DEsert Storm Hop

Post AAR's and video footage of missions and sorties here.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Bones

DEsert Storm Hop

Post by Bones »

To remember the anniversary of OPeration Desert Storm, I flew the Ode to Mango hop where you have to fight your way to the IRaqi airbase past MiGs and bomb the Iraqi SOC base there.

This was an actual mission on the day of Desert Storm's start and showcased the Hornet's ability to go from fighter to strike fighter.

I killed (2) MiG-21s then made it to the airbase and dropped a salvo of (4) Mk82s in CCIP mode. SHack on the SOC base.

I was really low on fuel coming back but I caught up with the tanker. The other aircraft in my pacakge already drank him dry so I was only able to get about 1500 lbs before he broke hard left and departed. But it was barely enough to make it to the boat. But then they told me it was a Case III recovery.

WIth the fuel emergency I came back to the boat after the other aircraft were clear, skipping Marshall. This video shows my Case III trap:

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot