5G Home Internet

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Bones

5G Home Internet

Post by Bones »

So I am currently on a Comcast Xfinity cable internet connection that is 800mbps+ but costs me $99 for the internet, and $25 to lease the router. I was offered through Verizon 5GUW Home Internet with the gateway being free, and the monthly fee being $25 per month locked in for 10 years.

It's very tempting but I'm not sold on wireless home internet just yet, especially since I am gaming. I can ethernet connect my PC right to the VZW gateway, but the gateway itself is wireless 5GUW, so is it really still going to work well enough?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Cr33p3r

Re: 5G Home Internet

Post by Cr33p3r »

I admit I'm spoiled on google fiber. 1000 mbps up and down and $70/month. no rental fees and ethernet'd directly into my pc. Even my boys on their PC's and playstations are wired connections to stay off the wifi. TV is on wifi (Fubo) and of course our phones. The hard network cabling got rid of my wife asking daily "why is the internet so slow?"
Bones

Post by Bones »

I'm surprised we don't have fiber here yet considering it's Chicago. Maybe there was no agreement on what some corrupt government official's kickback should be yet.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

LOL Bones. I'll say right now that Miami is not much different from Chicago when it comes to corruption with public officials.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

and i have ATT fiber, best internet service I have ever had. I do not lose session connections overnight, etc. I do on other services.

you should ask what their latency is, and what the expected bandwidth is. is there a trial period?
Helmut
Bones

Post by Bones »

YEs there is a 30 day trial period. I was thinking of hooking it up and running a mission with you guys to see how it does. Dunno what the latency is.

v6,
boNes
Bones

Post by Bones »

Well so far not impressed. It's about 50Mbps down and 6Mbps up and with Xfinity I'm about 100 up and 20 down.

v6,
boNes
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

I have Verizon home internet. My computer is connected to the router, which they provide to me for FREE. No rental fee. I play $50 a month for the internet service. My PC, ROKU puck, Tablo puck (for over the airwaves TV), and my Netgear Orbi Mesh are all ethernet cable connected to the router in my den (TV room). My wife relies on wifi for her ROKU tv, and for your laptop. She works from home and runs Zoom meetings all day. I use wifi upstairs in the master bedroom for my laptop. Our phones, of course, are on wifi. We have a 300/300 subscription. I've run several speed tests through Verizon's own software, and I get at least that up and down. I've had the test output over 1000 up and 300 down. We live in a very large urban area just outside of Boston.
Bones

Post by Bones »

Interesting, thanks for sharing Grifter. I wasn't sold mostly on the speed, but maybe they have something available here for the higher speeds like you have. That's 300 Mbps up and down? That's pretty good, especially for wireless.

It's good to know that you can connect so many devices and do so many things on it without interruptions or slowdowns. I'm leary about that. I heard that it doesn't work well with VPNs and I need a VPN for my work, but so far I did some work stuff, a few Teams meetings, and later today Joanna will be doing some Zoom meetings and so far it has been OK. Yes the speed is less, but I don't notice it.

The big test was last night I went and flew DCS with 4 other guys on a server that was one of the guys' PCs (not a dedicated server) and everything was fine, no lag, or anything. A part of me was hoping it would be crappy to justify my staying with Xfinity but now I'm really torn.

The think I worry most about now is how reliable the connection would be...it all depends on a tower that is used for everyojne else's internet and phone calls etc. Also how is the customer service if things go down? So far this year I have had to deal with VZW tech support for phone issues and twice now I solved the prblem myself (or band-aided it) whereas those guys didn't know what was going on. For instance, I would go through troubleshooting with one tier and they'd fail and send me to the next higher tier, and those guys either didn't bother to read the tech notes, or no one told them what was going on so I had to explain everything to them from scratch and it took 1-2 hours everytime I had to talk to them. They'd submit a ticket, no one would get back to me, I'd call them, and they'd have no idea what I was talking about even with a ticket. That makes me worry if it's going to be like that for home internet.

I suppose I could switch back if it got bad, but then I should check on early contract cancellation fees. Also, since I have phone/internet/TV with Xfinity I get a bundle discount, so if I take out Internet, the other two parts may have a price increase that would negate my savings anyway. In which case I should just stay with cable since I know it works and works well and is pretty reliable.

I wish someone would just do fiber here at a good price, then my decisions would be easy right off the bat.

v6,
boNes
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Well, as I explained above, my service is not the same as 5GUW. I have a router hardlined via ethernet cable to the main box in the cellar of my apartment building. They wanted to install repeaters and do everything by wifi, and I told them to go to hell because I knew that building's structure would ruin the signal and they would force me to rent the repeaters to boot. Like, get out of here with that crap.

Most of my devices, as I said, are also connected to the router by ethernet except our laptops and phones. We get at least 300 up and down on wifi, and I definitely get more via my ethernet cable connections. I don't rent cable and I don't have a land line. We are using Verizon Fios service.