New game options for Monday or Tuesday nights

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

PanzerMeyer

Re: New game options for Monday or Tuesday nights

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Hammer wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 09:42
you can but it on GOG for pretty cheap (i believe) and maybe even steam. but it is nto allied force, it is the original falcon 4 cd that you need.

Ok, thanks. If RLG decides to play BMS then I'll check out both GoG and Steam but I really doubt Steam has it.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Hammer wrote:
16 Oct 2021, 18:51
I know you and I plated Elder Scrolls a bit together Softball - quite a long time ago.

How similar does ESO play to Skyrim? I absolutely loved Skyrim and played it through 3 times.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

i do not know, never had/played skyrim. Softball might know, maybe Grifter.
Helmut
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

[/quote]

Will do. Personally I think it's rather absurd that Codemasters releases a new sim on an annual basis but I'm sure that's a stupid requirement forced on them by F1.
[/quote]

Its all about revenue and driver changes. Have to keep the masses current I guess. I bought this because its the last year for Hybrid and Ill buy next year the first year of the new cars.... then Ill be done for a few years.
Bones

Post by Bones »

As for BMS: GoG has it. Then there are a bunch of updates to get it up to what the community is playing which is a tad bit of a chore but can be done....I haven't done it in awhile so I'm not sure what the process was (it may come back to me).

Another possibility: I mentioned before my friend helps run an Arma 3 server. They have the numbers so the missions fit and they don't get decimated. We've been invited. They used to do alot of mods, but now they decided to go without mods because people would have had to install them, and if they can't get it running, they gotta fix them, etc when people just want to get on and play.

They run Liberation on their server so it works out well. You go out, meet the objective, collect stuff to bring back to build up for the next mission etc. The alert level of the AI depends on how well you are doing, so if you did really well and got alot of resources, they might reinforce, or they may even figure out where you travel alot and place IEDs on your way to get back at you. If you kill too many civilians, your popularity goes down and the civvies may not be cooperative or maybe even attack you or help the enemy. Etc etc.

My friend said if he's free tonight he can let us on the server to see what it is like. I won't know until later though.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

You can buy Falcon 4.0 on Steam. But I think there is too much of a learning curve to it. Given we're getting away from DCS Monday's because of the labor involved in learning the jets, I think we should lean towards something a little lighter. IL2 or a tactical shooter would probably fit the bill. ESO might be an option for those who have it (I do not but would consider buying it). Given the members of our group, I think we'd be happier flying IL2 or doing a tactical FPS, which would be either Breakpoint, Wildlands, or Arma 3. Another option might be Division 1 or 2. But I imagine most of the group doesn't have it or has already played it to death.

So, we have two questions. What night do people prefer to play? and What do we want to play? I will set up polls for both.
Bones

Post by Bones »

My friend has the Arma server up tonight at 9 EASTERN

Here are the rules and they're common sense:

1. No racial slander, discrimination, bullying, harassment or verbal abuse towards others.

2. No impersonating an admin.

3. No purposely killing team members or destroying friendly assets including FOB structures.

4. No killing civilians/ destroying civilian assets.

5. No recruiting players to other servers.

6. Play your role; Medics must focus on maintaining squad health, Engineers must focus on maintaining a working fleet of armor and vehicles, build permissions holders must provide sufficient light vehicles for troop transport.

7. No comms-spamming. Keep radio chatter cordial to allow for all players to be heard.

8. Vehicle occupancy should be maximized, allowing all players the ability to ride in any available seat. No solo-ing or lone-wolfing a vehicle if another player is interested in joining.

9. Be patient with and welcoming to newcomers. Be helpful towards anyone who needs assistance learning the game mode and its intricacies.

10. Admins' interpretation and enforcement of these rules are final. Appeals are handled by the Game Master.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Bones

Post by Bones »

I also was thinking that if DCS is getting too much like the FPS run shoot run shoot thing, there is also the expanding and exploring the inner workings of the missions more than we have, such as proper formups, formation flying, proper attacks, etc rather than going lone wolf or kill squad and blowing things up. I mean, even the use of say a human ATC to properly clear you to take off or land or hold short on the runway can add more dimension and fun reality to the same old same old. Heck someone can even talk a strike on using the external views if need be (albeit they can't lase).

Just some thoughts in bringing some luster back to DCS. There is burnout but there's also complacency.

If the learning curve is a problem, then by not having a training night that makes the problem worse, I think. How else can you practice up and have someone help you unless you just go it alone?

v6,
boNes
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Bones wrote:
19 Oct 2021, 11:38

Just some thoughts in bringing some luster back to DCS.
v6,
boNes

Besides Hammer, I don't think anyone else mentioned that they were getting bored with DCS. As for me, I had no problem with our sessions since it keeps my skills well oiled! Sure, I have some plane modules that I have to start using which I've barely touched but it's still a great feeling to know that my skills and knowledge with the planes that I fly frequently will remain competent.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Yes, I believe I am the only one. I am not bored though. I do not have the time for training myself, can barely make it on at the designated times, and during my PC outage I lost whatever meager skills I had. This just demonstrates the dedication and time one has to have to be even mildly competent. Due to those reasons I just cannot get the motivation back. And I have stated, nobody needs to stop doing anything due to my shortcomings/issues/etc. That would not be fair to anyone else.
Helmut
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

I am also a tad burned out on DCS. Complacency and burnout go hand in hand. As I've been a bit burned out, I'm less eager to log on and follow SOP for a variety of procedures and events during flight. While I've tried to be mentally present during ops, I've been less keen on taking the leadership role, asking people to form up, or doing anything of that kind. When Hammer expressed some reticence, I found myself realizing I needed a break too. That said, I still look forward to our Wednesday night sessions, and I'd be happy to do a lot of what you're describing here, Bones. Following SOP, having folks simulate FAC or ATC would be great too. I also agree that we need a practice night to train, no argument there as the sim is so dense, but I think I personally need a break from DCS more than I need the training right now.
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Whats BMS and GOG?
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Trichome wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 09:58
Whats BMS and GOG?

BMS is a heavily modded version of Falcon 4.0.

GoG is an online game distribution service where you can buy hard to find older games as well as newer titles but the old "legacy" games is really their niche.
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

I think part of it is the inherent limitations of the DCS missions we're running.
Instead of the mission starting and us all being on the runway at the same time while the enemies are in their positions, we're all joining at different times, spawning enemies "wherever" on the map, getting caught with the wrong payloads for what just popped up...
These dynamic missions are not conducive to realistic ops. Sure there's a bit more overhead involved with starting up a mission, everyone joining, flying it, starting a new mission, etc, but it also allows deeper missions like the kind you see in SP campaigns. Even dynamic campaigns don't have dynamic missions.

Maybe we need to spend some nights flying scripted missions where there are beginnings, middles, and endings?
The Jedi Master
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

The issue is we aren't playing a dynamic mission or campaign like liberation.

We're playing on a training map..... im 100% prepared to setup a actual campaign to play. If I know on Tuesday who's playing Wednesday. Ill get a whole mission planned and setup the flight plans YOU want. SEAD, DEAD, A2A.... whatever.

This way we're playing for a common goal but everyone has their part....

I'm not sure how Liberation works on the server side though. Hammer, if I create the mission and email it to you, is uploading it for a Wednesday flight an option?
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

yes
Helmut
Bones

Post by Bones »

Trichome wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 17:32
The issue is we aren't playing a dynamic mission or campaign like liberation.

We're playing on a training map..... im 100% prepared to setup a actual campaign to play. If I know on Tuesday who's playing Wednesday. Ill get a whole mission planned and setup the flight plans YOU want. SEAD, DEAD, A2A.... whatever.

This way we're playing for a common goal but everyone has their part....

I'm not sure how Liberation works on the server side though. Hammer, if I create the mission and email it to you, is uploading it for a Wednesday flight an option?
WE used to do this regularly. Hammer used to have briefing slides for us and we'd sign up for roles. We kind of strayed away from it because we were only doing it for PG and maybe Caucuses but ii was fun because we'd all form up relatively quickly and then go do our assigned roles, then the survivors would form back up and RTB.

But, Hammer was the one putting in much of the hard work making briefing slides and photorecon shots and such and I know he doesn't have as much time anymore and so on. If Trichome is willing to give it a shot, or at least help Hammer, that would be cool. Trichome, you can see some examples in various posts in the past for mission sign-up/sessions.

Grifter, I understand your feelings as well, as you recall I felt that more than a few times. I'm open to the one night being the wild card (DCS/Arma/whatever) as that was what we implemented before with Arma but Arma kinda burned us out but now it seems like we have some glimmers of solution there. Trichome, I talked to Drew (callsign Creeper) yesterday and he said he can show you how to make the missions, and it sounds just right because he said the only ones he's made have been smaller squad type missions with and end objective and so it sounds like what we need.

Grifter, I can take the leadership role more often if it makes you feel better...I admit being shy in that role, but I'll never get my own command without being a flight leader, hahahahaha.

And now that they've got target aspect angles fixed, AWI in the Tomcat will be so much better. We did decent last night, despite the patch hiccups.

v6,
boNes
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

[/quote]
WE used to do this regularly. Hammer used to have briefing slides for us and we'd sign up for roles. We kind of strayed away from it because we were only doing it for PG and maybe Caucuses but ii was fun because we'd all form up relatively quickly and then go do our assigned roles, then the survivors would form back up and RTB.

But, Hammer was the one putting in much of the hard work making briefing slides and photorecon shots and such and I know he doesn't have as much time anymore and so on. If Trichome is willing to give it a shot, or at least help Hammer, that would be cool. Trichome, you can see some examples in various posts in the past for mission sign-up/sessions.
[/quote]

Im reviewing one of the posts you mentioned (because it more fun than my actual work...lol) and it certainly is pretty detailed. Maybe ill try and create 1 mission plan with the screenshots etc and post it to see if Im on the right path. How many flight plans, what jets, what preferences for missions? I can create 1 flight plan or 10..... I can setup loadouts etc. Maybe Ill just do 5 flight plans for now (?)... Hammer if you have any feedback or tips before I get rolling please let me know.

[/quote]
I'm open to the one night being the wild card (DCS/Arma/whatever) as that was what we implemented before with Arma but Arma kinda burned us out but now it seems like we have some glimmers of solution there. Trichome, I talked to Drew (callsign Creeper) yesterday and he said he can show you how to make the missions, and it sounds just right because he said the only ones he's made have been smaller squad type missions with and end objective and so it sounds like what we need.
[/quote]

Can I get his STEAM info? Or can he add me? (my friend code 1164138954) Im going to focus a bit on DCS now that I know we have a semi plan for liberation. But if he can spare sometime Id like to pick his brain about a few things. #1 is scripting!! why do they make is so complicated. And #2 triggers..... If I can get some help on that and a few " you should know this" pointers that would be awesome to start.

Thanks!!!!!
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

So the results from the polls suggest that most people can meet on Tuesdays. However we are pretty divided on which game to play. GR Breakpoint is not really an option because only allows for four people in multiplayer. Also some of us don’t have it. The best option may be ARMA 3. Most of us have it. Bones’ buddy has a server up. Problem is that some participants on the server may curse, and that can be offputting to some of us, myself included. Even so, I’d be willing to give it a try on Tuesday nights. Sever info is in this thread. If you guys are interested in playing ARMA 3 on that server or on our own, let me know. I’m happy to join. We can talk about it more too. Some may have reconsidered and wish to pursue IL2 on Tuesdays, and we can do that instead.

Grifter
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Between Arma3 or IL-2 I would prefer the latter.