IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hudson

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

Post by Hudson »

According to Steam:
This game will unlock in approximately 1 month, 1 day and 15 hours

If you pre-order you get Silent Hunter III. I would love to play more IL-2 so I've preordered.
Buffalo Six

Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

Post by Buffalo Six »

wanna take a guess who made that map?
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I'll be pre-ordering it tonight.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Buffalo Six wrote:wanna take a guess who made that map?
You?
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

Hudson wrote:
Buffalo Six wrote:wanna take a guess who made that map?
You?
No. But the 352nd boys that made that mod for IL2 that added all those air bases for a 1940ish map also started working for the team that makes the "official" mods for Olegs crew (because they are working on the......whatever they are calling the next version of IL2 starting in the BoB). When the IL2 crew (Oleg and others who work for him) saw what the 352nd was doing map wise they gave them the official Dev tools to make the maps better (and smaller) and easier to import into the official IL2 dev packets that Oleg then approves for release as a new version.

At the time it was all very hush hush, and NDAs were signed but now that its being shown and a release date is stated, I think I can talk about it.

Anyway, those maps are the BoB maps that the 352nd built over a 3 year span, and Oleg liked them so much he added them to a new version release. Hell we (the 352nd) and I made a ton of missions for the entire BoB on a day by day, sortie by sortie basis. I wonder if my missions are still in the packet, they tended to big and lots of targets =)

- Buff
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

NIce - that's pretty cool. And if your missions are big then hopefully it's in there since they're boasting up to 128 player online...
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

er....after looking around the "interwebs" I may be in error.

Is this the thing Oleg has been working on that used to be called BoB:WoV?

or is this just a new boxed version of IL2 like Pacific Fighters for example? If its the latter, then yes those are the 352nd's maps used.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Buffalo Six wrote:er....after looking around the "interwebs" I may be in error.

Is this the thing Oleg has been working on that used to be called BoB:WoV?

or is this just a new boxed version of IL2 like Pacific Fighters for example? If its the latter, then yes those are the 352nd's maps used.

This sim is what originally was going to be called Storm of War but was renamed to Cliffs of Dover.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

beats me - i just like IL-2 and black shark (not that I can even remember how to fly it anymore) and such; I'm not the flight sim guru :)

but isn't bob wov and bob wov ii already out since like 2005?

i thought the only thing mister insano Oleg has been working on for all this time is painting the rivets on the planes in cliffs of dover... at least that's what I always hear...

I'm not going to lie, I think it looks like IL-2 with prettier graphics, but if it pushes my i7/GTX280 (i know that second half isnt so hard anymore, but il-2 certainly can't :) ), looks prettier, and has the better flight models are supposed to be in it, then I'm all over it; I always did like IL-2 even if all I ever manage to do is crash in the ground - somehow it's much different and better than getting shot in the face in ArmA by the enemies that can see me through trees - maybe because the ground harbors me no ill will (least none that I know of...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO35o8IRDz0
Last edited by Hudson on 22 Mar 2011, 07:23, edited 1 time in total.
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

ok, then these are not the 352nd maps. They couldnt port them over because they used a very different format.

My bad.............

looks good, I will pre-order also
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Cool - maybe all of us that get it can get together the friday night after it comes out and play some - i think i might actually be between semesters so I can probably put some time to it to learn how to fly (crash) again
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Awesome plan Hudson. I'd love for us to actually do flight sims again after a very long hiatus.
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

well my PC needs a major upgrade as its about on its last legs.

If I can ever get done with Dads Estate and stuff I might actually have time to build a new PC
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

if you havent pre-ordered yet and you were planning to get it, it sounds like if you buy it on justflight.com you can punch the serial number they give you into steam and download the game now; the funny part being if you actually ordered it on steam you get to wait till the 19th or 26th or whenever it is being released. It sounds like the game is riddled with performance problems and other bugs though so it may just be best to wait it out and pray for a few patches in the next couple weeks.

From sounds of it they just got one in to improve rendering of building and improve performance; another one for the trees is due and should make things WAY better from what I read.

Good news is they decided to make the epilepsy filter optional so it is at least playable now; can't imagine how it must have been with it; probably a damn slideshow.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Hudson wrote:Good news is they decided to make the epilepsy filter optional so it is at least playable now; can't imagine how it must have been with it; probably a damn slideshow.
That is absolutely great news!! It still hasn't unlocked on Steam though. That's ok, I have other games keeping me busy right now.
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

So unfortunately the game was moved to the 26th on Steam - that corresponds with what some other sites were saying, as opposed to the 19th that Steam and a few others had listed... sounds like yet another patch was dropped and Ubi has actually been apologizing on their forums; sounds like 1C made a bit of a mess with this one.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I dont mind the delay if it means it will give Oleg more time to make another patch to fix more issues. I have plenty of other games taking up my time right now anyway so I'm in no rush.
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

Hello ALL! I just purchased a new BareBone RIG!
I3-550 3.2GHz 4M 1156 CPU
H55M-E23 mATX Motherboard With Dual Channel Mem Capability
CoolerMaster Blue Mid Tower Chassis
550 WATT ULTRA ATX Power Supply
Currently 4GIGs DDR3 10600 1333 Dual Channel (will upgrade to 8GIG, I purchased 4 waiting on funds to purchase the other stick).
GeForce 9600 GSO, Will be upgrading to the GeForce GTX 460 SE real soon.

Unfortuantely since I am unemployed (Laid off what can you do right) I made this purchase to finally finish up my certs. Funny how my old rig just couldn't do virtualization, I wonder why? I cannot make any software purchases but I am sure what I have will work wonders. Looking forward to seeing you guys up in the sky with the new IL-2 sometime soon (What the hell happened to that other Flight SIMM?).

DA
Grim Diablo, Grand Admiral, Erebus System Survey Group
Death Angel, SGT, 13th MEU
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Yikes, I'm sorry to hear about the layoff DA. Hopefully you'll find something better very soon.

Take care,
Adam.
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

DA do you already have cliffs of dover or black shark? I know you can't buy anything new and completely understandable, but if you already have one/both we're in business :)