House of the Dragon

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

PanzerMeyer

Re: House of the Dragon

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Bones wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 06:09
So, Panzer, how's that for family dysfunction? When was the last time you were woken up in the middle of the night because your son slashed his cousin's eye, and then his mom tried to stab you with Valeryan steel? Guess that family vacation was over.

King Valyrs, at this point, reminded me of Ed Norton's portrayal of the king in "Kingdom of Heaven," down to the (half) face mask. Given all the ailments and the stress he had, he really had a good long run! I'm thinking he's going to get an Emmy nod.

v6,
boNes
Great post Bones and I absolutely agree Paddy Considine should get an Emmy nod for his role. I also think Matt Smith should get one too.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Post by Bones »

PanzerMeyer wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 06:18
Bones wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 06:09
So, Panzer, how's that for family dysfunction? When was the last time you were woken up in the middle of the night because your son slashed his cousin's eye, and then his mom tried to stab you with Valeryan steel? Guess that family vacation was over.

King Valyrs, at this point, reminded me of Ed Norton's portrayal of the king in "Kingdom of Heaven," down to the (half) face mask. Given all the ailments and the stress he had, he really had a good long run! I'm thinking he's going to get an Emmy nod.

v6,
boNes
Great post Bones and I absolutely agree Paddy Considine should get an Emmy nod for his role. I also think Matt Smith should get one too.

Yeah Damen is pretty brutal.

"He can keep his tongue!"

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Panzer,

While I’d agree with your interpretation that the first amendment protects United States citizens’s freedom of speech, specifically from government persecution in retaliation for airing grievances, the amendment has broader reach and application than that where art and journalism are concerned. Of course, both journalism and art can be used to air said grievances, but they do not necessarily have to be doing so to enjoy the benefits afforded to them under the first amendment.

Falker,

The original discussion was concerned with media’s penchant for gratuitous violence and sexual content, and the negative effects that it can have on our culture.

You argued that drugs were to blame, and I conceded that their influence on American culture is certainly substantive and significant, but I rejected the idea they play as large a role as you suggested, that they are the primary reason for unnecessary violence and sex in our media, or even a broader moral decline in our culture.

I assume this clip from Deep Cover is intended as a rebuttal to my argument that the dangers of Marijuana are overblown. The lecture in the film, however, is about the horrifying effects of crack cocaine on infants. No one is disputing the tragic and horrible effects of drugs like crack or heroin, but this film clip doesn't prove your argument that Marijuana is a gateway drug. I do agree that the opioid epidemic is in large part due to greedy pharmaceutical companies and doctors over prescribing these drugs, creating addicts and exacerbating this country's drug crisis. But, this argument, also doesn't prove that Marijuana is a gateway drug. In either case, you would need to cite scholarly research that strongly indicates Marijuana is indeed a gateway drug.

But, again, whether or not Marijuana is a gateway drug is really beside the point. And, to be clear, I'm not disputing that this country is in the midst of an ongoing drug crisis. The question we were discussing here is how much of an influence drugs have had on our culture's moral decline, and again that assumes there actually has been a moral decline. To substantiate that claim, you would need to provide evidence from scholarly works. 

Were you referring to me when you wrote "professor"? If so, what was your intended tone? If I've offended you in some way, please understand that I've tried to be thorough and thoughtful in my replies to your posts so as not sound disrespectful or seemingly dismiss your assertions without due consideration. In turn, I also had hoped to offer you and others here reading this thread some of my thoughts on the matter.

Hammer's probably right to move this debate to a separate post. 
Bones

Post by Bones »

Grifter wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 22:38

Hammer's probably right to move this debate to a separate post. 
Agreed. In my SimHQ days this would go under PWEC.

Plus, talk about a hijack! I tried to bring it back on topic to House of the Dragon but ran out of episodes haha.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Bones wrote:
13 Oct 2022, 06:04

Plus, talk about a hijack! I tried to bring it back on topic to House of the Dragon but ran out of episodes haha.

v6,
boNes

Only 2 more episodes left for this season. We know that the poop will really hit the fan now that Viserys is gone.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Post by Bones »

PanzerMeyer wrote:
13 Oct 2022, 06:13

Only 2 more episodes left for this season. We know that the poop will really hit the fan now that Viserys is gone.
Yeah! the vultures have been in holding for so long. And now that Viserys thought Alicent was Anerys and slipped about the Song of Ice and Fire, she has some leverage.

Viserys' death was probably one of the most excruciatingly lonely ones I've seen ever.

So...what happened to the Valeryan guy who had his death faked and took off with his bf? I wonder if he will turn up later?

I wonder if they will time jump up to Game of Thrones. They seem to have no problem with time jumping 20 years or more at a time.

v6,
boNes
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Bones wrote:
13 Oct 2022, 11:27

So...what happened to the Valeryan guy who had his death faked and took off with his bf? I wonder if he will turn up later?

Excellent question and right now that is a mystery to everyone except George RR Martin and the other producers. My gut feeling is that he will turn up again at some point in the future.
Bones

Post by Bones »

Did you realize that the Valeryan dagger that Alicent grabbed from Viserys to slash Rhaenyra was the same dagger that Lord Tyrion had and later Arya used to kill the Witch King?

pretty cool

v6,
boNes
Last edited by Bones on 17 Oct 2022, 12:15, edited 2 times in total.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Bones wrote:
13 Oct 2022, 18:42
Did you realize that the Valeryan dagger that Alicent grabbed from Vaserys to slash Anarys was the same dagger that Lord Tyrion had and later Arya used to kill the Witch King?

pretty cool

v6,
boNes
Oh I didn't catch that at all. How did you find that out?
Bones

Post by Bones »

My brother pointed it out to me. I guess it is held in high regard too--you will see that it is on a special display stand in the king's chambers as well.

v6,
boNes
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

In episode 9 you get a really good look at the dagger as Alicent gives it to one of her sons and yes, it is definitely the same dagger that Alia uses almost 200 years later. Cool.
Bones

Post by Bones »

Love these Easter eggs!

Or dragon eggs...!

v6,
boNes
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

PanzerMeyer wrote:
18 Oct 2022, 03:55
In episode 9 you get a really good look at the dagger as Alicent gives it to one of her sons and yes, it is definitely the same dagger that Arya uses almost 200 years later. Cool.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Big a$$ dragon: 1
Tiny dragon: 0

Bones will know what I'm talking about.
Bones

Post by Bones »

PanzerMeyer wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 03:29
Big a$$ dragon: 1
Tiny dragon: 0

Bones will know what I'm talking about.
I actually didn't watch the episode until last night and because of the digest, I accidentally saw this post. But no harm no foul. IT stuck in my head what you said when I watched it but when she was giving birth they kept flashing a dragon face roaring and stuff so I was like, wait, is she giving birth to that "tiny dragon?"

haha.

But yeah, anyway, what a way to start a war. This is how a season finale should end, not like the last few GoTs ones.

v6,
boNes
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I'd say that Vhagar is roughly the size of a Boeing 747.
Bones

Post by Bones »

While Arrax is a Cessna 172 (and that's being kind!)

Haha

v6,
boNes