The death of cinematic music?

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

PanzerMeyer

The death of cinematic music?

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Someone at work today asked me a really excellent question. It went "Name a film soundtrack that came out WITHIN the past 20 years that you think is so brilliant that you can listen to it over and over".

I had to think really long about this and I came up with nothing. I started off thinking of scifi films since that is my favorite genre. The JJ Abrams Star Trek movies have a pretty good main theme song but the rest of the music is forgettable. Prometheus and Alien Convenant? I don't remember those scores at all and I've seen those movies multiple times. The Disney Star Wars movies? Absolutely nothing memorable except for the recycled music that was used from the original trilogy.

I'll be curious to read the contributions from other members and please stick to FILMS. No tv shows/series.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Re: The death of cinematic music?

Post by Bones »

"Inception" by Hans Zimmer.

Heck anything Hans Zimmer does. Even back in 1996 when he did "The Rock" still sticks in my mind, or 1995's "True Romance." That song is even used in commercials. There was also "Gladiator" which he did with a member of one of my favorite bands Dead Can Dance. That was in 2000 so barely 20 years..."Black Hawk Down" is right on 20 years and those scores are still in my head, so good.

But getting back on track..."The Social Network" was a great soundtrack, as was "Soul"--both Oscar winning soundtrack from Nine Inch Nails' Trent Reznor (and I guess I have to say Atticus Ross). He also did good with "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo."

Then there is the theme for Marvel Studios and also the them for the "Avengers." But those are choice tracks.

Oh, and I also really liked Daft Punk's "Tron: Legacy" soundtrack. And whoever did the soundtrack for "The Last Samurai."

Yeah I kinda shotgunned my answers.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

When it comes to Hans Zimmer I think his best work by far is his score for "Gladiator". While the music he did for the Chris Nolan Batman movies is pretty good, I find a hard time actually remembering the music until I go back and watch those films again. It's not music that "sticks with me" like his score for Gladiator does.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Post by Bones »

His score for Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, The Rock, Inception, The Dark Knight, and True Romance, certainly stick in my head.

Did he do "Crimson Tide?" That one sticks in my head too.

We saw him play a concert once a few years ago, it was great hearing these scores and going, "Oh, yeah! That was such and such!" He's got an amazing cellist.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

The LOTR films still count as within 20 years ago. ;)
I really liked 2005 King Kong's too.
I also thought the SW prequels had good scores, although not as great as the original trilogy.

Now if you say last TEN years, all bets are off. Star Trek, Hobbit, Snyder-verse, Marvel...

In fact, the only 2 themes that stick in my head from within the last decade are literally 10 years old--the themes to Game of Thrones and the Avengers theme.

The new Dune is good, and Zimmer score is nice, but frankly Toto's was better. :)
The Jedi Master
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

The movie "Oblivion" has a great sound track that I actually listen to all the time, done by M83.