Poland Hit by Missiles

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Bones

Poland Hit by Missiles

Post by Bones »

About an hour ago missiles hit Poland killing 2 civilians, about 90 mi from my wife's family's home. This is getting dicey.

What happened is still under investigation. They could have been Russian missiles that missed or got pushed off course by ABM, no one really knows. Russia denies it was their missiles and say it's a provocative accusation, etc etc. But 2 Polish farmers are dead and Poland is in NATO so this is definitely serious.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Re: Poland Hit by Missiles

Post by PanzerMeyer »

So it was more than one missile that hit in Poland? I can guarantee you though that WWIII will not start over this incident. While the 2 deaths are tragic, I think it's pretty safe to say that this missile or missiles malfunctioned. This is Russian hardware after all that we are talking about.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Post by Bones »

Jury's still out on what exactly happened. Either way, 2 civilians were killed and by and by, Russia is the cause. They let loose 90 missiles into Ukraine yesterday. If one of their missiles failed and went into Poland, that is the cause. If it was knocked off course by a Ukrainian ABM, well, if there wasn't a Russian missile attack to begin with, it would not have ended up in Poland. Heck, if Russia didn't invade Ukraine to begin with, the 2 civilians would have not been killed by missiles.

Ukraine's concern right now is that NATO is looking more after themselves than at Ukraine. In the G20 yesterday, everyone was talking about the missiles that entered into Poland and not the other 88 that entered into Ukraine. They said that the escalation of the war has to be stopped. Well, the only way to de-escalate the war is if Ukraine surrenders, and why should they? The only way to de-escalate the war is a Russian withdrawal or Ukraine fighting harder to get Russia out. In either case, Russia invaded Ukraine and this is what escalated the war to begin with.

All that PWEC aside, our personal concern is that it shows that even my wife's family is within reach of misfires and mishaps of missiles.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

You make some valid points bones and Ukraine should by no means surrender. They need to keep fighting until Russia is out of their territory and NATO should continue to provide money, supplies and weapons until that is accomplished.

One thing that DOES bug me big time is how some NATO countries have contributed very little relative to their GDP. I'm looking at YOU France, Italy, Netherlands, Spain and Belgium.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

The latest updates from the BBC have explained a lot so far:

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-asia-63593855
Bones

Post by Bones »

Yup, even Poland is saying it maybe Ukraine but no one is holding it against them and all agree that Russia is stillthe cause.

It was an S-300 BTW. I hate fighting those things.

v6,
boNes
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Yeah those S-300's in DCS I stay very far from unless I'm packing some KH-58's. PDT_Armataz_01_14
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

What is ABM?
Helmut
Bones

Post by Bones »

Anti Ballistic Missile. Like the Patriot.

I may have overstated that though.

v6,
boNes
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

the s300 is an anti-air missile system (the sa-10 we all know and love!), used for both aircraft and cruise missile (not ballistic missiles). it is interesting that those missiles did not get near their target and detonated anyways. i would think if they lost guidance they would self-detonate, not crash into the ground somewhere and explode.
Helmut
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

My guess is that Ukraine has the "bargain bin" version of the SA-10.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

actually, they are probably top line (whatever that is!) from prior to the breakdown of the USSR. the issue there is, with increased tensions, maintenance on said systems...
Helmut