Oldies But Goodies

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Falker939

Oldies But Goodies

Post by Falker939 »

I still have my collection of PC gaming disk from 30 years ago. Some were lost when I moved half dozen times since then, although there are a few good classics in the mix. We started playing games early with an Atari 400 and move up from there. Back then PC games made more sense to me compared to today’s games.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Falker939 on 27 Jan 2023, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.
Modify my post and see if I care - We're in the pipe 5 by 5
Trichome

Re: Oldies But Goodies

Post by Trichome »

F.E.A.R was great. I remember being scared out of my mind a few times.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

The two scariest games that I've ever played where I actually got real goosebumps are FEAR and Alien Isolation.

My very first PC game purchase was "Jet Fighter" back in 1989. I bought it from my local Radio Shack. That's when my PC gaming hobby officially started. lol
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Post by Bones »

Trichome wrote:
26 Jan 2023, 19:06
F.E.A.R was great. I remember being scared out of my mind a few times.
I am yet to finish that game.

What was also creepy was Thief, when you are in the haunted cathedral.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Haha I remember Total Annihilation. i got that after playing C&C Red alert and it barely ran on my "Pentium" back then.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

My first Pentium system was a Pentium 90 back in 1995. It was a crappy Packard Bell. Anyone remember that brand?
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Ultima VI. The Ultima series would inspire so many great Computer RPG's, and of the nine games in the main series and the multiple spin-offs, Ultima VI was perhaps the most impactful.
Falker939

Post by Falker939 »

Trichome - I loved F.E.A.R I got the creeps every time I played that game lol - Sometimes it was chilling and scary to me – like where is she now…. It had a great Story right?! Sort of remind me of The Ring – but not quite.. I tore it up several times - with great combat action and it’s a long campaign too that won’t disappoint. I dropped a few times on MP but it was crazy combat. Project Origin was short and sweet, and then I lost interest after that.. I recall Genevieve Aristide voice - every time while checking a computer console..

I was all into Total Annihilation - for years , and also bought The Core Contingency- but after while it lost its flavor. But It was better than Dune – I played C&C – it was same same - red vs blue

We also upgraded to a Packard Bell , although it couldn’t do as much as an Atari 800 as far as games , but it looked cool... and it was our first computer that connected us to the internet. I think I use to get drunk and chat on AOL all the time back then. Wow – I still think about that sometimes..
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Ah yes, the AOL chat rooms. I know a couple of people who met their spouse/ex-spouse on there. LOL
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

This was a video I put together - WOW 15 years ago - while playing FEAR. I forgot all about that slo-mo option...

PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I'm pretty sure FEAR was the first game I played that had the "bullet time" slow-mo mode.
Falker939

Post by Falker939 »

Max Payne PC game had this as well- there was a slow-slow mode that allowed Max to dive and shoot at the same time. It became a must have option at times towards the end.
Falker939

Post by Falker939 »

Here we go Professor

My first strategy game was Starbase Hyperion
Published by Quality Software
Released 1980
Platforms Atari 8-bit, Exidy Sorcerer

I would calculate my Battleships next move using map coordinates to bring it into a confrontational battle with an alien Dreadnought Ship before it got though. As soon as any enemy ship gets all the way through – Game Over.. There wasn’t any eye candy here , it was mostly the sound of a short battle with a few shots fired ending with an explosion. Fleet Command would drop in other friendly ships to help out. It was an Oldie but goodie that set me on the path to playing more strategy games.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Falker939

Post by Falker939 »

Pretty cool video Trichome

First Encounter Assault Recon had some of the best sound effects.

For Real..
Bones

Post by Bones »

PanzerMeyer wrote:
30 Jan 2023, 09:48
I'm pretty sure FEAR was the first game I played that had the "bullet time" slow-mo mode.
Well, except for "Enter the Matrix" which came out in like 2003 to coincide with the sequels.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot