Printer Recommendations?

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Grifter

Printer Recommendations?

Post by Grifter »

Hi guys,

So I've owned Canon MX340 for years now, but the drivers are no longer going to be supported by Windows 11+. This printer also does not have wi-fi capability and so it's rather inconvenient to use. I'm looking for a printer that is reliable, easy to use, is wi-fi capable, and prints in B/W or color. I don't need it to be a fax machine or anything like that. Do you guys know of any printers I should consider?

Thanks!

Grif.
PanzerMeyer

Re: Printer Recommendations?

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Where I work we use the HP Laserjet Pro M404. It's surprisingly light (weight) and relatively small and it has WIFI capability.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

laserjets are generally not affordable for home users, especially color. we do have an older laserjet 1300n that I got from the company I shut down, and it is great for home use but you are not likely to find them any more (I also have 20+ toner cartridges for it). But it is also not color.

we have recently looked for a new printer as well; we currently have a Canon MX870 but we can no longer find 3rd party ink refills for decent prices so have been looking for a new printer. It is difficult to find anything that seems to have good reviews. We are probably going to get an ink tank printer so we do not have to deal with ink cartridges, and it will likely be a Canon and my wife (who is a graphics artist) really likes the way the MX870 prints photos, etc. It may not hold for a new model, but based upon experience would lean towards Canon.

I did look at color laser, but they generally do not print photos as well as inkjets, believe it or not. Despite the above comment, they are becoming more affordable but the quality may not be there yet. More research is needed.
Helmut
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Right, I was just talking to my wife about it and we really don't need to print graphics or in color. So we're leaning towards a laserjet. Consumer Reports is recommending a few by Brother, but I've never owned anything by them. I've owned my Canon MX 340 for at least twelve years. It's a shame that the drivers are no longer supported because there is nothing wrong with the printer. What a waste. However, I really won't miss the expensive ink cartridges.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

i would recommend HP for a laser printer. Maybe you can find a 1300N, might be good enough. Like I said I have plenty of toner cartridges. But, it does have a bit of trickery to install the drivers.
Helmut
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Thanks, I'll have a look at HP.
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

We have an Epson ET 2720 here. I dont use it much but my wife is a teacher (teaches JK/SK) and she uses it pretty often. Hasn't let us down. We are not printing any pictures its usually documents or shapes and basic graphics stuff for the kids at school.

https://epson.ca/For-Home/Printers/Inkj ... C11CH42202
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Thanks Trichome. I'll check it out!
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

I have a canon and it does more than we need like scanning and works pretty well. I will look up the model number. It was reasonable and I order a $50 bulk cartridge set of ink off brand online.
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

It's Canon TR8520. My wife has a canon ivy for printing small stuff for her journals and daily planner. Limited to small size but she loves it.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Cool, I'm thinking of sticking with the Canon brand. Thanks!