Operation Snow Fox Night Strike Frigates 011722

Post AAR's and video footage of missions and sorties here.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Bones

Operation Snow Fox Night Strike Frigates 011722

Post by Bones »

WE actually had a night mission tonight complete with night traps...harrowing!

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Hammer

Re: Operation Snow Fox Night Strike Frigates 011722

Post by Hammer »

I loved the night mission. Huge difference in operations, and landings have pucker factor no matter ground or ship based.

A lot of patience is needed to bring birds home on the carrier at night, it is amazing how this is rote in RL.
Helmut
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Wish I could’ve made it. I love night mission too. We need more of it on our server and we need those who are not to get night qualified.
Bones

Post by Bones »

Grifter wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 09:41
Wish I could’ve made it. I love night mission too. We need more of it on our server and we need those who are not to get night qualified.
I enjoyed it, especially the landings. But we discussed briefly about it after the mission and thought that other people might not find it as enjoyable and probably won't want to fly missions at night with us, so I believe Hammer was resetting the time for daylight, at least for Wed's missions.

Maybe we should take a poll as to whether people want to do night missions?

BTW, Hammer, I checked the NATOPs on the distance abeam the boat on downwind and I was wrong. It is 2 nm, not 1.2

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

The landings were tough but fun. I like an odd night mission thrown in once in a while.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

A long time ago I did a night mission plus bad weather while flying a KA-50. That's pretty much the toughest challenge I've had to date in any flight sim so far.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Yah Bones, per my readout at the LSO station, you looked too close. My guess is that for night it is further out abeam, along with further out astern for night/case III (it is case III, yes)?
Helmut
Bones

Post by Bones »

Hammer wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 11:59
Yah Bones, per my readout at the LSO station, you looked too close. My guess is that for night it is further out abeam, along with further out astern for night/case III (it is case III, yes)?

Yes it is Case III. CAse II is for ceiling below 1000 ft and viz less than 3 mi or night.

Also, I found a slight glitch that is no one's fault but DCS' really. Case III and Case II marshals are typically astern the boat...but if you recall, they had me marshall ahead of the boat. That's why it was weird coming in right to the downwind. All AI LSO comms broke down at that point.

Also they gave me a push time of 21 and we were at 8. We don't have time for that! So I just pushed on my own haha.

v6,
boNes