IL-2 Realism Settings

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

PanzerMeyer

IL-2 Realism Settings

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Ok, so I'd just like to get a consenus or some agreements here on what type of realism settings we want to play with.

I assume that most of us here dont have a problem with the cockpit view being forced on? I assume most of us want to do our own engine management. How about takeoffs? Do we want to go back to doing takeoffs? I dont care either way.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

take offs are fine now that i have the tail wheel lock mapped. remember just getting back in, so im just setting everything up; is forced cockpit on going to restrict us from the wide mode and zooming in on the reticle (i.e. pg down and delete)

If not im fine with that; my only reason for external views is to admire the catastrophic damage to my aircraft...

i say leave the in game map on though; i know it cheeses out the whole stuational awareness thing, however I can't spin my head around the cockpt like in real life (i know you say i can with the mouse and hat switch, but im not buying it)

If youleave that much on though, im fine with taking labels off

i already use trim of my own volition so i can fly straight without man handling the stick, no idea how pitch and mixture work, so that could be, err... fun...
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Hudson wrote:is forced cockpit on going to restrict us from the wide mode and zooming in on the reticle (i.e. pg down and delete)

If not im fine with that; my only reason for external views is to admire the catastrophic damage to my aircraft...

Forced cockpit just means that you cant turn off the cockpit so you get that invisible view with just the gunsight. You still have access to external views and you can still zoom in and out of the cockpit.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

I'm at work so I dont have all the switches in front of me but IIRC all the 1st page should be on, the second page....lets see. Cockpit always on is fine, remember to leave padlocking on for those without Track IR, clouds and head shake are on, as is no instant success. I perfer takeoffs and landings, but whatever is fine. Map icons (i.e. radar) I perfer off, but again whatever, and mini map path should be on....these are not Iron Ass missions (unless yall want me to make some) Speedbar on, and the others I cant remember.

Here is one suggestion we adhere to. Fly one plane set for the night. for example Germans, where some like to fly mudmovers, and others like fighters.....lets stick to one set. As Grifter said last week....its hard to find a groove between allied, german, russian, back to german etc...
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Buffalo Six wrote:Here is one suggestion we adhere to. Fly one plane set for the night. for example Germans, where some like to fly mudmovers, and others like fighters.....lets stick to one set. As Grifter said last week....its hard to find a groove between allied, german, russian, back to german etc...
Ok, we can try that tonight and see how it goes.
Jedi Master

Re: IL-2 Realism Settings

Post by Jedi Master »

PanzerMeyer wrote: I assume that most of us here dont have a problem with the cockpit view being forced on? I assume most of us want to do our own engine management.

You assume wrong.

I only fly Il-2 MP with you guys, never SP or anywhere else. I've never wanted to bother with engine management any more than I've wanted to preflight the planes, write up problem reports for the crew chief on landing, or filing claims for my kills afterwards.
The "cockpit on" view is just wrong. I've sat in small airplanes when flying and I get the feeling the cockpit views are like leaning the seat back so you see this massive panel in front of you...but you can't see crap out the front. In a real plane when you look out the front...it's like turning the cockpit off in these sims. Actually, real life is still better because I get a 120 degree view not the tiny 45 degrees or whatever "looking thru a straw" you get.
Plus, if you don't use it you won't be bothered by it, it's not like forcing the flight model on easy where everyone has to deal with it.

So, if you're all going to insist that's the only way you can BEAR to play because it's not real enough for you otherwise, let me know and I'll just uninstall it immediately.
The Jedi Master
Gator

Post by Gator »

Not that I fly this sim very often, but I agree with Jedi on this. Unless you're doing an adversarial dogfight tourny or some competitive deal, I don't see the issue.
Silence is golden - Duct Tape is silver
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

I don't have a problem with cockpits being on or off. Jedi has a good point. However, I do care about realistic flight/engine management and would like that stuff on.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Fair enough, I was just throwing suggestions out there for comment and I got what I wanted! LOL

Ok, we can allow people to turn off the cockpit if that's ok with most of you. As for the engine management stuff, I really dont think its that complicated to use Jedi. Once you have the commands mapped for it, its simply an issue of switching the supercharger level as you make significant changes in altitude.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

prefer no engine management, probably to Buff's chagrin. ;)

i just do not have time to learn it.
Helmut
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

if you flying a 109 then there is not much to do, those wily German engineers took most of it out of the pilots hands anyway...too bad they didnt add cockpit trim contol....but eh...shrugs.

