2022 FIFA World Cup

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

PanzerMeyer

2022 FIFA World Cup

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I'm hardly a serious soccer/football fan but I do follow the World Cup tournament when the US team is in it. I was looking at the different team groups and I noticed Group B which consists of Iran, Wales, England and the US. I guess I'll see soon enough how far the US team gets this time around....
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Re: 2022 FIFA World Cup

Post by Bones »

I'm excited about the World Cup. It's just odd that it's so late in the year, but I wouldn't want to be playing football in 100+ degree weather either.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Bones wrote:
13 Oct 2022, 06:05
but I wouldn't want to be playing football in 100+ degree weather either.

v6,
boNes

Especially since it's in Qatar!
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Post by Bones »

Who are your teams this World Cup?

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Bones wrote:
13 Oct 2022, 11:28
Who are your teams this World Cup?

v6,
boNes

I'm rooting 100% for the US until they get eliminated. LOL

After that I will be rooting for Germany.
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

I'll be cheering for Canada. Its been a long time but we made an awesome run in qualifying.

Everyone's pumped for the first round. If we manage to squeeze by Belgium and get a tie first game... its on. Round of 16 would be nice... quarters would be awesome. Anything more than that this world cup would be a dream.

I posted a screenshot of rules fans need to abide by... this could get ugly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Trichome wrote:
13 Oct 2022, 17:57

I posted a screenshot of rules fans need to abide by... this could get ugly.

Well you know, "when in Rome do as the Romans do". PDT_Armataz_01_14
Bones

Post by Bones »

I'm rooting for Argentina, Poland, Spain, and Portugal.

v6,
boNes
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Bones wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 05:18

v6,
boNes
Poland is a given but no US team? PDT_Armataz_01_13
Bones

Post by Bones »

PanzerMeyer wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 05:20
Bones wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 05:18

v6,
boNes
Poland is a given but no US team? PDT_Armataz_01_13
Not really wowed by them. But hey, I'm also Canadian and they're not on my list either...!

I'm rooting for Argentina because I am a big fan of Messi (and also Rojo and Di Maria etc). Poland for obvious reasons. Spain and Portugal because of my ancestry (and Ronaldo too, I guess...)

v6,
boNes
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Bones wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 08:05

Spain and Portugal because of my ancestry

v6,
boNes
I did the Ancestry.com DNA test a few years ago and my test results showed that over 50% of my genes came from the Iberian Peninsula. I can't say I'm surprised by that since my mom is Cuban and both sides of her ancestors were from Spain.
Bones

Post by Bones »

My grandmother is Portuguese, so that is where that comes from. Our family tree on my mom's side goes back to 1700s Barcelona, so that is the Spain side.

I'm 63% Filipino though. My dad's side of the family tree goes way back and sources from one of the original Filipino tribes before Spain came and changed the bloodline.

With our family trees not much reason to do any DNA testing on me. I already know that I'm 0% Valeryan, what do I need the test for?

v6,
boNes
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Bones wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 12:11

I already know that I'm 0% Valeryan, what do I need the test for?

v6,
boNes
LMAO! Well played sir.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

So the USA and Wales tied 1-1 yesterday and the USA plays against England on Friday. To be honest I don't like our chances against England but I'll be watching the game for sure.
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

That' really was a must win.... Not impossible now but tough road for sure.

They played so well other than that late defending error.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

As long as the US doesn't get blown out by England I'll be happy. If we lose by one goal I'll be ok with that.

But then again, upsets can and do happen. Just look at the Saudi win over Argentina!
Bones

Post by Bones »

PanzerMeyer wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 09:50

But then again, upsets can and do happen. Just look at the Saudi win over Argentina!
I got up early to watch that?!?!?

Ugh.

And the Poland Mexico game earlier today made group C that much more interesting!

v6,
boNes
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

USA and England playing now!! Current score is 0-0
Bones

Post by Bones »

That is an exciting match so far! USA is really putting aggressive pressure on England.

That save by Turner before the half was exciting as well as Pulic's header attempt.

v6,
boNes
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

US team is indeed looking quite energetic on the field but it will take more than that to win. I have my fingers crossed!