star citizen alpha 2.2 now on live servers.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

BlackHawk*K

star citizen alpha 2.2 now on live servers.

Post by BlackHawk*K »

as the tittle says, 2.2 is now on the live servers.

find out about it here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... -Available

some changes a lot of things. EVA is changed to be a lot more realistic and more in line like flying a ship. ( yes your EVA suit will now counter thrust like your ship flight systems... so you will come to a stop if you quite hitting the forward button..)

the BIGGEST thing ive seen is that the squad system is MUCH better when trying to get into the same instance of the universe together. to the point, that it actually works. ( YAA!!)

you are now penalized for doing criminal activities in the PU. like killing people, shutting down COM arrays, shooting people at the repair station, and other criminal activities will give you a criminal level in monitored space. the first 4 levels you will be able to remain in the PU server, if you die while at level 5 you will be kicked from the server and will have to log back into the PU server.

there are quite a few other things but i will leave you guys with that...
Bronurstomp

Re: star citizen alpha 2.2 now on live servers.

Post by Bronurstomp »

I found myself in a dog fight while doing an investigation run to the probe. At first I didn't know what was happening, as my shields were getting pinged by something. Luckily, I have the reflex action to move when I hear something like that, then I noticed this other Super-Hornet was firing on my ship. The ensuing dogfight lasted a good 3 or 4 minutes, and then my last missile launch found it's target and I heard "Target destroyed". I remembered then to turn on the chat window, and saw someone congratulate me on a good fight. Don't recall the pilots name. Then while I was working on the com array mission, I saw a triangle icon pop up that said <PUBLIC ENEMY>. Of course I had to go investigate, and found that same Super Hornet engaged with two other ships. Apparently he learned his lesson, and before they destroyed him, he Quantum traveled to the repair outpost. I followed him, and watch him get ganged up on there too. He must have logged out after that because I didn't see him any more.
The game is still glitchy for me. It hangs randomly, and loading times are really long between selecting the hangar, or the universe. Also, I still crash if I go to the hangar, modify my ship, then try to go to the universe with the weapons changed.
The first time I ran the 2.2, I went out the wrong door after selecting my ship, and when I tried to EVA to my ship, my guy got stuck at the point where he should have dropped back to walking near my ship.
Anyway, still too buggy, and time consuming to be much fun yet. I'm beginning to worry that this is going to be one of those games, like Word of Warcraft was, where you have to dedication at least four hours of play to accomplish anything useful.
But I really hope there will be a way to like, log in, grab a mission, go complete it, and then log off in under two hours.
Bronurstomp

Post by Bronurstomp »

Well, microsoft managed to update my win7 to win10 even though I had done everything I could to avoid it. I suspect my wife got on my computer, and instead of closing the annoying popup to install win10, she clicked something else, which got their foot in the door of my system. So, Friday night after working in the basement for a few hours, I went up to sit at my computer to play MWO or maybe Star Citizen, and lo and behold my screen says, installing Windows10, 27%... Son of a....

Anyway, I knew I didn't dare try to try to interrupt it, so I let it go. A few minutes later I came back, answered the questions (mostly NO I DONT WNT TO SEND MY INFO!) and viola, my system was up and running Win10.
Ok so I have to admit, that so far, everything EXCEPT Star Citizen is working. I uninstalled SC, and tried again, but the installer crashes.

Um, help?
BlackHawk*K

Post by BlackHawk*K »

i really dont know much about windows 10 stuff. i know people are using it to play star citizen however.

there are a lot of articles out there about the windows 10 updategate.

from what i read, there was one point you could just click the x on the window to close out of the update message, then recently, they updated the box to mean when you click the x it meant go ahead. there are a crap ton of people pissed about it.

did you download a new launcher from the CIG site? i cant think of any changes what would cause the old one to not work, but you never know.

they are going to be launching 2.4 to live soon i think. its going to be a big learning curve to the older system, including a different keyboard load out. ( but, i heard you will have the ability to set it to the older load out.) they have added the ability to purchase items in the universe, firearms, space suits, clothing. and you can now earn aUEC in game. the servers should no longer reset what you buy or the money you have in game. so we are looking at the first test at persistence. they have changed some missions, and added some new ones. they have also changed how you get ships in hangers and how you change things on your ships. ( no more holotable.) right now its very basic, but it seems to work ok.

if i hear anything about why launchers are crashing in windows 10 and they found a fix. i will post it here.

<S>
Bronurstomp

Post by Bronurstomp »

Thanks Blackhawk. I'm not terribly concerned just yet, since the whole game is still under development. I'll be too busy with graduations this weekend, but hopefully sometime next week I can spend some time with it. I did read somewhere that you need to leave your computer on and running win10 for like, days, for all the updates to actually get loaded in. Well, I don't leave my computer running when I'm not using it, so it'll probably be a while before the OS finished installing itself. I looked around a bit and noticed others having the same problem, while others have no trouble at all.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying out some of the new content. See you in the 'Verse! (maybe)...

Update: Looking around on the forums, I found an answer.
Reduce your font size.
What the hell does that mean?
Well, if you right click the desktop in WIN10, you can drill down to your display settings, and sure enough, there is a menu and slider for Font size. Reduced it a few notches and next time I try to run the patcher, it works!
So I was able to download the latest version, 2.2.1 I think? Played around in the hanger, which looks nicer, but still pretty much acts the same.
Changes I made to my Hornet didn't get translated into the 'verse.
Tried running a mission, the probe investigation one, got into a dogfight with the NPC, got 1 kill, then one of the enemy ships spiraled into an asteroid, and when I tried to follow it down, I found it had traveled threw to the other side, whereas I crashed into it. So reload, and retry, and on the return trip to the outpost, the game went to a black screen while the lady was talking.
So still too buggy. But otherwise it seems to be shaping up to be a decent game.