Iran Bans Western Influence

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hammer

Post by Hammer »

that just shows a rather extremist and limited view...not that Iran's govenrment is not extreme, they are. wherever that text came from is not very professional - especially the second one about music. press is supposed to at least try and be objectional... where did those quotes come from?

It is most likely they are closing the doors to continue on their nuclear program in as much secrecy as possible as well as suppress any shred of democracy that could leak into their country.
Helmut
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Yep yep, with Steel on this one. This is not journalism; this is pseudo-journalism or op-ed at best.
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

Yeah, I like the part about space stations. NASA's budget for the last TEN YEARS is less than ONE year of defense spending. It's tiny beans. If we cut NASA to zero tomorrow it wouldn't help ANYTHING other than destroy what lead we have in space. In fact, we spent more in Iraq in the last 12 months, just for continuing ops (which are admittedly underfunded) than NASA has spent in the last 18 months.

The problem is some people have NO imagination and NO foresight. Since the space program doesn't seem to be helping THEM directly, it must be a waste, right?
I'd cut Medicare and welfare first. This country went over 150 years without them, it doesn't NEED them. If people are too poor, too bad. Most people have no concept how to budget themselves, or just don't care with a "the gov't will bail me out" attitude. I sure as hell don't want my taxes going to the crackwhores. I wish we could designate what our taxes go to. I'd send mine 50% defense and 50% NASA.
The Jedi Master
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Grifter wrote:This is not journalism; this is pseudo-journalism or op-ed at best.

Ah. Just like CNN, MSNBC, FOX NEWS, local news stations, etc!

Only place I've found serious and objective journalism is from The Economist and the McNeil/Lehrer News Hour on PBS.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

Understand your sentiments Jedi, but you DO realise of course it isn't as simple as saying if people are too poor - tough! Because we should ALL understand that there are those who are too unfortunate to be able to take care of themselves. You are referring to the sponging "bar stewards" who suck our economy dry by refusing to help themselves when they can.
Generally speaking, we as a planet are edging closer to extinction, and we'll never make it out the other side unless we can exist peacefully as a planet. There are, of course, those on our own side who are nothing motre than war mongers, who see war as a means trowards an end of their own making, and not that of our own nations people as a whole.
It is not the technique that wins a fight, but the more furious mind - Kodiak WOF

You are stuck on stupid. I'm not going to answer that question! - Gen Honore, New Orleans Sep 05
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

Let's just say I've never met someone I consider "legitimately" down on their luck. For one reason or another, they always made deliberate decisions that got them where they were (drugs, laziness, being utterly stupid). There were usually myriads of opportunities to turn away from the gutter, but they always failed to do so.
These people...I don't feel like subsidizing their lack of usefulness...
I remember my wife was trying to sell life insurance in this one neighborhood, and she asked the woman at the door, "what would happen to your family if you couldn't work anymore?" She responded, "Oh, I don't work. The gov't pays me enough that I don't have to" as her 5 kids were running around screaming in the background of the apartment.
The Jedi Master
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Jedi Master wrote: She responded, "Oh, I don't work. The gov't pays me enough that I don't have to" as her 5 kids were running around screaming in the background of the apartment.
Um yeah...not exactly the IDEAL life insurance candidate. LOL
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
RevRaz

Post by RevRaz »

I'm with them, let's ban Western Music here in the US too. Bring on more Metal!
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

you're right Panz. they all suck. CNN et al. I like NPR myself, but I know it can lean left to the center at times. I do my best to account for that when I tune in. I like their morning edition show though, it tends to be just the straight dope on what's going on, you know, level one to level two reporting at best. I like Charlie Rose on PBS and the shows you mentioned are good as well. The BBC is always good just to hear what the other side of the pond thinks...They usually report on stuff going on in the world that we don't even consider putting on air. Sky News isn't half bad but I have my reservatins about them as well. You gotta take it all with a grain of salt and think critically about who is saying what and why if you want to seperate facts from opinion.

I don't even watch network news anymore, especially have that post here about the journalist paddling in a canoe in New Orleans and a couple of guys walk past here in the background. What a jerk.
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

Stupid people don't know any better, so really they don't count - you can't change the genes you're born with!! And if that means no brain to serve you well for the future, clearly your decisions will not be inherently smart. :shock:
It is not the technique that wins a fight, but the more furious mind - Kodiak WOF

You are stuck on stupid. I'm not going to answer that question! - Gen Honore, New Orleans Sep 05