Midway update

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Buffalo Six

Midway update

Post by Buffalo Six »

ok 9 missions done. briefings in place. I made the mission in 4.08m but I have play tested them in both 4.08m and 4.09b1m and both work fine.

We have the option in some missions to fly either fighters or bombers, in many missions but we are primarily bombers. All the missions are pretty much set with cruise airspeeds at 300 km/h. this is what the mission builder sets as default so I used that to set the timings. Please dont just wack the throttles to 11 and get way ahead. Being way out in front on these missions is going to be a bad thing.

Get used to AAA. I toned it down but for example there are 24ish ships in the Jap Mobile force....and thats still a lot of guns. Also flying in a straight and level line is asking for gunners to pound you.

I plan on flying these with full engine management ON, because trust me pulling the RPMs back on a wounded mill might just get you out of the area far enough to ditch without having a large arty shell land on your head. Plus some of these missions start at high alt and having control over the super charger is a plus...otherwise your mill is sucking wind.

so here are some of the controls your going to want to have set up prior to taking part.

supercharger step up
supercharger step down
prop feather
fire bottle
prop pitch increase (for US planes and most allied planes with auto pitch props....this will adjust the engine RPM)
prop pitch decrease
DIVE BRAKES!
raise gear manually
lower gear manually
tail hook
chocks
open cockpit (if you want to look cool on takeoff and landing)
radiator open

I know some have not flown with FEM on, but for the most part all of the above is pretty much for emergencies. The supercharger is easy to keep track of, if your engine is running less than 40 in/Hg, step it up (shift to next gear actually) in the F4F-4 it has 2 stages (IIRC) the SBD has normal and high blower, the Corsair for reference has normal, low and high blower. If the mill takes a hit and starts making funny noises, pull the RPMs back and throttle and hope for the best, I have found it tends to make the engine last a little longer.

All the missions are air starts except 1. On the carrier start we are in Wildcats and will have to sit in chocks for 2 mins before we take off...its just the only way to make the timing work. I dont figure we will be doing much landing as its a long flight home but the waypoits are there if you so choose.

Also we will fly these with No Map Icons, meaning you wont be able to see all the little blue planes or any red planes, you will have your plane and the waypoints. The map will NOT scroll with your plane so either zoom the map out to see all waypoints or mouse scroll the map to your plane.

I will upload the maps and skins for these missions (so VT-8 doesnt look stupid with Jap skins on their Vindicators) and you guys will have to drop the skins in the respective folders. Shouldnt be too hard.

I will put this in the portal section tonight.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Buff post up the mod to config file to remove the 2 guys standing next to the AAA guns to reduce lag.
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

christ Veg I'm at work....I will when I get home
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

what you actually do work or something when at work PDT_Armataz_01_12
Buffalo Six

Midway Update 2.0

Post by Buffalo Six »

Ok so I tested making a subset of missions enabling us to fly the Navy Torp planes I have used in these missions. OMG the FM's really, really......really suck.

The B5n2 (kate), B6n5 (jill), TBF (advenger) all fly like utter crapola. the FM has the rudder fully left making you stand on the right rudder at all times so the plane wallows around like a sick duck. I did not fly the TBM (which is just the TBF manufactured during the war by GM, it figures the one made by Ford (TBF) under contract to Grumman flys like shit) but I hear that it flys correctly....I will test.

But I think its safe to say I wont make a subset of missions for us to fly the Torp planes.....we would all die horribly anyway as thats kinda how it sets up.

Second...I want to suggest again setting up the following controls as we (yes I am forcing us to fly FEM) need to fly these with FEM. Basically we need control over the superchargers and the prop RPM and the radiators
so below is the list again with a fix to one control name that I had screwed up

supercharger step up
supercharger step down
prop feather
fire bottle
prop pitch increase (for US planes and most allied planes with auto pitch props....this will adjust the engine RPM)
prop pitch decrease
DIVE BRAKES!
raise gear manually
lower gear manually
tail hook
chocks
open cockpit (if you want to look cool on takeoff and landing)
Cowl Flaps this is basically the radiator settings and its preset to "R"