Shooting locations which might surprise you

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

PanzerMeyer

Shooting locations which might surprise you

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I think all of us can think of certain films where the shooting locations seemed so convincing and authentic that we just made the assumption that the where film was shot was indeed the same as the location being depicted. Here are a few films which completely fooled me when I first watched them:

Full Metal Jacket - Film takes place in Parris Island, South Carolina and Vietnam but was actually entirely shot in the UK.

Amadeus - Film takes place almost entirely in Vienna but was actually shot in Prague.

Gladiator - The opening sequence battle in "Germania" was actually shot in the UK and all of the scenes that took place in Rome were actually shot in Malta.

The Blue Max - Most of the film takes place in Northeastern France but it was entirely shot in Ireland.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Hammer

Re: Shooting locations which might surprise you

Post by Hammer »

damn, and i thought this was going to be firearms ranges.
Helmut
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Hammer wrote:
29 Sep 2021, 11:59
Oh, that didn't even occur to me. LOL!
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Hammer wrote:
29 Sep 2021, 11:59
I thought the same.... PDT_Armataz_01_34

Im a member at this range. Nice little place. Friendly people.
https://silverdalegunclub.com/
Bones

Post by Bones »

Speaking of shooting locations, this is a funny website, but sad at the same time, depicting our home grown gun violence here in Chicago!

https://heyjackass.com/

It is continually updated.

As for movies, well, how about in "Top Gun" how it was supposed to be USS Enterprise....which it was....but it also was the USS Ranger and Carl Vinson and Midway.

Halloween 6: Was supposed to be Haddenfield, IL (which deosn't exist) and it was actually filmed in Utah (like we have the mountains visible in the movie in IL, c'mon...!)

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn: It was supposed to be Ceti Alpha VI but it turns out it was Ceti Alpha V

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Bones wrote:
30 Sep 2021, 11:27

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn: It was supposed to be Ceti Alpha VI but it turns out it was Ceti Alpha V

v6,
boNes
LOL!

One film that did crack me up when I found out its shooting location was the musical "Chicago" from 2002. You know, the one starring Catherine Zeta Jones and Renee Zellwegger. It was shot in (wait for it)....Toronto.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Bones wrote:
30 Sep 2021, 11:27

Halloween 6: Was supposed to be Haddenfield, IL (which deosn't exist) and it was actually filmed in Utah (like we have the mountains visible in the movie in IL, c'mon...!)

I thought Haddenfield was supposed to be in Ohio? Meh, Ohio or Illnois, same shit right? :D
Bones

Post by Bones »

Gotham City turns out was actually Chicago, hahaha

They probably could have filmed Chicago in Chicago if it weren't for the corrupt taxes.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot