83 years ago today

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

PanzerMeyer

83 years ago today

Post by PanzerMeyer »

The war in Europe began with the German invasion of Poland on September 1st, 1939. It's a bit surreal to think that the war started 83 years ago. That means that an 18 year old soldier who was serving in 1939 would now be 101 years old. It won't be long at all until all WWII veterans will have left us.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Re: 83 years ago today

Post by Bones »

Yes today is the day. And although she was not a soldier, Joanna's grandmother lived through the invasion and occupation and lived all the way until 2 years ago and was lucid all the way. If she were alive today she would be 100 years old.

I had the opportunity to meet her and to hear some of her stories about the occupation, as well as some from my father in law's family's side. Often it makes me feel that we as Americans take our freedoms for granted. I mean, no one has ever invaded and occupied us for over 200 years. The Poles had it happen much sooner than that, Ukrainians are dealing with it right now. Yet we complain about things so much here, not even knowing what it's like when you can't complain because someone else has taken your country.

It's sobering.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Great post Bones and unfortunately it does seem to be human nature to take things like freedom for granted when you have never experienced having it taken away.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

My wifes grandma was born in Holland and she was a child during WW2. She hasn't spoken much about it but my wife has mentioned how her grandma will never leave food on her plate. She always finishes what she's served or makes.

It was the hunger during the war that she vividly remembers.

Even here we take for granted our freedoms. We complain about the small things and dont fight for the important ones. I watch some of the video coming out of Ukraine and cant imagine having to go through that, going from a banker to defending your country from an invading army in no time. Seeing your city/country being destroyed to rubble. Families destroyed - friends dead. Its crazy the thing humans can do to each other.

Im so thankful I got lucky and live where I do.....
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Trichome wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 19:19

It was the hunger during the war that she vividly remembers.

The winter of 1944 was especially brutal due to the German reprisals against the Dutch for giving aid and information to the UK and US forces involved in Market Garden.
Bones

Post by Bones »

I forgot to mention that the VP of my company, who passed away 5 or 6 years ago, was a bombardier on the B-17 and participated in the bombings of Dresden and Bremen. He survived his 25 hops and came back to the US as an instructor. He shared some stories with me but I wish I got more.

Ironically enough our foreman at the time who was German, was a kid during WWII and my VP had been bombing his town. Small world. The foreman also had some stories to tell that really showed how dirty the Nazis were.

My next door neighbor was a SEAL in Vietnam. I should learn my lessons in the above and get as many stories from him that I can. So far I only got 1 or 2, and one or 2 from a vendor of mine who was also a SEAL in Vietnam. I really gotta follow these up.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

You might not get much. There’s a chance some of that may be still classified.
Bones

Post by Bones »

I forgot to mention that the VP of my company, who passed away 5 or 6 years ago, was a bombardier on the B-17 and participated in the bombings of Dresden and Bremen. He survived his 25 hops and came back to the US as an instructor. He shared some stories with me but I wish I got more.
I wanted to share these pics. They are photos of my company's VP that his daughter who is a friend of mine shared with me.

This is their class from Bombardier School:
img010.jpg
This pic is the crew photo after their 25th mission:
img011.jpg
This is a pic of him and his sister ca. 1944:
img012.jpg
Really great photos!

v6,
boNes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Great photos! Thanks for sharing those bones.
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

I love looking at old photos. Thanks for sharing those.
Bones

Post by Bones »

I asked if he ever saw an Me-262. He said yes. I asked what was it like seeing one? He said that they were all like, "Whoa, what is that, it has no propeller!" But he added that the P-51s were shooting them down all the same.

Speaking of the P-51s he said they would fly top cover for them on the way in on a long haul mission and forget that the B-17s were below them when they dropped their bags.

Oops.

v6,
boNes
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Bones wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 09:28
I asked if he ever saw an Me-262. He said yes. I asked what was it like seeing one? He said that they were all like, "Whoa, what is that, it has no propeller!" But he added that the P-51s were shooting them down all the same.

boNes
Most of those P51 kills on 262's were scored while the 262's were taking off or landing which is when the 262 was most vulnerable.
Bones

Post by Bones »

PanzerMeyer wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 10:12
Bones wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 09:28

boNes
Most of those P51 kills on 262's were scored while the 262's were taking off or landing which is when the 262 was most vulnerable.
Yeah, I saw Chuck Yaeger had a few of those kinds of kills. Not very sporty, but all is fair in love and war...

v6,
boNes
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I was looking at the old photos again and I have to say bones that the sister of your former VP was quite the looker back in the day!
Bones

Post by Bones »

PanzerMeyer wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 05:57
I was looking at the old photos again and I have to say bones that the sister of your former VP was quite the looker back in the day!
Agreed! I don't know if she is still alive but he was 91 when he passed away. She may very well still be alive, I dunno.

v6,
boNes