Your top 10 music artists/bands of all time?

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

PanzerMeyer

Your top 10 music artists/bands of all time?

Post by PanzerMeyer »

This is totally subjective of course as all musical tastes are but I'm curious to see how the rest of you respond.

Here is my list:

The Beatles
Pink Floyd
Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Eagles
Richard Wagner
The Police
The Who
The Rolling Stones
Genesis
Rush
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Re: Your top 10 music artists/bands of all time?

Post by Bones »

The Cure
Lush
Actors
Depeche Mode
Frontline Assembly
Front 242
VNV Nation
Assemblage 23
Nine Inch Nails
Icon of Coil

Hey, you asked...!

Haha.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Interesting list Bones and I will tell you that I have a good friend in Germany who introduced me to Front Line Assembly. I like them quite a bit!

And of course Depeche Mode is great. They are part of what defined the 80's.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Post by Bones »

Was this friend in Germany Christian Neubert by any chance? From SimHQ? We are both into industrial music.

On Sept 11 this year it was the 30th anniversary of me seeing Frontline Assembly for the first time. SInce then, every time they have come to Chicago I have not missed their show. It is my longest running record for how many times I saw a band and how long over the years. Heck, I even saw them play in Warsaw in August!

They are actually from Canada, but Bill Leeb the leader was born in Vienna and lived there a few years before moving to Canada.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Bones wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 09:53
Was this friend in Germany Christian Neubert by any chance? From SimHQ? We are both into industrial music.

boNes

Yes, that's him! Great guy.

He's also introduced me to a bit of Skinny Puppy. I believe they are also Canadian.
Bones

Post by Bones »

Yes Skinny Puppy is Canadian. In fact, Bill Leeb who leads Frontline Assembly started out with Skinny Puppy and left to do Frontline Assembly.

My other fave band Actors is also from Canada. They are post-punk.

v6,
boNes
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

My List of my favorites, not necessarily who I think are the best overall who had an impact on music. Also has changed over the years.

Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks
U2
The GoGos
Genesis
David Bowie
Talking Heads
The Beatles
Def Leppard
Van Halen
Prince

Shout out to the Pretenders and Guns N Roses.
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

My wife's list (shes a little older than me with more 70's music influences):

Bowie
Prince
Pink Floyd
Aerosmith
Queen
Led Zeppelin
Talking Heads
Steve Miller Band
Steely Dan
Jimi Hendrix
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

My wife said replace Hendrix with dire straits and skynard.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

I did radio during college and so I simply have too much music from which to choose. I love practically everything you guys mentioned above. In particular, I'm also a Talking Heads fan and have been since I was little kid in the 80's. I would also add the following bands in no particular order or reason. They are not necessarily my absolute favorites, but they certainly come to mind:

Fugazi
Dead Can Dance
DJ Shadow
Beastie Boys
Colin Hay
Massive Attack
Florence and the Machine
The Grateful Dead
Iron Maiden
Primus
Rage against the Machine
Sneaker Pimps
Alice in Chains

Again, depends on the day and what I'm doing.
Bones

Post by Bones »

Dead Can Dance! Love them too! Had tickets to see them this year but they cancelled again. I think they are getting too old to tour anymore.

They were our dinner music at our wedding.

I like Prince too, but really only the stuff that he did with the Revolution, there is very little of his newer stuff that I liked I hate to admit. But I liked everything from "Prince" to "Around the World in a Day." He started to lose me at "Parade."

v6,
boNes
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Grifter wrote:
19 Nov 2022, 17:29

Fugazi
Dead Can Dance
DJ Shadow
Colin Hay
Sneaker Pimps

You have quite an eclectic list there Grifter. I fully admit I have never even heard of these:
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Prince could shoot the J and his pancakes were to die for!

I haven't heard of those either panzer except Colin Hay. He was the lead singer of Men at Work.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

In regards to Prince, I completely recognize his amazing talent but to be honest I really don't know any of his music after about 1992 or so. It seems the 80's was his creative zenith in my opinion.
Bones

Post by Bones »

Cr33p3r wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 03:46
Prince could shoot the J and his pancakes were to die for!

I haven't heard of those either panzer except Colin Hay. He was the lead singer of Men at Work.
Dave Chapelle was hilarious!

Creeper, you may have not heard of Dead Can Dance but you heard them. Joanna and I had them playing during dinner at our wedding.

Fugazi was more on the punk side of things.

v6,
boNes
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

"Why don't you purify yourself in the waters of lake Minnetonka!"
prince.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Fugazi is perhaps one of the most influential bands to evolve out of the Hardcore/Punk genre of the late eighties and early 90's. A precursor to grunge rock, Fugazi defied categorization at the time. A fusion of socially and politically conscious lyrics, primitive rhythms, more complicated progressions than your standard punk tune, and two singers made Fugazi one of the most innovate bands of the genre and time period. The singers either sang solo on singles or they complimented each other conversationally in harmony on certain songs. Best albums? Well, that depends on who you ask. While many will point to Repeater or 13 Songs as their best albums, and for good reason, I personally think their best work comes from Steady Diet of Nothing and In on the Killtaker. Easily one of my all time favorites, but most won't like their sound. It's not for everyone.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Considered the greatest Trip-Hop artist of all time, DJ Shadow was the genre's icon during the early 90's. While everyone was listening to Nirvana and Pearl Jam, there were a few of us on the periphery who were paying attention to artists like DJ Shadow, who following in the Beastie Boys' footsteps, specifically the Paul Boutique album. Trip Hop emphasizes heavy drums and audio sampling, and few do it as well as DJ Shadow. What a lot of people don't realize is that DJ Shadow will include riffs from other bands and genres, Metallica for example. The production is heavily emphasized to create deeply layered deep cuts on his albums. Still performing, producing, and making music, DJ Shadow is still the keystone in this niche genre. Most fans still consider Endtroducing his best album. Here's a cut from Endtroducing, "Building Steam with a Grain of Salt."

Bones

Post by Bones »

Grifter wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 14:02
Fugazi is perhaps one of the most influential bands to evolve out of the Hardcore/Punk genre of the late eighties and early 90's. A precursor to grunge rock, Fugazi defied categorization at the time. A fusion of socially and politically conscious lyrics, primitive rhythms, more complicated progressions than your standard punk tune, and two singers made Fugazi one of the most innovate bands of the genre and time period. The singers either sang solo on singles or they complimented each other conversationally in harmony on certain songs. Best albums? Well, that depends on who you ask. While many will point to Repeater or 13 Songs as their best albums, and for good reason, I personally think their best work comes from Steady Diet of Nothing and In on the Killtaker. Easily one of my all time favorites, but most won't like their sound. It's not for everyone.
When our club closed after 36 years, the last song that was played there IIRC was Fugazi's "Waiting Room."

It was a bittersweet time.

v6,
boNes
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Oh? What club? You owned a club?