Napoleon film by Ridley Scott!

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

PanzerMeyer

Napoleon film by Ridley Scott!

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Not much info is out yet since this film is still under production but I have extremely good vibes about this latest project by Ridley. Check out the couple of photos with Joaquin Phoenix in full uniform!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13287846/? ... flmg_act_1
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Trichome

Re: Napoleon film by Ridley Scott!

Post by Trichome »

This will certainly be going on the download list....
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Trichome wrote:
07 Oct 2022, 08:59
This will certainly be going on the download list....
I'm so pumped about this movie that I will actually make the trip to a movie theater to see it. Joaquin Phoenix is simply an outstanding actor in every way.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

I love Napoleonic history, but more from the warfare side.
Helmut
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

This looks pretty damned epic. Here's the first trailer:

PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

It's nicely done but it's a fan-made trailer. This is not an official trailer with actual scenes from the upcoming film.
Bones

Post by Bones »

I have no idea how my son has the time or funds to make this and his other movies!

Haha jk but my son is loosely named after Ridley Scott.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Oh my bad, in my haste, I thought this was an official teaser. Here's a consolation Napoleon:

PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Official trailer is finally out. Cant WAIT to see this in the theater later this year.

Bones

Post by Bones »

I am quite interested in this because I really don't know much about that history. What I don't understand right now is how the French Revolution was about getting rid of the kings and queens and being a democracy. So how come Napoleon became a king/Emperor if the whole deal with the revolution was to do away with monarchy?

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Bones wrote:
14 Aug 2023, 07:19
So how come Napoleon became a king/Emperor if the whole deal with the revolution was to do away with monarchy?

Books and books and books have been written on this most excellent question and in the interest of keeping my reply relatively brief, I will just say that when a person has charisma and they have a compelling plan for bringing order to chaos, that has historically been shown to be a very powerful combination. Napoleon was just one such example in history of a person who had both of these qualities.

The big paradox here is that at the time, it was Napoleon who was considered to be the dangerous progressive by the conservative monarchies of Prussia, Russia, Austria and to a lesser extent Britain. Those monarchies were absolutely frightened by what they saw happen during the "Reign of Terror" in France and they were hell-bent on preventing that revolution from spreading outside of France. Hence, you got the Napoleonic Wars!
Bones

Post by Bones »

Thanks PM! Like I said, I know little about this and that's why I'm interested in seeing the movie. Interesting how the revolution spawned the thing it was spurning like that, and how it got "out of hand."

I was at Butte de Lion the memorial in Waterloo where Napoleon was finally defeated. What a beautiful land, sad to think how much blood was spilled there.

v6,
boNes
Last edited by Bones on 15 Aug 2023, 07:39, edited 1 time in total.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Bones wrote:
14 Aug 2023, 12:27

I was at Butte de Lion the memorial in Waterloo where Napoleon was finally defeated. What a beautiful land, sad to think how much blood was spilled there.

v,
boNes
Yes, it was a major battle with significant casualties on both sides. The Duke of Wellington himself said that the battle could have very easily gone to the French. It was a closely fought battle until the Prussians showed up near the end of the day.

Have you ever seen the film "Waterloo" starring Christopher Plummer and Rod Steiger? If not, I highly recommend it.
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

You are a wealth of historical information. Panzer.

Kind of reminds me of the colonists when they were trying to make George Washington a king, but he didn't want that president position because of why they rebelled against England in the first place.

In my military history class in college which I took as an elective, the professor was talking a lot about Napoleon not his politics, but how he led his troops. It's been said that if a military leaders horse is shot out from under him, he's brave because he's riding up front with the troops, not sitting way back where it's safe.. Napoleon was shot off of 18 horses over the course of his career. Pretty inspiring
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Cr33p3r wrote:
15 Aug 2023, 08:07

In my military history class in college which I took as an elective, the professor was talking a lot about Napoleon not his politics, but how he led his troops. It's been said that if a military leaders horse is shot out from under him, he's brave because he's riding up front with the troops, not sitting way back where it's safe.. Napoleon was shot off of 18 horses over the course of his career. Pretty inspiring

The world has most definitely changed when it comes to heads of state and even high ranking generals being on the field of battle. In the 19th century it was common-place but by WWI that had changed significantly with some exceptions. But the bottom line is that Napoleon was certainly one of those charismatic leaders who could get his men to follow him into Hell if necessary.
Bones

Post by Bones »

Bones

Post by Bones »

I don't have Apple tv but for those of you who do:

https://www.indiewire.com/news/general- ... 234914169/
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Thanks for those links Bones. I'll be dragging my wife to see this in the movie theater. :-)
Bones

Post by Bones »

Or you can watch a 4 hour long version on Apple TV

v6,
boNes
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Bones wrote:
10 Oct 2023, 06:40
Or you can watch a 4 hour long version on Apple TV

v6,
boNes

An epic like this deserves to be seen on the big screen.