TTI Syria 08.18.21

Post AAR's and video footage of missions and sorties here.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Bones

TTI Syria 08.18.21

Post by Bones »

SEAD:

Couldn't get any of the SAM guys to light up but got some Maverick kills. Ran low on fuel, and found I didn't have a TACAN to guide me to the carrier.

It appears the TACAN stopped working as Trichrome could not get a TACAN either.

I didn't want to use the F10 map to find an airfield and my moving map was acting funny. So I used the datalink to see where Trichrome and Jedi had landed, then the ground radar in EXP3 mode to paint up the runways. Was able to land safely, rearm and refuel.

CAP:

Big problem on this one. I had a blue on blue. Looking at the video, I had positively locked on to the bandit...he was IFF'd as hostile and everything. However, the AIM-120C was in visual mode, which has it fire in pitbull. Though I was locked onto the bandit, Trichrome happened to get in between the missile and the bandit and so the missile tracked Trichrome instead. You can see the missile actually switch targets and chase Trichrome when it suddenly veers left.

Sorry Trichrome!

So lesson learned here is it doesn't matter if you have a positive lock on a hostile, if someone gets in the way when the missile is pitbull, it will go after them. So don't fire if someone is in the immediate area unless you can tell them to break away before the shot. PLus, I don't think my SA was completely there and I see how important that gets to be more and more.

Some interesting kills here afterwards...a MiG-31 took a missile but didn't go down, I had to finish him off with an off boresight AIM-9X, acquired by the JHMCS helmet sight, that was fun. The last kill I conducted AWI (all weather intercept) with proper radio calls to kill an F-5E. I was trying to finish the night as an ace--I guess if you count my killiung Trichrome, I got 5 kills haha. But it meant running out of gas. I dumped all my remaining stores to get more fuel efficient and tried to stay at about 250 KIAS.

Again, the TACAN wasn't working so that made it near impossible to find the boat. I just had azimuth calls, not knowing how far way they were. The moving map was inop, I don't know why, I didn't want to use the F10 map. So I looked at the datalink and pointed my nose at some Tomcats to find the CVW and saw the smoke from the Russian boat. Looking closer and using ATC azimuth, I found the boat. I took her straight in on emergency fuel. Trapped with an OK2. Phew, ended up on the deck with 1040 lbs of gas left.

So I urge you to use pilotage/dead reckoning more often rather than the F10 map or someone coaching you in, it will make for more realistic experiences and make you a better, thinking, (virtual) pilot!

Hammer, any ideas? Did the boat stop broadcasting TACAN? Maybe after a certain WP it turns off the TACAN?

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Trichome

Re: TTI Syria 08.18.21

Post by Trichome »

Im fine with you using me as the 5th kill to solidify the ACE title on the night. I will say that AIM-120 took a massive hard left and went right for me. I wish I could give it a piece of my mind... I mean CMON...lol

I feel like I spend so much time focusing on the flight and weapon deployment without having learned how to properly utilize all the tools in the Hornet. That F10 map is a blessing and a curse. I have got to get better at using the tools at our disposal.

Bones - you're awesome to fly with and I hope one day to be half as proficient as you. Sometimes you'll say a term and im throwing my papers around my desk trying to figure out what it meant...lol
Bones

Post by Bones »

Naw, as I SEAL once said, "I'm OK....it's just the rest of the world sucks, hahaha."

If there is a term I use that you don't know feel free to ask.

You'll pretty good behind the stick and I see lots of potential in you. We all will help you hone that! We're glad to have you aboard.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Bones,
as stated in email, it is likely the mission as it is a few revisions old. or it is the mission was made with an older version of DCS and might just need to be opened in a new version and saved.

when i can i will grab a newer version and RLG'ify it. it is a hefty amount of work though. need to get my game pc functional again first, not sure how soon that will be right now.
Helmut
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Bones wrote:
19 Aug 2021, 19:47
Naw, as I SEAL once said, "I'm OK....it's just the rest of the world sucks, hahaha."

If there is a term I use that you don't know feel free to ask.

You'll pretty good behind the stick and I see lots of potential in you. We all will help you hone that! We're glad to have you aboard.

v6,
boNes
Thanks Bones....Will do!