My PC

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hammer

My PC

Post by Hammer »

So my PC issue is not just my PC. It is almost ready to go, but I am working on transferring to my new M.2 NVME drive. Should not be too big of a deal. But while MY PC was down, my wife decided she wanted to redo my office. So that is not the majority of the delay: paint, move furniture, adding a desk, swapping furniture from one place in the house to another, etc. To top it off, there are several other micro-projects (not so micro actually) that she wanted done: new storage for kids toys in front room, more storage and bigger work area for her crafting area, etc.

I am close to wrapping all these up, but not likely top be on tonight unless it is to listen in while I work on my desk/PC.

But on top of all this, I am absolutely swamped with work.
Helmut
Hammer

Re: My PC

Post by Hammer »

What is my new PC:

Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC mainboard
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU
16GB RAM from old mainboard (just going with this for now, plan to go to 32GB again)
M.2 2TB HP EX950 NVME SSD
3080 OC GPU (already had this)
Helmut
Falker939

Post by Falker939 »

I tried Gigabyte over the years. But then it gets glitchy on me after about a year so, I went back to Asus - "both Gigabyte and Asus are made in Taiwan." Looks like a nice rig - hope you get it up and running.
Modify my post and see if I care - We're in the pipe 5 by 5
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I was going to crack a joke but I'll be nice and stay quiet. PDT_Armataz_01_22

Sorry to hear that you've been swamped with work lately. Hopefully the workload will lessen soon.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Hope it all works out for you and you can get back to flying soon. But having a happy Wife is priceless so I completely get it.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

to follow up, my mainboard that died and caused all this was an Asus. This was my first Asus for desktop/gaming. It was a workstation board with remote management, etc. It always acted somewhat oddly, even in the uefi BIOS my mouse never worked properly with the mouse cursor just jumping around and the screen glitching. What died on this was a over-voltage sensor died and kept seeing high voltage when there was none, and the 'protection' kicked in and would not let the board boot.

I have had Gigabyte's and Intel's (before they stopped doing desktop mainboards) in the past and had zero issues.
Helmut
Bones

Post by Bones »

That's too bad. I have an ASUS motherboard that has been serving me well since 2014.

Except that it eats up the button battery faster than I think it should. If you recall last night my system was acting weird...my clock couldn't even remember the time after sleep/shutdown. Swapped out the battery and it's fine now.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Speaking of the CMOS battery, I have my PC and monitor plugged into a anti-surge strip. For years, I've owned a monitor where the power button is tucked away underneath so that it's not an eye sore or casts an unwanted light when you're using the monitor. So, it's difficult sometimes to make sure that the monitor is really off, and I get a little paranoid about it. What would solve my apprehension is if I could turn off the whole system from the anti surge strip. The strip has a power button I can readily see. Will doing so drain the CMOS battery?
Falker939

Post by Falker939 »

Hey Hammer

I was just wondering how fast your computer loads up with the Internal Solid State Drive. Does it blink on?
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

i have not timed it, a few seconds. no more than 10 i believe. if i think about it, and turn it on, i will see about timing it.
Helmut
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

about 14 seconds from push of button to login screen. note i have an m.2 nvme ssd though. different than a sata ssd.
Helmut
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

My nvme is much faster than my SATA was. That said, if you're restarting it's slower than if it's using MS fast boot, which is basically modified hibernate.
The Jedi Master
Falker939

Post by Falker939 »

I get 17.5 seconds on boot up to the password screen , and 4.3 seconds from sleep mode to the password screen. . I went into Bios and found there is no option to remove the ASUS Logo on boot up.

It’s not 14 seconds, although even after the Windows 10 Update the new computer runs perfect and super fast so far. It can open and transfer my files in just a split second - open my internet browser in an instant - and surf the internet in a flash as if I was browsing through my own computer files in Windows Explorer. I would like to give all the credit to the CPU , however I believe the 10th Generation Mainboard has something to do with it. I imagine everyone will need to get the next generation Mainboard to keep up with Windows OS - or it will be more like a dial up connection - that will slow your computer down to a crawl.

I never heard of an MS fast boot. I will have to look into that.

Other thought:
I can’t get the dang Aura lights to change color – or even turn them off in BIOS – lmao. I seen a few videos that get very technical on the subject - with some sort of code you have to integrate into Window 10 - and I have no idea if it will even work. I'm starting to think I may have to replace the fans to change the color. It can’t be Aura all the time.. O_o
Falker939

Post by Falker939 »

This morning I found ASUS website offers the Aura Sync download for Windows 10. Aura Sync is an ASUS RGB products that can synchronize lighting with other Aura Sync products, including motherboards, graphics cards, monitors and peripherals. I just got the download and then I had to register my product,
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

Settings - system - power & sleep - add'l power settings - choose what the power buttons do - turn on fast startup.

If the box is checked, fast boot is on. If it's not, it's off.
The Jedi Master