30th Anniversary of the Battle of Mogadishu

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Bones

30th Anniversary of the Battle of Mogadishu

Post by Bones »

30 years ago today, soldiers from the US Army Rangers, 160th SOAR, 10th Mountain Division, and Delta Force fought what was then the biggest battle in modern US history since Vietnam. It became known as the Black Hawk Down incident and was the subject of both a non-fiction book and a movie directed by Ridley Scott recounting the events.

From Wikipedia:
The Battle of Mogadishu (Somali: Maalintii Rangers, lit. 'Day of the Rangers'), also known as the Black Hawk Down Incident, was part of Operation Gothic Serpent. It was fought on 3–4 October 1993, in Mogadishu, Somalia, between forces of the United States—supported by UNOSOM II—against the forces of the Somali National Alliance (SNA) and armed irregular citizens of south Mogadishu.

18 soldiers lost their lives, and as much as 1000 Somalis, with dozens wounded.

In memoriam.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Re: 30th Anniversary of the Battle of Mogadishu

Post by PanzerMeyer »

RIP to the fallen US soldiers during that operation.

That entire situation in Somalia was a shit show and in retrospect we shouldn't have even gotten involved. It was a Somali civil war after all.

Just to be clear, I blame the politicians in DC for this and not the US servicemen who were involved.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Post by Bones »

My friend served with the USMC just before it happened and said it was frustrating cuz one of their guys would get shot, and all they were allowed to do was form a perimeter for security and not shoot back.

Another person I knew was in 10th Mountain Div and was proud of having to pull those guys out, as he put it.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

I am good friends with Col. Danny McKnight. Very good person, soldier, man.
Helmut