So what are the "trendy" places now to discuss sims?

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

PanzerMeyer

So what are the "trendy" places now to discuss sims?

Post by PanzerMeyer »

To anyone who has been paying attention it's quite apparent that the traditional internet message board has been declining for several years now and as far as discussion about PC games go, it's my understanding that Reddit is THE place to go. I remember Grifter mentioning previously that he has discussed sims on Reddit with regularity. I just find it interesting how much the advent of social media has changed the internet.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Grifter

Re: So what are the "trendy" places now to discuss sims?

Post by Grifter »

When it comes DCS, the two major places to discuss it are on the Eagle Dynamics forum and Hoggit, a Reddit community. In some ways, Hoggit is better than the ED forums. ED is known for censoring posts and banning users for complaining or even raising valid concerns. But, at times, I have found Hoggit to be a bit toxic. We all have our gripes with the sim. The problems with it are grounded in a ED's poor management and the fact that game is built on a framework of now obsolete coding. These are valid concerns, but sometimes Hoggit go on diatribes about it and frankly it doesn't change anything. The sim is the sim and it's not going to change at this point. So, I would recommend Hoggit with that caveat. Honestly I don't really use the ED forums unless I'm Google searching for something in particular and something pops up in my search.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Thanks for that helpful info Grifter. For what it's worth the DCS forum on SimHQ is still moderately busy but the website overall is a shadow of what it used to be.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Post by Bones »

Grifter,

As PM knows, I used to be posting ALL the time in JF-18's forum on SimHQ and then started to post more and more in the Community Hall as JF18 fell to the wayside. But I used to post there all the time too. Work was getting too busy in the later years so I couldn't post as much as I used to, and when I got into DCS, all my time was spent in their forums learning things. So now I rare;y go to SimHQ. I still pop in once in a while but I'm so not in the habit of being there that I have to remind myself to do so. So my chances at beating PM as SimHQ's top poster are now down to nil, hahaha

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Out of curiosity Grifter I looked up your SimHQ profile and I see you have a total of 11 posts. The last time you visited the site was in 2009. So yeah, fat chance of beating me for the top poster spot! ;-)
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

STEAM has a discussion Forum on DCS also. I sometime check that out for info too.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Trichome wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 05:12
STEAM has a discussion Forum on DCS also. I sometime check that out for info too.
What's funny in my case is that I've had Steam since 2004 but I probably have at most about 100 posts among the different Steam forums. I usually only post when I'm having an issue with a game and I have a burning desire to find a solution.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Right, I was more of a lurker on that forum.