saw him as otherwise, especially maintenance guys. Either way, it is a tragic loss. I am reminded of my great uncle who died flying as a test pilot after a long stellar career in aviation. It’s a tragic way to go after surviving so much.

s!
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot