In Flight Refueling Practice - F/A-18C

Post AAR's and video footage of missions and sorties here.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Bones

In Flight Refueling Practice - F/A-18C

Post by Bones »

Decided I shoudl probably actually learn tanking so I did it in a Hornet to start. I got it to plug but freak out when I do and can't stay in long, but the most I took on was 2600 lbs of gas...that's enough for an extra trap so I think I'm getting better.

The best part was the weather. The new DCS cloud system where the weather moves really had an effect here. I decided to end the mission by flying to either Sochi or Gaudata. I saw a cloud deck and figured I would do an IAP to get to either, but the charts I had were incomplete. I happened ot find a hole in the clouds where I saw Sooochi with its runway completely clear of clouds so I tried to get there as soon as possible. As I turned into the downwind, I saw the clouds north of it rolling in, so I reversed to a right downwind to get me on the ground faster. By the time I was on final, the clouds had rolled in to cover half of the runway and were still coming! I landed (who puts power lines across the end of the runway?!?) but as I rolled out down the runway, I was headed into the clouds/fog. I had no idea if I would hit someone or something or run off the runway. Luckily I was fine, but the weather came in and overtook me.

Check out the footage here. If there are long pauses during tanking, it's because I was messaging with Trichome at the time. Scroll to the end to see the weather come in--I am impressed with this DCS weather update!

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot