For Don "Kodiak" McKee

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hammer_other

For Don "Kodiak" McKee

Post by Hammer_other »

I found out from his wife yesterday that he is very sick in hospital at the moment. The line they put in to support his blood vessels has become infected, so that's not helping at all. I feel that we should all spare him a thought over this week, and hope he gets better soon.

PS, he agreed to this post.
"...and the bombs go BOOM and the walls crash down, bang, bang, boom, boom, war is a terrible thing, OK?!..."

[img]http://www.stevelanephotography.co.uk/aviation/TEMP/Area51.jpg[/img]
Softball

Kodiak

Post by Softball »

Get well soon bro, we're thinking about you.

Dale

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

May God watch over you in all the dark places you must roam.
Nemisis

Post by Nemisis »

I know you are not too religious Kodiak, me too, but you know that i will be willing you to get better ASAP after all you can't leave me too long alone with these american types :D us Scots have to stick together.

Wishing you a fast recovery and will see you OL as soon as you feel up to it!.

Hammer thanks for letting us know about his current situation.
Lose Sight! Lose The Fight!8)
Barrie "Nemisis" Brownlee
[img]http://img201.exs.cx/img201/2690/nemisissignature0xl.gif[/img]
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

Wait what in the hell is going on, what happened to Kodiak? One day we are talking on RW and now he's in the hospital.

Kodiak you better pull thru or I'm gonna come and get ya! (any excuse to cross the pond)

Keith
Grim Diablo, Grand Admiral, Erebus System Survey Group
Death Angel, SGT, 13th MEU
Hammer_other

Post by Hammer_other »

The line they put in to support one of his blood vessels has become infected. I don't know all the reasons, but I'm asking for a sitrep every day. DA, as for 'crossing the pond', no one's stopping you! 8)
"...and the bombs go BOOM and the walls crash down, bang, bang, boom, boom, war is a terrible thing, OK?!..."

Hammer_other

Post by Hammer_other »

OK lads, sitrep straight from his wife:

Kerrie says:
Dons line has been removed and his temperature has come down. they think they have found the right antibiotic to treat him now and it seems to be working. He says to say thanx to everyone for their support but i dont know how to post on WOF. He still has high hopes of being out by Fri and is really looking forward to being online and playing again with everyone

Hope this is a definite morale boost.

Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Good deal...

Hammer,
Tell Kerrie if she wants a user on the forums she can create one and we will make her part of the group. If she needs help doing that I or anyone else here will help her do that.
Helmut
Hammer_other

Post by Hammer_other »

Roger Wilco

daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

I know I haven't keep up lately but what is wrong with Kodiak, I mean I talked to him on RW not to long ago and he was fine to me. How long has this medical condition been going on and more importantly what is is chance of survial???

DA
Hammer_other

Post by Hammer_other »

He's had lymph node cancer since December '03, and I found out that the lymph nodes are important in the immune system. I understand his chances of survival are quite high; he's likely to be on again by the end of the week.

KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

Okay, listen up out there! The monster has finally broken free of his bonds and, having wreaked much havoc within his cage he has discarded it like a toy in the corner and is actively seeking his teddybear - one can only imagine WHAT he'll do to that when he finds it . . . . . . :roll:

That's right people, I've escaped ! :twisted: I didn't see it coming until they offered me that lovely looking white jacket - you know, the one with the straps the wrong way round . . . . Y . e . s ! They fooled me once, but it WON'T happen again . . . . . now where's that bloody teddybear of mine . . . . . I have things to do. :twisted:
Softball

Post by Softball »

now where's that bloody teddybear of mine . . . . . I have things to do.

8O

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

Okay, the real deal this time!
Just a few lines to keep, everyone informed how things are going.
I have been released today with a clean bill of health as far as the infection is concerned which was caused by the insertion of the Hickman line. (Hickman line is a tube inserted into the body and breaches one of the main veins/arteries to provide intraveneous access)
Anyway, the line was infected and caused me to react with my already low white blood cell count the result was a screaming body temp and lots of vomiting - off to hospital then! Diagnosis - Neutrophilic Sepsis, I'd obviously gone neutropenic!! 8O Anyone confused yet?
Okay, so then we do all the tests - piss tests, blood tests, snot tests . . .well you hear where I'm coming from, eh?! Well, they take nearly 45 mins to get a frigging needle in my arm, by which time there was very little left of it. As at least one of you knows the chemo treatment makes you very sensitive and your veins get hard and scarred the result is near impossibility of use and they do eventually collapse if used too often. So there I am at the 2004 Marlboro World Darts Play Championship playing the part of the dartboard. Man, I tell ya that doctor needs to get a new friggin job cos she thought she was doing lyposuction with that thing - I mean she hit everything with it except the vein, she hit the bone more than just a few times and inbetween the bones at my wrist. Now that really hurt, as if it wasn't painful enough right? So then she has the tenacity to stand outside and say she wants a blood sample from my groin - YEAH, and let me tell where I'll be shoving that needle young lady if you so much as look at me with it! So she sends in her best male nurse instead of doing it herself. So I told him where the door was as well - in the end they sent the Anaethetist down, she did it first time - yes it hurt too - but she got the result first time. What a comedy show, eh? Then it took them another 3 hours to put me in X-ray and another hour before I saw the ward. We turned up at 2330Hrs approx and didn't get to a ward until 0630Hrs the following morning. Well they eventually found a blood culture - Staphilis Areus or simply Staph to those in the know - apparently! :roll: This is a bacterias found on your skin - most everyone has it but it's when it gets into your blood there becomes a serious problem. And I get 6 days IV Abx. Once all my infection markers had come back to normal after only 3 days, the consultant relented and let me out again, so here I am!
It is not the technique that wins a fight, but the more furious mind - Kodiak WOF

You are stuck on stupid. I'm not going to answer that question! - Gen Honore, New Orleans Sep 05
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

On a more serious note - my thanx extended to all who kept me in their thoughts. Now that I am back on my feet I expect nothing but the worst of jokes and degrading of verbal dribble to be launched in my direction. Hmmmm . . .. I think I hear the golf course singing my name, must go . . . . . . :roll:
It is not the technique that wins a fight, but the more furious mind - Kodiak WOF

You are stuck on stupid. I'm not going to answer that question! - Gen Honore, New Orleans Sep 05
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

Where's that damn teddybear I've got things to do??? Does your wife know about these things that goes bump in the night in your head? :lol: :D :roll: :P

But seriously folks. My uncle has a tumor on his lung and they believe they caught it in time and he just got thru his first round of kemo and radiation treatments, they say all is gone and there is a 90% chance it will stay in remition but he has to go thru kemo and radiation again in four months just to be certain. Kodiak I do not envy your wife right now because I see what kemo and radiation does to you and theres nothing you can do to help, God speed Kodiak and get well, and never stop fighting ok.

DA
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

I have to say that I have been very fortunate in terms of staying fit. And in addition to that I have been eating very well - lost my taste, but not my appetite. You find yourself craving things; problem is you're just not sure what it is until you have it on the plate - worse than being pregnant!! 8O
Don't get me wrong I've had my low moments, but that's all they've been and I manage to bounce back quick enough.
Results are coming up for my CT scan, I should have those for Wednesday as I go for my next chemotherapy session - so we'll see what that holds for me, eh?! Have to be honest, I'm sared shitless at the thought of the results - just gotta keep my fingers crossed I guess. :wink: