F/A-18 & Others on eBay

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hudson

F/A-18 & Others on eBay

Post by Hudson »

These are apparently quite real (there's been some news articles on it), though you'll notice most of the bids are not. The FBI has apparently taken notice as well. F-16 is supposed to be showing up too...

F/A-18A
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3078059896

MiG-29
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3078910291

T-33
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3078183551

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... ghter_sale
Last edited by Hudson on 17 Feb 2004, 08:08, edited 1 time in total.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

that is both awesome and disturbing. I wish I were rich so that I could've bought one of these. However, the fact that you can get a mig29 or f18, both modern, seems somewhat illegal...or wrong somehow.
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

It does not surprise me that you can buy one. Remember that whole fiasco with pepsi, when they had their pepsi points or whatever it was and they had a commercial with 4 billion trillion gazillion pepsi points for a harrier jet? Well someone showed up with the pepsi points (don't ask me how they got them) and demanded their jet.

The DoD or whatever appropriate body for making such decisions said it was perfectly OK so long as the plane was demilled (i.e. could no longer carry ordinance). But when the goof balls took pepsi to court they lost, so no jet for them.

That is the only part that is mind boggling to me about the F/A-18 that they are selling. It specifically states that it has not been demilled; not only that, it is coming with bomb rails, etc al. That's just plane scary.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

exactly my point. I think it's quite dangerous if it has not been properly demilled.
Madrus

Post by Madrus »

Well, not surprisingly, I take the completely opposite view.

I think any American citizen who is not a convicted felon should be able to buy it. Demilled or not, how hard would it be for any decent machinist, including myself, to make bomb rails? There are plenty of ex-mil jets and props out there already. Why not a nearly 20 year old Navy fighter?

Even if you had scads of money, you would not access to the latest in avionics, nor any access to ordnance. So you would have a really fun airplane to fly but would not nearly match the effectiveness of our military fighters in combat.

It isn't anywhere near as dangerous or scary as the myriad of techniques that terrorists/criminals already have. Such as fertilizer bombs, suicide bombers using dynamite, contamination of our water supplies with you-name-it.

To my knowledge, no one in over 50 years of ex-mil fighters being available has held up a convenient store with one of them nor has any of the ex-mil bombers ever been used (with missing bomb racks or rails) to threaten a Superbowl. C'mon guys, you have worse things to worry about.
"A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away." --Barry Goldwater
[img]http://home.online.no/~rgt36/grafikk/fa-18-rot.gif[/img]
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

In a rare moment I actually agree with MADrus(LoL)! If I could buy it demilled or not it wouldn't take a genious to make the bomb racks but you would have to be a Bill Gates to get the avionics or develop new avioncs and integrate them to the aircraft and last I checked 99.99% of the United States rich people want to stay rich so they wouldn't even consider buying an aircraft in the hopes of doing something irrately stupid with it like lets say threaten Indy or the Superbowl or the world series.

DA
Grim Diablo, Grand Admiral, Erebus System Survey Group
Death Angel, SGT, 13th MEU
Hudson

Your arguement

Post by Hudson »

Your arguement is somewhat fallacious.

The first time someone takes to a Kwiki Mart with a jet loaded for bare with canisters of home made napalm (its not hard) they're gonna fry 10 square blocks under a napalm haze. And who is going to stop them? The local police?

Riiiiigghhhttt....

That being said...

If I could afford it, and it were legal, I'd be the first psycho running around in might tight new ride. But I'm not rich so no worries.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Granted its highly doubtful that anyone who would buy one of these jets would then proceed to fill it up with high explosives and kamikaze a building or a sports arena; especially, as Madrus aptly points out, there are easier methods. If its legal and I had the money, I would most likely consider buying one myself. Still, the possibility that someone may use such a jet in an attack is not totally unreasonable, just very unlikely.
Madrus

Post by Madrus »

If you think that my point was that I think this plane is not dangerous then I understand why you think it is fallacious. I agree that this plane can be dangerous. But so are Boeing 747's, Cessna 172's, the airliners that were flown into the WTC and the Pentagon, as well as the van that Tim McVeigh used. I think that danger is more related to the person using the vehicle than the vehicle itself.

But my only point is that I do not think that the demilling process alters the danger of this plane much at all. Also the fact that it is an outdated 20 year old fighter without modern maintanence, avionics, ordnance, or support from AWACS or ground control radar intercept officers limits it's normal military effectiveness.
"A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away." --Barry Goldwater
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

To help settle this I once read a study where a psychologist asked 1000 murders mass murders and a couple of serial killers How many ways can you kill someone with a door knob. Not the door knob and the rod but just the door knob in itself. How many ways can you guys think of to kill someone with a door knob. As harmless as a door knob sounds and looks it can become a very dangerous weapon. By the way the most ways mentioned was 150. Now with that said any object no matter how small or large it is, in the right hands can kill hundreds.

DA
Madrus

Post by Madrus »

So we are now supposed to be scared of doorknobs as well as used F/A-18's? Is it a military doorknob? Or a military doorknob that has been demilled?

It appears this is another of those discussions that is extremely polarizing. There are people who se the glass half full while others see it half empty; there are people who tend to be scared of things and people who tend not to be scared of things.

I choose not to be scared about most things. Either that or I am too stupid to be aware of everything that i should be scared of.

Now someone else can try and "settle" this. As if... :lol:
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

MADrus, I was trying to point out that almost anything can be used to hurt people or several people, whether it be a used improperly demilled F/A-18A or a common door knob. OH since we should really take this conversation off track how about this question: "What's the difference in a serial killer and a mass murder?" Besides the obvious reason's what really seperates the two?

DA
Hudson

OK Raptor

Post by Hudson »

OK Raptor, pleas tell the class, what is the difference between a mass murderer and a serial killer.
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

Basically you give a Mass Murder a real thought process and he can graduate to serial killer status. Right.

There's a thin line! Between love and hate. :lol:

DA