Excalibur

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

PanzerMeyer

Excalibur

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I watched this astonishing film again yesterday and unless there is a movie out there I have never heard about before, I don't think any film based on the Arthurian legend comes close to matching this brilliant work of art by John Boorman. Every single aspect of this film works flawlessly: the cast, the script, the aesthetics and last but not least the masterful use of Richard Wagner's and Carl Orff's timeless music.

I get chills every time during this sequence. It never fails:

I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Re: Excalibur

Post by Bones »

I saw this movie in the theatre as a kid and love it to this day. I love that Liam Neeson, Patrick Stewart, and Helen MIrren were in it before they were famous in the US.

I always thought that it was pointless for them to wear plate mail though, they could have used aluminum foil and it would have been just as effective. At times you can see the camera crew reflected in it too. Also to this day, I think Mordred is a little snot.

But yes, a good childhood memory for me.

That said, I did like the Clive Owen King Arthur movie since it was more true to the real legend of him actually being Roman and the involvement of the Celts.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Bones wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 09:24
I love that Liam Neeson, Patrick Stewart, and Helen MIrren were in it before they were famous in the US.

v6,
boNes
Also Gabriel Byrne!
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Post by Bones »

And Ciaran Hinds!

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot