Mon Night Training Hop

Post AAR's and video footage of missions and sorties here.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Bones

Mon Night Training Hop

Post by Bones »

Check out Hammer's ride at 05:47 and JestHer's being a potty mouth at 9:00

Hammer/Bones team:

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Xpendable

Re: Mon Night Training Hop

Post by Xpendable »

On Monday's training hop, Trichome and I worked together where Trichome was in Apache acting as a FAC(A), or Forward Air Controller (airborne). He was picking out targets for me with his laser and I was firing AGM-65 E2/L Mavericks and then later dropping laser guided bombs (GBU-12's).

It was great fun, although we didn't use the proper procedures for this and I inexplicably forgot how to use the laser track search on my plane which would have been a big help.

I don't know if you guys have any knowledge of how to do a nine-line or how to use keyhole references. Might be worth me doing a write up on how it works because it can add a lot, including aircraft deconflicting when multiple planes are attacking targets. Of course it requires someone to act in that role. The AI JTAC/FAC(A) that DCS has built in works the same way, and so this info is helpful in better understanding what is happening when you are using the Reaper or Predator to lase targets for you. I will start a separate thread. This may be a review for some of you or it could be new information for some of us. Either way, I will write it up for anyone who is interested in understanding the process.
Bones

Post by Bones »

Xpendable wrote:
21 Apr 2023, 05:03

I don't know if you guys have any knowledge of how to do a nine-line or how to use keyhole references. Might be worth me doing a write up on how it works because it can add a lot, including aircraft deconflicting when multiple planes are attacking targets. Of course it requires someone to act in that role. The AI JTAC/FAC(A) that DCS has built in works the same way, and so this info is helpful in better understanding what is happening when you are using the Reaper or Predator to lase targets for you. I will start a separate thread. This may be a review for some of you or it could be new information for some of us. Either way, I will write it up for anyone who is interested in understanding the process.
I am familiar with JTAC and the nine line brief. I can help you out with that if you want, especially as it pertains to VAICOM Pro because you need to say certain phrases to enable the various calls on the radio and they are not necessarily intuitive.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

I am more versed in the process versus what DCS has. DCS Jtac simplifies some of it and it is not 100 percent accurate to how it is done in real life. For example, keyhole is in use for past couple of decades but DCS doesn't do it. Also DCS never gives you lines 1, 2 or 3. Some conditions should necessitate those lines on a type 2 (and always on a type 1) but DCS doesn't support that ever.

There is also some bugs where JTAC will remove the lase options on subsequent run ins. Go figure.