Operation: Exeat

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hammer_other

Operation: Exeat

Post by Hammer_other »

Sorry if I have my Latin wrong. DA suggested to me last night to try climbing out my window in order to get out to the computer and be online with you guys. Here is the layout:

The top right window is mine. Once I'm out, I can easily get to the computer quietly. The height of my window sill off the ground is:

9'11"

I'm hoping to do it as stealthily as possible (my parents are in the next room), and with as little accessories as possible.
"...and the bombs go BOOM and the walls crash down, bang, bang, boom, boom, war is a terrible thing, OK?!..."

[img]http://www.stevelanephotography.co.uk/aviation/TEMP/Area51.jpg[/img]
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

Now becareful when climbing out early in the morning. One day you might be mistaken for a cat burgler, and then your parents will find out.

DA
Grim Diablo, Grand Admiral, Erebus System Survey Group
Death Angel, SGT, 13th MEU
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

The biggest problem isn't how can you get down from the window, more what you gonna shut the dog up with!! 8O
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

Let me put a disclamer on this since I suggested it.

In no way shape form or fashion is Death Angel responsible for any embarassing moments incurred on HAMMER, may it be getting stuck on the drainpipe with his bottoms shagged thru, or sliding down onto Rose bush with extra thorns and the occasional dog nipping at your bum.

DA
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

Tell me why this doesn't surprise me . . . . . . . . .
Let me put a disclamer on this since I suggested it.
8O
Nemisis

Post by Nemisis »

I think the biggest problem here is how is he going to get back up to his bedroom after the escape and has finished his OL session with out having to go round and ring the doorbell to get his parents to let him back in again??

With all the RVS, Ghost Recon and OFP experts in here i'm sure we can come up with a master plan for his escape and return without waking up the parents.

A burger or 2 will shut the dog up!

But what about getting mistaken for a robber on his return to the house since the sun rises early at this time of year 04:00 so there will be no sneaking around in the dark?

And we need some sort of rope or ladder to get him back up to the bedroom. The old bedsheets tied together could work but they would need to be tied to something solid that won't move or rattle when he climbs back up and some very well tied knots that wont come lose and strand him outside!

Ok gang looks like we got a stealth mission to plan.

All ideas welcome.
Lose Sight! Lose The Fight!8)
Barrie "Nemisis" Brownlee
[img]http://img201.exs.cx/img201/2690/nemisissignature0xl.gif[/img]
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

we're encouraging this sort of behavior? Sorry, but the lad is going to be in it up to his chin I'll bet. Why do you have to leave the house to get online again?
Hammer_other

Post by Hammer_other »

Good Idea Nem-btw HAPPY BIRTHDAY! All I have available really is 3 aluminium step ladders and a long length of rope. I'll let you decide what to tie it on to-I'll post a photo of my room. Grif-I can easily get to the computer, because it is in my dad's office in our garden. There is a lane connecting the main road to our driveway-I can take this route to get there, and not worry about waking people up.
"...and the bombs go BOOM and the walls crash down, bang, bang, boom, boom, war is a terrible thing, OK?!..."

Hammer_other

Post by Hammer_other »

If you think it'll help, I can get some building layouts, basic schematics, etc. I'll also raid our garage, see what we have. I know I have 3 aluminium step ladders (not long enough), 1 rope (plenty long enough). I think we also have small ladder sections that fit together-I could try and see if that will fit the bill. If it does, I may have the problem solved, as I can join the bits up in my room, and feed them out the window. Only problem is my window construction. Both sides slide freely, but once the top half comes all the way down, it needs my dad to put it up again. Also, How do I hide the ladder sections in my room? Each section is about 4' by 1'6". As I said, I will attach a pic of my room to aid planning.

Nemisis

Post by Nemisis »

You could tell your dad that the bits of ladder are pieces of a large Meccano set you bought 8O
Lose Sight! Lose The Fight!8)
Barrie "Nemisis" Brownlee
[img]http://img201.exs.cx/img201/2690/nemisissignature0xl.gif[/img]
Hammer_other

Post by Hammer_other »

1) These are his bits of ladder, he knows we have them
2) I have not bought any Meccano for years.

Hammer_other

Post by Hammer_other »

OK guys, the basic layout:

Living room:

Through the two doors is the kitchen, and the door outside. It should be noted that there is a cabinet on the left of the TV, under the basket, housing a .177 air rifle and a 12 gauge over/under shotgun.

Top of stairs:

The room is my parent's room. This is the through room from my room to the stairs.

