Carrier Ops Training

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Buffalo Six

Carrier Ops Training

Post by Buffalo Six »

Hey guys, the other night we had a skip bombing mission and several people said they didnt know how to do it. Also some of us were going to attempt carrier landings.

I put together 2 map/missions where we can practice on. One is a live moving carrier where we can practice carrier take offs and landings with the carrier moving at a good clip.

Or I made a dog fight map where we can practice/learn carrier approaches and traps on a non moving carrier, this way you can crash and just hop in a new plane. Also there are several ships about where we can practice bombing (dive, skip, normal).

Panzer let me know and I can email you the files because I still have not figured out why I can host IL2 games.
PanzerMeyer

Re: Carrier Ops Training

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Buffalo Six wrote:Panzer let me know and I can email you the files because I still have not figured out why I can host IL2 games.
Sure thing Buff! I'll send you a private message with my email address in a bit.

I have done carrier landings in the past successfully but skip bombing I know I need to work on. Letterboy is damn good at skip bombing.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

almost forgot........

for carrier landings(and take offs for that matter) you will need to have these controls defined for use...

TailHook

that glass nose cockpit view with the crosshairs (we will be using the 1st one that has the flight path indicator)
the switch for feet/indicated airspeed instead of meters in the speed bar (because I fly in feet not meters and I learned how to do this in feet/indicated)
fold/unfold wings

and I'll teach it in the corsair, if you can do it in a hog, you can do it with any carrier plane.

Simple notes:
- 1000 ft on downwind, 150-170 indicated
- turn base, reduce power, dirty up (hook, full flaps, gear and if your salty...open the canopy)
- turn final at 800-1000 ft, should be down to 100-110 indicated. Switch to glass cockpit, put pipper on carrier, reduce speed to 100-90 indicated (warning...the corsiar WILL STALL at 70 indicated)
- keep pipper centered on carrier, start transitioning to high AoA (nose high)....my rule of thumb is keep the pipper about 1/2 of the sight ring below the bottom of the sight ring...for now.
- as you get closer to carrier, keep the pipper on the bow, using throttle to adjust glide slope.
- as you near landing, use throttle and AoA to bring the pipper back into the landing wires, reduce throttle a little and pick the nose up a little to bring the pipper to the landign area.
- as you cross the fantail, cut throttle, and flare slightly.....hope for a 3 wire.

Watch the bounce......if you are not hual'd to a stop immediately, apply full power and bolter.........rinse and repeat.
Last edited by Buffalo Six on 22 Oct 2008, 11:18, edited 2 times in total.
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

one thing about the speed bar (its that little display in the lower left hand corner that shows airspeed/alt

when you flip it to feet/IAS.....

feet are rounded to nearest 50ft
and IAS is round to nearest 10.......you have to remember that 10 or your swimming.........
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

Well, because I was bored last night, I took the moving carrier landing practice mission and "Kicked it Up a Notch".....

I added a carrier so the AI can land and not mess with me as I practice landing....

and I changed the weather to.......a freaking hurricane! OMG! Just getting off the deck without hitting the Island was a challenge.....on landing I boltered 3 times and on the 4th attempt, I was all crabbed over, to say I was in a slip is a understatement, and mis-judged the deck rising to me and well I landed.....or crashed....but walked away. I sheared off the gear and dead stopped the mill and they probably had to push the bird overboard....but man I was actually sweating.......

Let me know if you want to try it =)

Oh and like I said.....just taking off was "fun"......half the AI crashed into the Island

I made a .TRK file of the last bolter and the crash/trap.....if anyone wants it
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

I do

and yess buff I Heard you on coms last night in my mostaly asleep state. I crashed at about 8 pm and I know it was you betting you wanted me to try it lol

But I will try it tonight man, I am so going to die
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

yes it was me.......

remember to set up your keys for the things listed above
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

i will see what I can do. need to map to hotas tho map in game to keyboard then to hotas programing thing
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Buff and I spent a few hr's at the training last night. Made 2 sucesfull carrior landings in a row and did some skip bombing. Using unlimited amo and a LARGE supply of target ships means can get your distancess down.