Devotion

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Bones

Devotion

Post by Bones »

So Viper and I got around to seeing "Devotion." It was pretty good, it's too bad it flopped at the box office. BUt I really enjoyed it (and was bummed out about it in the same way as I was with "Andor.").

The combat scenes were impressive, I'm sure there was CGI involved but only because where are you going to find that many Corsairs and Bearcats for a movie? But some of the cockpit scenes and external view angles were very reminiscent of "Top Gun: Maverick" and if they were CGI'd, then I was impressed because they had such an eye for details that even things seen through the canopy glass had that polycarbonate slight distortion to it.

The movie starts out when LTJG Hudner arrives at VF-32 and meets ENS Brown. So it is before hostilities start and so it made it interesting to see how they had to transition from the Bearcat to the Corsair, and then their carquals, and then deployment. Being it was t he Korean War, I really liked it because they don't really make Korean War movies.

There was some carrier life depiction as well, and the Navy/Marine interservice rivalry. But the biggest friction highlighted was the racism of the time. It made for an enjoyable movie to me---the movie delt short to me even though it was 2hr19min in length.

I'm expecting it to be available for streaming soon so if you get a chance check it out.

v6,
boNes

PS One of my favorite characters was the VF-32 skipper. He was a great CO, I'd totally respect him if I was in his squadron.
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Re: Devotion

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Thanks for your review bones. I'll try and check it out soon as well.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

I'll be checking this on out soon..... Thanks!
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Sorry I could not be that there last night. I'm fighting off a sickness that my wife and two boys have had.

This looks like a really good movie and I will see it eventually. Don't forget also the glass onion comes out on Netflix this Friday. One of the best movies I've seen this year.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Hope you get better soon!
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

The wife and I watched this on Paramount+ last weekend. Not a bad movie, but not perfect, either. For some reason, in the early flying scenes in the Bearcats, the pilots are all wearing helicopter helmets with boom microphones. Where are the oxygen masks? When they later switch to the Corsairs, they are wearing oxygen masks.

There are some inaccuracies (as is usual for a Hollywood movie). For example, that dude never met Jesse's wife Daisy until after Jessie was already dead. The Liz Taylor connection is true but they did not meet before the party.

I did find the movie dragged on a bit and was probably longer than it needed to be. The acting for Jessie was weird. He says very little for most of the movie. Could be accurate, I don't know... But it came off as being weird. The flying scenes were good, although Jesse did not attack that bridge solo in real life.
Bones

Post by Bones »

I didn't notice how long it was, it went by fast for me.

Maybe there was a shortage of oxygen masks coming out from WWII at the time, and the ones that were available were sent to deployed squadrons rather than those still at home base?

Interesting about Liz Taylor. I bet the actress that played her had fun.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Thanks for that review Xpendable.