My room:

Anywhere to tie ropes and store ladder components. It's right now that I wish I had an assault ladder.

Hammer_other

Post by Hammer_other »

Also, if you want to contact me directly, call 01233 861233 from 18:00GMT every day, until about 21:00GMT, and ask for Tim. Don't know whether this is useful or not.
Last edited by Hammer_other on 15 Jun 2004, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.

KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

Okay, on the evening on the way back in to the house before you are accosted by your parents for being late. Place at the btm of your window on the grass, the ladder sections, rolled-up on top of each other for compactness, use a blanket to roll them in - it's quiet, even as it slides against the side of the house. Also tie the ladder sections, with a rope, end to end and across (like a parcel). Tie another rope to one end (this must all be done securely first time) and then run it (just tucked in) up the side of whatever that is at the side of your window, where it can remain unseen - tape it or wedge it at the top - TWICE! That way if you drop it - you don't lose it. By the way - do this bit from the top down okay!? :roll:
Now the window - you need to - before you do any of the above - find an excuse for your window to be opened, then don't fully close it again - use a small block to stop it going all the way down. Then you don't need your dad to open it again, maybe you want to sleep with the window open because it's so warm at the moment, eh?
Finally as you wake and choose you moment to expedite - place a thick blanket across your window sill once the window is open - this will assist in a stealthy retrieval of the primary escape tool.
A final word - success will be gained if stealth is favoured against speed during the initial phases of the setup phase, and to motivate you in that direction I'll just draw your attention to the small matter of the large bill you may incur (not to mention the sore arse your dad might give ya!) if you raise the ladder too fast on the rope, it might just be carried by momentum into the btm floor windows - OOPS! 8O

Nem wrote:
With all the RVS, Ghost Recon and OFP experts in here i'm sure we can come up with a master plan for his escape and return without waking up the parents.
Hope this is a good starter for 10 as they say in University Challenge!
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

you are really serious abou this Hammer.

You sound like either a young Einstein or young Genghis Khan!

No pun intended.

LoL
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

And now for a realistic plan; Listen mate - just walk out the damn door quietly, dope the dog! (Or give it a hamburger!)
The real key to this tactic is simple: fast talking if you get caught in mid-flight on the way out or the way in. If you get caught on the computer, you can say only what you think you can get away with, given what your parents may have seen as they caught you. However, for the inbetween you have a few excuses in your inventory which could work - even if you are given the sceptical look.
1. I think I must have been sleepwalking - I remember going to the toilet and then I was out here! You know I've not been sleeping well since I started my exams - just nervous about doing well. I DON'T WANT TO LET YOU GUYS DOWN :wink:
2. I saw the light on (as I got up for the toilet) - didn't want you to give me into trouble. If I switched it off before you found out I'd be okay.
3. Thought I saw the light on / heard some noise (as I got up for the toilet) - wondered what YOU were doing out here, but you weren't . . .no idea what it was. Do you think the computer is really safe out there?
4. I felt sick and needed some fresh air . . . . . infact i gotta go to the loo right now . . .excuse me . . . . . :lol:
Hammer_other

Post by Hammer_other »

I think I have an adapted version of your first idea KODIAK. I'll post another pic of my room, as I think I may be able to store the ladder sections under my bed. See what you think. As to the second idea, my parents know that I want to be OL with you at that time, and even my dad could work out what I'd be trying to do at 2:45BST. And yes DA, I'm very serious about this. I feel oppressed.

KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

Hammer says:
And yes DA, I'm very serious about this. I feel oppressed
:lol: Don't we all at that age?!
Hammer_other

Post by Hammer_other »

Been going on for a while now-almost 2 years, even before I was a teen. Only problem is finding a time when I'm the only one at home, so that I can test the ladders without anyone inquiring what I am doing. This means family, not yobs and average people in the street.

KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

Why don't you wash the windows as a good deed - just say something like, my window was dirty so I cleaned it - only to find the dirt was on the outside. So now I'm going to do that - maybe I'll go round and do all the windows upstairs . . . . . :wink:
They'll probably think you're mad - but just add that they shouldn't ignore the fact that you're growing up, and you'll soon be up and leaving home.
That way you don't need to worry about whose at home and it also gives you a reason to be fumbling with the ladder sections. Don't forget to ask them to buy a proper window squeegie blade so you can doa decent job too, eh? Just adds to the realism of what you're doing - and although it might mean you have to do the windows now and again, it's a small price to pay for having a decent cover story. There'll always be an excuse for having the ladders under your window or be found putting them there earlier in the day in preparation for your evening excursion.