Missed Last Night...DCS 8/29/22

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Cr33p3r

Missed Last Night...DCS 8/29/22

Post by Cr33p3r »

Sorry I didn't get on last night. I was walking through the woods and swamp all day and just too exhausted to keep my eyes open. I hope to be on this evening and Wed too.
PanzerMeyer

Re: Missed Last Night...DCS 8/29/22

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Um..were you looking for Big Foot or something? lol
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

HA ha. not quite but I did look for the swamp thing. Looking for wetlands flagging with a surveyor. Saw a box turtle and black snake but he was a small one. It was 90 and quite humid.
sewerline.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

"Run Through The Jungle" by CCR come to my mind now...
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

That seems like such an odd place for a sewer (?)... Are there residential or commercial building in that area if its a wetland area?
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Putting on my engineer's hat: All water flows downhill unless pumped. so, most drainage basins all flow towards the creek. Even neighborhoods that have been fully developed and the creek "piped" through storm culverts still drain naturally towards the creek. So, the collection sewers in your neighborhood all drain downhill towards the stream and then the interceptor sewers, like in the pic, take it further downstream to the treatment plant. In this location, a lot of the development has been closer to the roadways but the sewers still drain towards the main sewer down by the creek. I'm sure over time all that wooded are you see will further develop right up to the wetlands and creek. We're taking a 40 yr older sewer that is 8" and 12" diameter and going to put in 12" and 15" diameter for the buildout of the basin (we're at the upper end). Fun stuff I geek out on.

so I was in the woods but only 100yds from a lot of development up the hill.
long creek.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Plus, the wetlands was there way before the development was and building restrictions prevent developing the wetlands and destroying them without mitigation, creating wetlands some place else.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Fascinating stuff creeper. Thanks for sharing that! The "wetlands" down by me is something called the Everglades. PDT_Armataz_01_14
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Thanks for that explanation Creeper....

Makes more sense to me when I see it with the maps picture. Looks like there's a nice bit of a green belt in that area,
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

PanzerMeyer wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 10:42
The "wetlands" down by me is something called the Everglades. PDT_Armataz_01_14
which despite its size is itself under duress... :(
Helmut
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Hammer wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 11:43

which despite its size is itself under duress... :(

That's because everyone and their dog keep moving to South Florida. The populations for Miami-Dade, Broward, Monroe and Collier Counties have all risen significantly since the 1990's. Florida as a whole is now only behind California and Texas in population and both California and Texas are much bigger States!
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

I'm not an ecologist with knowlege of the everglades but I did read somewhere that further north, diverting water for power cooling away from draining south has reduced drastically the flow of fresh water through the everglades its stressed the whole system over the last 50 yrs.

Thats insane growth. I heard the same thing too about Tampa area. Its wild how many are moving there. Charlotte is growing pretty fast but not like FL.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

yes, another issue is the pest animals released into and around the Everglades (and the rest of FL). They are destroying endemic animals and have almost no natural predators there.

Panzer and Jedi can probably talk more about it, and the influx of people.
Helmut
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

There are two major forces behind the population explosion in Florida:

1. Immigrants coming from Latin American countries. Spanish is a largely spoken unofficial language in South Florida so hence the extra appeal for those coming from Latin America.

2. Residents leaving Northeastern States (mostly NY and NJ) to escape the high tax burden and urban decay that is found in many NE cities.