Music Question

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

PanzerMeyer

Music Question

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I fully realize that most consumers now don't buy music on physical media any longer but in addition to only listening to music via streaming devices, it also seems that the concept of the "album" is mostly irrelevant. I say that because it seems most people stream playlists of songs from different artists and different genres. Among the people who I know personally, none of them stream albums in their entirety.

I know that RLG is an "older" crowd so I'm sure some of us here still buy music on CD's and LP's?
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Re: Music Question

Post by Bones »

I'm staring at a stack of 10 CDs that I just bought over the last few weeks. I still like CDs, and I think moreso because I also like looking at the art and packaging, and reading the liner notes, which is not usually available when you buy it digitally. I was at Best Buy the other day and was amazed at how big a space there was where there used to be CDs...

I buy alot on Bandcamp. You can buy the physical CD and you automatically get the digital version available for download in a good 5 or more formats. You can also stream your purchases through their app.

Every first Friday of the month (Tomorrow for example) it is Bandcamp Friday. What this is is when you buy music, the artist gets 100% of the money, nothing is paid to Bandcamp and sometimes the label. It's a great way for the artist to get as much money as possible for their work.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Bones wrote:
30 Sep 2021, 11:20
I was at Best Buy the other day and was amazed at how big a space there was where there used to be CDs...

I had to think about it for a while but I have not stepped inside a Best Buy since about 2016. Even by 2016, I noticed the section that used to be devoted to CD's and DVD's/Blurays was greatly reduced in size. Those sections must be totally gone by now like what you just observed during your visit.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Post by Bones »

It's also not as busy in there and is more empty and quiet.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Bones wrote:
30 Sep 2021, 20:56
It's also not as busy in there and is more empty and quiet.

v6,
boNes

Nope. Amazon definitely won that retail war.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

I try to avoid entering stores at all costs. The only thing I want to shop for in person is my food. I find that the buyers often just grab whatever and don't put a lot of effort into selecting quality vegetables and fruit, and that's really important to me. I will also occasionally go into REI for camping/hiking supplies if I really need to see the product in person or can't get it online. Otherwise, I would just assume order it and save myself the trip. Generally, I subscribe to and favorite certain playlists to stream. If I really love a song, it makes its way onto the iTunes playlist I share with Deb when we're driving north to backpack. But, even iTunes is antiquated now. The only reason why I still keep such a massive song list on my phone is so that I don't have to pay high data fees or lose coverage in the mountains. It would suck to have my streaming service cut in and out when I'm trying to listen to my tunes. So, I like the liner notes and all, but no I don't really look at that stuff anymore.