Mace the Bear 090621

Post AAR's and video footage of missions and sorties here.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Bones

Mace the Bear 090621

Post by Bones »

Here's a great single mission that takes alot of thinking on your feet. I love the voiceovers too.

Trichome, add Clutchy to the list of pretty cool SP mission makers.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Trichome

Re: Mace the Bear 090621

Post by Trichome »

Ill check them out bones...

Question.. at 8min mark - Did you fire an AIM 7F at a ground target while using A/A mode?
Bones

Re: Mace the Bear 090621

Post by Bones »

No, I had happened upon the enemy helos that were headed my way. I locked a Sparrow on one but it failed to guide, probably too close or too close to the ground in the clutter. Since they were helos, and close to the ground, that's probably why it looked like I was firing at a ground target.

Problem I found is that it's hard for a fast mover to kill helos. They are small and at the slow speeds they fly at and the high speeds I fly at, I lose the tally easily (which I did in this instance). I can launch a Sidewinder on them but they have flares. That's why I started with a Sparrow--I don't think they have chaff or an RWR to let them know I fired a radar missile at them. But as you see it didn't work.

The only reason why I found them was I wised up and figured they were heading to the crash site so I pointed in that general direction and let the radar paint them, then used JHMCS to lock them, which was also having trouble probably because they were so small.

Finally, it was also hard to kill them with guns. Again, I'm so fast and they're so slow I could overshoot really quick. That's why I went vertical to try to mitigate that, but now I'm heading nose down at a low altitude and high speed trying the spray and pray technique. I was lucky enough to hit him, but I didn't kill him. I was tempted to finish him off but I knew I was informed there was a fast mover in the area and I didn't know where HE was and I now only had 1 Sparrow and half a gun, which is not very good for a bandit I HAVE to fight to save Chips. When I saw the HIND was bugging out, I decided to let him go. My mission was to protect Chips and Rescue One, and the HIND was flying directly AWAY so instead of going for kill notch glory, I let him go.

Good thing too because I either would have done something stupid and crashed trying to kill the HIND or overshooting and get riddled by the HIND's cannons, or get bounced by the MiG-25 while I was preoccupied with a lowly HIND--and sure enough, the Foxbat showed up.

I really didn't think my Sparrow was going to hit. I used the FLIR to verify it and it looked like the Foxbat was beating my Sparrow until I saw the impact in the FLIR. So the FLIR came in a handy there.

Now the Mavericks against the BTRs. I saw the BTRs before the HINDs but to me the BTRs were far off and sicne there was a mountain between Chips and them, I didn't really see how they could get to Chips before I could get to them. SO when the HINDs showed up, I decided that the BTRs were low priority. After all the air threats were gone, I worked the BTRs. But it was not easy to get the lock. It takes very fine button movement to slew the seeker manually, but know where your controls are and how to use them--if I didn't I wouldn't have been able to select narrow FOV to make it easier to lock up a BTR. But I was also dealing with an SA-6...

So that was another challenge: trying to get a Maverick off or fighting bandits with SA-6s being lobbed at me. Know your missile defense! I admit I exploited the SA-6 too. Since I can see where they were in the RWR and where the BTRs were, when I dodged a missile or egressed and got disoriented and/or lsot, I used the SA-6 RWR return to orient myself back to where the BTRs were and kill them. To be honest, if the SA-6 didn't try to kill me so much, all of their BTRs would probably still be alive.

So it was a good successful mission...but it was alot to process and took alot of thinking on my toes!

And of course stupid me landed at the wrong airbase! It would suck to end a good mission with skidding off the runway and dying in the crash, so I was nervous about that.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot