Incredible picture

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Grifter

Post by Grifter »

That's amazing. To think he had the the cognitive reflexes to not panic, get the plane away from the crowd, and ensure that it unrecoverable, all before ejecting...sheesh. Those guys are the best. The article did'nt say anything about his condition, so I'm assuming he was unharmed?
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

That's good. the plane you can replace.
Madrus

Post by Madrus »

Air Combat Command Public Affairs

01/21/2004 – LANGLEY AIR FORCE BASE, Va. (ACCNS) – Pilot error caused a U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds F-16 aircraft to crash shortly after takeoff at an airshow Sept. 14 at Mountain Home Air Force Base, Idaho. The pilot ejected just before the aircraft impacted the ground.

According to the accident investigation board report released today, the pilot misinterpreted the altitude required to complete the “Split S” maneuver. He made his calculation based on an incorrect mean-sea-level altitude of the airfield. The pilot incorrectly climbed to 1,670 feet above ground level instead of 2,500 feet before initiating the pull down to the Split S maneuver.

When he realized something was wrong, the pilot put maximum back stick pressure and rolled slightly left to ensure the aircraft would impact away from the crowd should he have to eject. He ejected when the aircraft was 140 feet above ground – just eight-tenths of a second prior to impact. He sustained only minor injuries from the ejection. There was no other damage to military or civilian property.

The aircraft, valued at about $20.4 million, was destroyed.

Also, the board determined other factors substantially contributed to creating the opportunity for the error including the requirement for demonstration pilots to convert mean sea level and above ground level altitudes and performing a maneuver with a limited margin of error.
"A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away." --Barry Goldwater
[img]http://home.online.no/~rgt36/grafikk/fa-18-rot.gif[/img]
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Man that sucks that they blamed it on him. Even the article suggests that he should not have had to make the calculation himself; rather, they should have provided that info. bummer.
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

So my question is, What will happen to this pilot who had enough sense to think of the potential danger to public and military personel and perform I guess you can call it text book emergency recovery and save lives. And must we forget. What would Jared have done.

I say he would have pissed his pants, and screamed mommy as he plowed into spectators.

DA
Grim Diablo, Grand Admiral, Erebus System Survey Group
Death Angel, SGT, 13th MEU
Hudson

Ya

Post by Hudson »

I was wondering the same thing. You crashed a $24+ million jet. That CANNOT look good on a review for promotion. On the other hand as you pointed out he did have the cool to keep the jet from smashing into the crowd....

I wonder how something like that would adversely affect someone military career. Guess most of that will probably remain behind closed doors...
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

he is hosed... yep - he did WHAT WAS EXPECTED of him and avoided the crowd, etc. remember he is expected to be able to do that. he is also an elite pilot - a member of the t-birds. so he is hosed for not knowing and realizing the field elevation. all pilots have to be aware of agl and msl - even little ole cessna pilots (student at that) like me.
Helmut