WoF Squadron Paint Jobs for IL2 *Update #2*

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Buffalo Six

WoF Squadron Paint Jobs for IL2 *Update #2*

Post by Buffalo Six »

ok so after talking to the guys on Friday night, I have decided to put together some squadron paint jobs for my mission set based in the Solomon Islands (i.e. The Slot). Setting will be early '43 as the allies begin to make the push to isolate and then destroy Rabual, a.k.a. Operation Cartwheel.

We will begin our tour starting on the Russell Islands. This is the group of islands between Guadalcanal and the Gilbert Islands, where the Japanese had 3 air bases including Munda, Villa, the other name escapes me. We will be flying from the south base called Renard, which we will be sharing with 2 other Marine fighter squadrons, 1 AAF P-38 squadron, a Navy bomber sqadron, 1 Marine bomber squadron and 2 AFF light bomber squadrons. The North field is called Sunshine is more fighers than bombers based there.

I have chosen a VMF squadron for us to simulate, VMF-123 "The Flying 8-Balls". They were a minor VMF squadron that transitioned last (of the squadrons active on Guadalcanal) to Corsairs and arrived on Guadalcanal where they fought in the last phases of that battle in Wildcats. Anyway they were present around the time I am simulating and were not famous so i feel we can use them and not feel cheesy.

Ok so....I already have the templates done for the F4U-1a and the F4U-1d left over from my old squadron, even though it took me 6 hours on Sat to find them...lol. So, we will have an early skin (that is just nasty, oily, dirty etc) and a late skin (as in 2 or 3 tone skins). I figure by the time I am simulating, we are flying the -1a's not the -1's with the birdcage canopy which is a pain in the ass to see out of.

Here is what I need from those that want a set of skins.
1. any nose art you want on your plane. I have a bunch already so if you just want a girl then I'll pick one from what I have, or you can send me a pic of what you want. Go easy on me, make it something I can easily cut from the background.

2. Name of Plane or Nose Art. My plane is called Hells Belle with Betty Paige in red leather (or latex...who knows). So figure out a name and send it with the Nose Art.

3. Plane Number. My plane No. is 29. So on the early skin the plane No. will display like thus: 123-29 and Late will be a large 29 on the side. So pick a plane No.

4. Pick flight leads and section leads. Nothing to this other than tail colors and a letter. I figure we will fly at minimum is 2-four plane flights as there is typically 4-6 of us (mostly 4) so that is red lead, his wing, and Red section 2 and his wing. This gives us an AI wing to watch our butts sometimes. The consistent group seems to be Panzer, Me, Veg, Grifter and at times Jedi, Letterboy, Softball, DA, and maybe even Steel (hint...hint). So without Steel, thats 8 for 2 full flights if that happens or 9 for 3 flights. I know Red is the lead flight, I cant remember the order after that. Ok, so I'd propose putting Panzer in Red 1, Veg in Red 3. Me in 2nd Flight lead and Grifter in 2nd Flight #3...if thats ok with yall. The others will get skins to cover the holes in the 2 flights and maybe skins for 3rd and 4th flights (its easy...the assembly line is already set up, I turn on the correct layers and save...etc)

Anyway, get me that info if you can. Its going take me a little while to populate the Map for this 1st round of missions. I have our base done, will start to work on the north field, and continue to populate the Japanese bases so the AI will have something to bomb. Oh thats something else I wanted to say, until the landings on Bougainville late in 43, the Corsairs didnt carry bombs. They were primarily air interdiction and strafing targets of opportunity until someone made a make shift bomb rack on the centerline out of an old SBD bomb rack (IIRC it was someone in VF-17 that came up with this)....it wasnt until the 1d's came around that there were hard points for bombs and rockets. So most of our missions initially will be air to air.

Let me know what yall think
Last edited by Buffalo Six on 24 Nov 2008, 22:01, edited 2 times in total.
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

Buff do you have any grim reaper pics you can use as noseart and the name that I would like to use is LuLa Bell a co-worker friend of mine was born Dec. 7, 1941. Her and her husband own a very successful trucking company but she was bored at home so she took a job here just to get out of the house. Aircraft number "66".

DA
Grim Diablo, Grand Admiral, Erebus System Survey Group
Death Angel, SGT, 13th MEU
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

Lula Bell the grim reaper...check...er....ok whatever lol

Not sure if she will take that as a compliment
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

number 42
pic would like a black or red head girl, good rack PDT_Armataz_01_12
Name: Eleanor
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

here is my plane in the different skins. Early, Early Birdcage, Late and Dogfighting map (which removes the plane number so the game can add its own....no way around this)...BTW...these screenies were taken with both the could Mod running and the prop Mod.....I finally figured out how to make them active

Early Bircage

Early

Late

Dogfighting Map Skin
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

OK LULA BELL and if you got a (how do I be politically correct) woman who is African American, great rack and a nice round big ole juicy bum bum! No offense to you guys but a flat ass can only bend over and serve as a flat coffee table to hold my drink. If she can't stand str8 up and hold my coffee on one of those cheeks then I can't do it!!!

DA
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

It seems to me that the European theatre had all the cool ass aircraft while the guys in the pacific (Dayum Navy) chose the scraps, only thing worth speaking about is the Corsair. How do you think the Corsair would fair in Europe? Did any of the European aircraft besides the obvious Mustang and Spitfire see any service in the Pacific and vice versa?

DA
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

daofcmacg wrote:only thing worth speaking about is the Corsair. DA
Uh, what? I guess you forgot about the F6F Hellcat which was just as effective in every way as the F4U.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

Spits and Hurri's got chewed up early because they figured they could turn fight with the zero like they could the 109...and they got spanked for it. It took a while for the Brits to learn that lesson, which the Aussies and NZL guys already knew. P47s showed up late in the NG campaign and were used in the Okinawa and such. P38s were there from the beginning. We wont mention the P39/400/63 because it was a hunk of shit no matter what they named it.

now as to the nose art, I tend to use vintage stuff like Vargas, Pelt...you know stuff like that, and unfortunately that stuff has a lack of women of color, which sucks IMHO. I did find a cool looking grim reaper and I think I figured out how to put the name on the plane and have it look good with the reaper...if I get time this week I'll put it together
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Buffalo Six wrote: We wont mention the P39/400/63 because it was a hunk of shit no matter what they named it.
The P39 may have been a hunk of shit in the Pacific but it worked great for the Russians on the Eastern Front! A similar thing happened to the P38. The P38 really wasn't very effective in Europe but it did great in the Pacific.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

agreed Panzer.........now pick a dang plane number and Name and cup size of the girl for the side........lol
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Well put it another way, a mustang for example can't land on a carrior and is NOT up to the ruggedness of the navy. Those radial engines of the navy planes cook canon shot and just kept running while a mustanng would be gone. Now for army planes in the specific not sure why it was not there to be hones. But lots of good planes where there like the p38 and other nice toys. but some just where better meant for whooping germans
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

Ok I have the new Early Skins for myself, Veg and DA and I have our main airfield and stuff populated at Renard on Russell Is. I changed it up to VMF-124, and added their patch to the plane beside the kill markers.

**a note on the kill markers. I have 3 rows because I earned those with my old squadron, the DRB, in our campaigns, and each flag is 10 kills. I will give all of us some flags, but dont expect updates on kill totals...huge PIA**

I am still waiting on Panzer, Grifter, Jedi, Letterboy, and whoever else wants a set of IL2 WoF corsair skin (Steel, Softball, Bueler......Bueler?)

I am having to relearn photoshop and skinning (its coming back to me), but those skins were finished at 3am sunday morning

VMF-124 over Renard

My Plane.........

Veg......

DA.....
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

dam looks sweet
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

DAMN SWEET! DAMN SWEET IT IS! Now I have to live up to the legend of my nose art and everything will be A-OK!!!!!

DA
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Name my plane Eleanor. Gonna make grandma proud. Add skull and crossbones to the nose. The Grifter is a thief so the pirate insignia seems somewhat appropriate.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Um Griff I already got Eleanor for my plane LMAO
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

I changed it. But you owe my grandmother a big apology. Take it from me, I wouldn't piss her off if I were you.
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

Ok Latest update on skins.....AI planes are done also

Panzer.........

Grifter..........

Veg...........

DA........

Buff.........

Buff II..........

Buff Mid.........

Buff Mid late.........

I'm going to bed now..................
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Damn nice work Buff!! Thanks.