Immelman and Hammerhead Galore!

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Grifter

Immelman and Hammerhead Galore!

Post by Grifter »

Today I finally did a true immelman for the first time. Though it may have actually been a hammerhead. Whilst in a dogfight with ruffian Me109 fighters, I took the ol' bird into a climb, nose straight up. The plane's airspeed reached zero and then the funniest thing happened: the speedometer actually started reading negative numbers as I fell straight back down the same flight path I'm climbed in. The plane eventually flipped on over to the nose down position, gaining 100knts in under three seconds. It was wicked cool! 8)
Madrus

Post by Madrus »

you are describing a hammerhead stall.

an immelman is when you pull the nose up to do an inside loop. when you are inverted at the top of the loop, you roll 180 degrees until your wings are level and end up in level flight going 180 degrees from your entry heading and at a higher altitude.
"A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away." --Barry Goldwater
[img]http://home.online.no/~rgt36/grafikk/fa-18-rot.gif[/img]
Softball

Flight maneuver

Post by Softball »

Show off! :)

I picked up IL2 Barbarossa today, looks like fun. Gonna check it out tonight.

I would not mind flying IL2 more often, it has been quite fun. I can't wait until we start flying IL2:FB, same game, more eye candy and more planes.

With the patch 1.1b for IL2:FB now out, I hope we can fly it soon. So, if you have IL2 and not IL2:FB, go get it. Pretty Please? You can probably find it cheap on Ebay or somewhere online.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Yes, but in the old days was'nt the immelman. Or at least, that's what I've read. Did'n the Red Baron do a near stall tactic like a hammerhead, but they called it an immelman at the time? Well no matter, Madrus is right, I guess I was doing what they now call a Hammerhead. I think it may be a useful dogfight tactic if you're enemy is head away and below. I'll have to try it.