On US planes (I tend to shun the Russian stuff...personal preference) the Prop RPM\Hg" combo is of great importance for 2 reasons. 1st the AI flys perfect CEM even if you dont have it checked, so if unchecked your already behind the curve in most aspects especially in E retention.

Secondly, without the ability to control the prop, as stated above your E suffers greatly. 100% coarse props bleeds E in great chunks and makes acceleration slower. In combat I set my Hg" at whatever for a given plane, for example the Mustang, 50" Hg, and the prop RPM at 2700 to open the fight. I leave my throttle alone except when coming over the top of a loop where I push full (not 110%) at the apex to get me over, then back the prop down when going down hill. This keeps the prop from acting like a brake. If I need to get away, I head down hill, keep the throttle in place, pull the prop back a little and accelerate until I hit about 400-410 mph, then level out, Prop to 2700 rpm, trim up and if needed I can take it to 60" Hg (100%) or 70" Hg (110%) for a short burst to gain separation. Try this and your E will stay with you allowing you to extend and re-eval the situation. You notice in the above Mustang example how I didnt mention the supercharger? On the P51 and P47 they are automatic...and for the most part dont come into play other than you have to be mindful of where the waste gate switches over to the next setting, 1st at about 12,000 and the next at 22,500

I have zero problem with the cockpit on or off. I have been known to use it (if available) for carrier landings and taxiing around on the ground.

one thing though, last night showed the hazard for airstarts in some COOPs, i.e. low assed starts with zero initial airspeed, and those in the 190's found out just how long that BMW 801b takes to spool up. So take offs for me are perfered. If you have the lock tailwheel mapped your good to go here, roll down the runway a little and lock the wheel.

Overall I had a great time last night, other than the damn AI ramming me 3 times.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

i actually prefer takeoff and landing. some folks do not seem to have the patience for the full mission though.
Helmut
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

I like takeoff and landing too.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Ok, I'll enable take offs/landings for our next IL-2 session and I'll remember to turn off engine management and engine overheats.
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

well if CEM and heat is off...might as well leave take offs off as well.....because at that point its all arcade mode anyway
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Buffalo Six wrote:well if CEM and heat is off...might as well leave take offs off as well.....because at that point its all arcade mode anyway
LOL Buff. I see your point. Maybe we should just have a vote on CEM and engine overheat then? Majority rules. :-)
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

whatever, but then dont cry when the AI out performs you because just because you dont want to use CEM, the AI does, and also fly's perfect.

Its just frustrating to me to see a bunch of guys that flew a complicated sim like falcon4, want to fly IL2 like an arcade game. But whatever, fly how you all want
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Buffalo Six wrote:Its just frustrating to me to see a bunch of guys that flew a complicated sim like falcon4, want to fly IL2 like an arcade game. But whatever, fly how you all want
I myself have no problem flying IL-2 with CEM and engine overheats. My main concern is that I dont want anyone to feel excluded because we are playing with realism settings that they might not want.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

it is not arcade mode, but each will have their own opinion. it is well known that the AI have an advantage in engine overheat no matter if CEM is on or off. anybody remember the Dingers? they did not fly CEM and made a point to turn off engine overheat. i would not say they were a bunch of arcadey types, rather realtively professional but relaxed in their enjoyment of the sim with enough reality to suspend disbelief. but o.k., you all go ahead. i usually can not make your times and days anyway and i do not have time to put in to learn it or at least be comfortable enough with it.
Helmut
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Well I like CEM. I like getting to fiddle with the controls; it's one more dynamic to attend to during combat and for me that makes it more realistic. I learned how to use CEM in one or two evenings. It's not all that complicated, forgive the pun. When Hammer's online with us, which is rare, we can always switch CEM off for a few missions. No biggie. The professionalism comes from the pilots, not the sim.