I have turned to the dark side

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Buffalo Six

I have turned to the dark side

Post by Buffalo Six »

Last night I installed (after DL 4 250mb files at work and burning them to cd) the Unified Installer from AllAircraftArcade. It includes all the aircaft mods, plus all the flyable plane mods (like the B17 etc.) of the planes in the game but not flyable. They used ingame cockpits for everything, like the B17 and B24 use the B25 cockpit and the B29 uses the 111 (which looks stupid) but the others are believable. basically every plane listed in the game is flyable.

But thats not what blows your socks off.

If nothign else, the Sound Mod will rock your world. .50's sound like...well .50's! The Corsair startup and engine sounds are killer. New damage effects sounds.....well put it this way, I was flying a Hurri in a BoB campaign, and I got hit by something out of a Ju88, the hit made me jump, literally, and then you could almost hear the round bounce off 2 or 3 things....it was awesome!

The could mod is a sight to see....no more puffballs of white. It comes with new .dlls so you can pump the water to 4 and it looks wicked, hell I fired up the OMG carrier landing mission and the sea had white caps!...I know because thats the last thing I saw after I pranged it off the deck.

also this mod pack has the 6DOF for IRtrack4....and it is awesome! you can now "almost" see that damned gyro compass in the brit planes (whoever designed that needs to be shot).

All of that plus new maps (a actual BoB map and "The Slot" which I have been wanting since IL2PF came out and "forgot" that map and a larger "object buffer" to ease loading times.

I know folks are worried about compatibility. Included is a mod swapper. You can set it for full mods (409.b1a) or no mods (4.08m) or something in between. Just make sure you copy your current IL2 folder and rename it backup so you dont screw things up. I'll post soe screen shots tomorrow if I get a chance

BTW, the midway missions will be in 4.08m (our standard version) but I might also make a copy able to use the mods...wanna try to do what VT-8 couldnt? and actually hit the carrier?
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I'm going to install this stuff tonight and check it out. The mod switcher feature is absolutely great since it means that we can keep using 4.08m for our online flying.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

follow the instruction exactly....and for gods sake make a backup of your existing IL2 folder. I even went so far in my back up to rename the il2pf.exe to il2pf_OLD.exe so it didnt get overwritten

all you have to do is DL the 4 files from AAA and run the installer part one...point it at your (now to be modded) IL21946 folder and thats it....

there are a few batch files you can run to turn on things like better prop textures and the cloud mod. I tried the EAX batchfile but I found it sounded like shit to me so I have it off.
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

PanzerMeyer wrote:The mod switcher feature is absolutely great since it means that we can keep using 4.08m for our online flying.
but if we can get the 5 or 6 of us to install this we can fly with all the goodness =)

AFAIK, no flight models or damage models have changed, they are pretty adamant about that. Think of this as being able to fly unflyables, use 6DOF, and get some awesome eye candy. and by god I will start on a Marine corsair campaign in the slot. been dying for this opportunity since PF came out
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

I will get it when I go home
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

can you not fly this online? if it is so good why worry about 4.08m?
Helmut
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

is there a link outside of their forums? i am not going to create a user account just to do download this.
Helmut
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

not really Steel. Make one up with a junk email addy. I have the files on CD, which is at home. This weekend I can upload it to the FTP if you want.

Also can we get a IL2 folder on the FTP?
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

Steel wrote:can you not fly this online? if it is so good why worry about 4.08m?
if perhaps someone wants to fly with us but doesnt have 4.091a, the included switcher can with one click, set us back to standard 4.08m. Also if some of us fly on hyperlobby, some servers are still locked at 408m and others are 4.09b1a.

Anyway, if Panzer or veg cant upload the files to your FTP Steel, let me know and I will.
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

Buffalo Six wrote:
if perhaps someone wants to fly with us but doesnt have 4.091a, the included switcher can with one click, set us back to standard 4.08m. Also if some of us fly on hyperlobby, some servers are still locked at 408m and others are 4.09b1a.

Anyway, if Panzer or veg cant upload the files to your FTP Steel, let me know and I will.
How did we jump to 4.091a? I have yet to update my install and I was planning to upgrade to 4.08m or maybe I have, the problem here is what is the standard so I when I choose or not choose to install this mod I will know what WOF will be using.

DA
Grim Diablo, Grand Admiral, Erebus System Survey Group
Death Angel, SGT, 13th MEU
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

DA, did you even read all of this or just that one post?

The standard since 1946 came out is 4.08m (which I think is the last "official" patch putout by oleg and crew) its what we have been flying with for at least a year.

4.091a is a leaked (with a nod from Oleg?) beta patch that for all intents opened up IL2 to mods. So far, to keep the online play at places like Hyperlobby etc, from gettign stupid with 109s pulling 200g turns and shooting tactical nukes out of their cannons, the mod community has taken great steps to not allow people to play around with the FM's or the DM's. What this means for us players is this. Being able to fly all the planes listed in IL2, even the ones that only the AI could fly. Now for the most part these new flyable planes dont actually have the "correct" cockpits. For example, the B17G uses the B25 cockpit. When your in the plane you see the exact same cockpit you woul in a B25....but outside the windows its all a B17. Gunners also use existing gun stations in the game. Fighters are the same way. For example the TFB uses a US cockpit that I cant place, maybe a Buffalo? Also, alot of existing cockpits were spiced up and re-colored, like I was in a 190G6 and the cockpit felt a little different and there was a picture of the pilots girlfriend/wife on the dashboard. things like that.

Sounds are vastly improved, IMHO prolly the greatest MOD yet. The big radials really sound like Big Radials. The Merlin and Dimeler-Benz 109 engine sound amazing, on the 109 you can actually hear the turbo whining. .50s sound like they should, not like they are 200 feet away inside a refrigerator.

Effects are also make better. When a merlin fires up, there is a plume of fire from the manifolds...looks cool as hell.

Things like the Mustang get a mirror.

if you have TrackIR with Vector, you now have 6 DoF, meaning you have X,Y,Z plus tilt, slide side to side and zoom

and for me as a mission maker dude, I get new maps like the Slot, from Guadalcanal all the way to the top tip of Bouganville (where the Japs had a big base at Kali) or pretty much the entire Med from Tunisia to Greece and Crete on one map. Maps like the Sini or a giant Russian map around Odesa. The Normandy Maps have been MODDED to now have a chunk of England on them, not quite BoB worthy but enough for 1941 onwards. 2 maps are in the works, one being enough of England (with google maps overlays) to be able to actually DO the BoB.

That answer your questions?
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

Buffalo please show me in this post where it mentions 4.091a mod before you brought it up? Once 4.091a was mentioned thats when I became lost and I referenced back in the post for it and nothing, In other words you guys jumped around and I wanted to catch up!

DA
Grim Diablo, Grand Admiral, Erebus System Survey Group
Death Angel, SGT, 13th MEU
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

ok, fair enough. 4.091b (I cant remember if its called 4.09a or b)is a BETA.....not offical and was leaked to boot. This happened last year. It wasnt until around June/July that rumors of Mods begane creeping onto the IL2 boards here and there. I didnt find out about it till about a month ago. Panzer and Letterboy talked about it over on SimHQ forums and after reading what was in it, I took the leap. I'm just doing my part to drag the rest of you's along with me =)

But even if you dont go with the Mod beta, if you show up to fly with us, we hit the little button that says 4.08m No MODS and poof, we can all fly with you. Missions created in 4.08m still work the same in 4.09b, only things that are created in the beta that contain modded planes/maps will not go backwards, but evertyhing goes forwards...if that makes sense.

the whole darkside thing was in reference to going for the mod. Anyway, if you have 1946 all you have to do is 2 steps. Make sure your patched to 4.08m then DL the 4 MOD zips and run the one called part one....thats it.

If you dont want to make an account at AAA, then wait til this weekend and I'll upload the 4 files (if Veg or Panzer cant do it before me)
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

please do upload them. i created a category.
Helmut
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

Thanks Steel, I'll get them uploaded either tonight if i can get a modem after work or Sat.

Also thanks for the category for IL2.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

man go get the modem now, leave work early, you have to have priority man. and unless there is a girl wating for you at home for some "fun" go get the modem lol PDT_Armataz_01_12
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

ok its uploaded. I'm gonna try to finish the last 2 missions tonight for us and get it uploaded this weekend
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Buffalo Six wrote:ok its uploaded. I'm gonna try to finish the last 2 missions tonight for us and get it uploaded this weekend
Thanks for all your work and effort Buffalo.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen